How to Use Cauchy Integral Formula for Circle Contour Integrals?

In summary, the integrals are not applicable because the function is not holomorphic inside the circle of radius 2a.
hancock.yang@

Homework Statement

Using the Cauchy Integral Formula compute the following integrals,where C is a circle of radius 2a centered at z=o, where 2a<pi

Homework Equations

[tex]\oint\frac{(z-a)e^{z}}{(z+a)sinz}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Integrated around |z|=2a? If you write your integrand as f(z)/z (you figure out what f(z) would need to be) the Cauchy integral formula would tell you what the integral is in terms of f(0). Which would be very nice but the Cauchy integral formula doesn't apply because f(z)/z isn't holomorphic inside |z|=2a. Aside from a removable singularity at z=0 there's a pole at z=a. Are you sure you wrote the problem down correctly?

Dick said:
Integrated around |z|=2a? If you write your integrand as f(z)/z (you figure out what f(z) would need to be) the Cauchy integral formula would tell you what the integral is in terms of f(0). Which would be very nice but the Cauchy integral formula doesn't apply because f(z)/z isn't holomorphic inside |z|=2a. Aside from a removable singularity at z=0 there's a pole at z=a. Are you sure you wrote the problem down correctly?
yes.
I have done the form like this:
[tex]\oint\frac{(z-a)e^{z}}{(z+a)}\frac{dz}{sinz}[/tex] + [tex]\oint\frac{(z-a)e^{z}}{sinz}\frac{dz}{(z+a)}[/tex]
however the first one is not the standard Cauchy Integral Formula

Last edited:
hancock.yang@ said:
yes.
I have sperate the form like this:
[tex]\oint\frac{(z-a)e^{z}}{(z+a)}\frac{dz}{sinz}[/tex]+[tex]\oint\frac{(z-a)e^{z}}{sinz}\frac{dz}{(z-a)}[/tex]

I really don't understand what you are saying there. Did you alter the original problem statement? If so, what was the original?

Dick said:
I really don't understand what you are saying there. Did you alter the original problem statement? If so, what was the original?
The original problem is this:
[tex]\oint\frac{(z-a)e^{z}}{(z+a)sinz}[/tex]dz c=2a centered at z=0 2a<pi

we can express the integral around the contour as the sum of the integral around z1 and z2 where the contour is a small circle around each pole. Call these contours C1 around z1 and C2 around z2.

So I am tying to express this original problem like:
[tex]\oint\frac{(z-a)e^{z}}{(z+a)}\frac{dz}{sinz}[/tex] + [tex]\oint\frac{(z-a)e^{z}}{sinz}\frac{dz}{(z+a)}[/tex]

Ok, so you are really doing as a residue theorem problem, not just a Cauchy integral problem. In one of those integrals you should multiply by (z-0) and let z approach 0 and in the other one multiply by (z+a) and let z approach -a, right?

Dick said:
Ok, so you are really doing as a residue theorem problem, not just a Cauchy integral problem. In one of those integrals you should multiply by (z-0) and let z approach 0 and in the other one multiply by (z+a) and let z approach -a, right?

Well,thanks. Could you please give a quick explanation of Cauchy Residue Theorem?

You should probably look it up. I don't necessarily explain things that well. The Cauchy Integral Theorem just says f(a)=(1/(2*pi*i)) times the contour integral f(z)/(z-a) over a circle where f(z) is holomorphic. The residue theorem is the obvious generalization of that to the case where you have multiple poles in a single domain and you cut out a circle around each one and add them up. Which is what you are doing.

Dick said:
You should probably look it up. I don't necessarily explain things that well. The Cauchy Integral Theorem just says f(a)=(1/(2*pi*i)) times the contour integral f(z)/(z-a) over a circle where f(z) is holomorphic. The residue theorem is the obvious generalization of that to the case where you have multiple poles in a single domain and you cut out a circle around each one and add them up. Which is what you are doing.

Thanks, I have worked it out

1. What is the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that relates the values of a function on the boundary of a region to its values inside the region. It is used to calculate the values of a holomorphic function at any point, given its values on the boundary of a disk or contour.

2. Who discovered the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula was discovered by French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy in the early 19th century. He was one of the pioneers of complex analysis and made significant contributions to the field.

3. What is the significance of the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is significant because it allows for the evaluation of complex integrals without having to directly calculate them. It also provides a way to extend the concept of differentiation to complex functions, which has important applications in physics and engineering.

4. Can the Cauchy Integral Formula be applied to non-holomorphic functions?

No, the Cauchy Integral Formula only applies to holomorphic functions, which are complex functions that are differentiable at every point in their domain. If a function is not holomorphic, the Cauchy Integral Formula cannot be used to evaluate its values.

5. How is the Cauchy Integral Formula used in real-world applications?

The Cauchy Integral Formula has a wide range of applications, including solving boundary value problems in physics and engineering, calculating electric potentials and currents in electromagnetism, and finding solutions to differential equations. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics and mathematical physics.