1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy geometric seq. proof

1. May 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose the sequence (Sn) is defined as:
    |Sn+1-Sn|<2-n
    show that this is a cauchy sequence

2. Relevant equations
    hint: prove the polygon identity such that
    d(Sn,Sm)≤d(Sn,Sn+1)+d(Sn+1,Sn+2)...+d(Sm-1,Sm)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have defined Sm and Sn and created the inequality that:
    d(Sn,Sm)=|2-n-2-m|>||Sn+1-Sn|-|Sm+1-Sm||

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2012 #2
    Using the hint, you'd get |Sn-Sm|<|Sn-Sn+1|+...+|Sm-1-Sm|<2-n+...+2-m
    Is there any type of cauchy sequence (perhaps of partial sums) that would fit the latter half?

4. May 28, 2012 #3
    ok I think I get what I can do now with the polygon ineq. except I thought that it would only be less than 2-n+...+2m-1also I don't know if I need to prove the polygon identity or not. if I did how would I go about it? would I use a fact of geometric series?

5. May 29, 2012 #4
    Proving the "polygon" identity comes as a direct result of the definition of a metric, and the triangle inequality. A simple proof by induction would suffice.
    While it is true you could remove the factor of 2-m from the inequality, you can add it on and still have the inequality hold true (plus it's better looking notation wise).
    We know Ʃ2-n is a geometric series, and thus converges. Convergent sequences of partial sums (partial sums of a geometric series) are cauchy sequences. So Ʃ2-k from 1 to n minus Ʃ2-k from 1 to m would be less than ε

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook