Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy-Euler ODEs question

1. Dec 25, 2015 #1
    Why these ODEs when applied some boundary conditions, like x = 0, their solution of the form Ax^k + Bx^(-k), B WILL have to go to zero?Like some problems which involve spherical harmonics...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2015 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The negative exponent of the B coefficient term implies divergent solution at x=0. If you are considering solutions with physical interpretation such as electron wave functions then the physical application is contradicted by the divergence at infinity. Those solutions don't apply and you set B = 0.

4. Dec 25, 2015 #3
    Yeah i understand why when x->infinity the solution is inconsistent, cause it's blow up, but i simply don't get it WHY x=0 implies in a divergent solution and B has to be 0, there's a more deep explanation?

5. Dec 25, 2015 #4

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[itex]B x^{-k}=\frac{B}{x^k} = \frac{B}{0}[/itex] when [itex]x=0[/itex].

6. Dec 25, 2015 #5
    Oh damn, i'm stupid , i was thinking in that, but it appears so simple that i forget this option because some texts are very confusing , and thank you so much for killing that existential question for me :D...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook