Power Series Expansion of Cauchy Integral Formula on the Unit Circle

In summary, f is defined as the Cauchy Integral Formula with a contour C and a continuous function g(u) = \bar{u}. It is analytic in the unit circle C and can be described as a power series with coefficients c_n = \int_C\frac{\bar{u}}{(u-z_0)^{n+1}}du. However, f does not equal g since \bar{u} is not holomorphic in the disk.
fauboca
For all z inside of C (C the unit circle oriented counterclockwise),
[tex]
f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_C \frac{g(u)}{u-z} du
[/tex]
where [itex]g(u) = \bar{u}[/itex] is a continuous function and [itex]f[/itex] is analytic in C. Describe [itex]f[/itex]in C in terms of a power series.

[itex]\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_C \frac{\bar{u}}{u-z} du[/itex] I am confused with what I am supposed to do. I know it says describe [itex]f[/itex] in terms of a power series.

Physics news on Phys.org
If f is analytic in C, then its Taylor series should converge to f everywhere in C, right?

alanlu said:
If f is analytic in C, then its Taylor series should converge to f everywhere in C, right?

Yes.

[tex]f(z)=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_C\frac{\bar{u}}{u-z}du\Rightarrow 2\pi if(z)=\int_C\frac{\bar{u}}{u-z_0}\frac{1}{1-\frac{z-z_0}{u-z_0}}du[/tex]

[itex]z_0[/itex] is not necessarily on [itex]C[/itex]. Let [itex]s=\inf\{|C(t)-z_0|:C(t) \ \text{any point on} \ C\}[/itex] Since [itex]C[/itex] is compact, [itex]s>0[/itex].
Let [itex]r[/itex] be the radius of the open disc around [itex]z_0[/itex] such that the disc doesn't intersect [itex]C[/itex]. Take [itex]z\in D(z_0,r)[/itex] fix [itex]r[/itex] such that [itex]0<r<s[/itex].

[itex]\frac{z-z_0}{u-z_0}[/itex] is uniformly bounded since the max [itex]z-z_0[/itex] is r and the min [itex]u-z_0[/itex] is s so [itex]\frac{r}{s}<1[/itex].

[tex]
2\pi i f(z) = \int_C \frac{\bar{u}}{u-z_0}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(u-z_0)^n}(z-z_0)^n du
[/tex]
The series converges uniformly for all r<s and pointwise for all z with [itex]z\in D(z_0,s)[/itex]. So we can integrate term by term.

[tex]
2\pi i f(z) = \sum_n^{\infty}\left[\int_C\frac{\bar{u}}{(u-z_0)^{n+1}}du(z-z_0)^n\right]
[/tex]

Let [itex]c_n=\int_C\frac{\bar{u}}{(u-z_0)^{n+1}}du[/itex]. Then
[tex]
2\pi i f(z) = \sum_n^{\infty}c_n(z-z_0)^n
[/tex]

Now how can I explain why [itex]f[/itex] does or does not equal [itex]g[/itex]? Is f described correctly as a power series here as well?

fauboca said:
[tex]f(z)=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_C\frac{\bar{u}}{u-z}du\Rightarrow 2\pi if(z)=\int_C\frac{\bar{u}}{u-z_0}\frac{1}{1-\frac{z-z_0}{u-z_0}}du[/tex]

[itex]z_0[/itex] is not necessarily on [itex]C[/itex]. Let [itex]s=\inf\{|C(t)-z_0|:C(t) \ \text{any point on} \ C\}[/itex] Since [itex]C[/itex] is compact, [itex]s>0[/itex].
Let [itex]r[/itex] be the radius of the open disc around [itex]z_0[/itex] such that the disc doesn't intersect [itex]C[/itex]. Take [itex]z\in D(z_0,r)[/itex] fix [itex]r[/itex] such that [itex]0<r<s[/itex].

[itex]\frac{z-z_0}{u-z_0}[/itex] is uniformly bounded since the max [itex]z-z_0[/itex] is r and the min [itex]u-z_0[/itex] is s so [itex]\frac{r}{s}<1[/itex].

[tex]
2\pi i f(z) = \int_C \frac{\bar{u}}{u-z_0}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(u-z_0)^n}(z-z_0)^n du
[/tex]
The series converges uniformly for all r<s and pointwise for all z with [itex]z\in D(z_0,s)[/itex]. So we can integrate term by term.

[tex]
2\pi i f(z) = \sum_n^{\infty}\left[\int_C\frac{\bar{u}}{(u-z_0)^{n+1}}du(z-z_0)^n\right]
[/tex]

Let [itex]c_n=\int_C\frac{\bar{u}}{(u-z_0)^{n+1}}du[/itex]. Then
[tex]
2\pi i f(z) = \sum_n^{\infty}c_n(z-z_0)^n
[/tex]

Now how can I explain why [itex]f[/itex] does or does not equal [itex]g[/itex]? Is f described correctly as a power series here as well?

From here, I can expand at [itex]z_0 = 0[/itex] around the unit circle and evaluate the coefficient.

$$
f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{u}}{u^{n+1}}du z^n
$$

For n = 0, we have

$$
\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{u}}{u}du
$$

How is this integral evaluated?

Like this:

$$
\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{u}}{u}du = 2\pi i 0
$$

By the Cauchy Integral Formula, then divide by 2\pi i but here the sol is 0 regardless?

The second term would be

$$
\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{u}}{u^2}du
$$

How would I integrate this?

Last edited:
fauboca said:
From here, I can expand at [itex]z_0 = 0[/itex] around the unit circle and evaluate the coefficient.

$$
f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{u}}{u^{n+1}}du z^n
$$

For n = 0, we have

$$
\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{u}}{u}du
$$

How is this integral evaluated?

Like this:

$$
\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{u}}{u}du = 2\pi i 0
$$

By the Cauchy Integral Formula, then divide by 2\pi i but here the sol is 0 regardless?

The second term would be

$$
\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{u}}{u^2}du
$$

How would I integrate this?

$$
f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\left[\int_C\frac{\bar{u}}{u^{n + 1}}du z^n\right].
$$
Since [itex]\bar{u}[/itex] is not holomorphic in the disk, [itex]f\neq g[/itex].
Then
$$
f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\left[\underbrace{z^0\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{u}}{u}du}_{0} + z\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{u}}{u^2}du + z^2\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{u}}{u^3}du + \cdots\right].
$$

Is this how f should be described, because I have no idea how to integrate the functions when the denominator has a power of 2 or greater.

What is the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that relates the values of a function inside a closed contour to the values of the function on the boundary of the contour. It is named after the French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy.

What is the significance of the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is significant because it allows for the calculation of complex line integrals, which are used in many applications such as solving differential equations, determining areas and volumes, and calculating work in physics.

What is the difference between the Cauchy Integral Formula and the Cauchy's Theorem?

Cauchy's Theorem is a generalization of the Cauchy Integral Formula. While the Cauchy Integral Formula relates the values of a function inside a contour to the values on the contour, Cauchy's Theorem states that the integral of a holomorphic function over a closed contour is equal to zero.

How is the Cauchy Integral Formula used in complex analysis?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is used to prove many other theorems and formulas in complex analysis, including the Cauchy Integral Theorem, Cauchy's Residue Theorem, and the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. It also has applications in solving partial differential equations, conformal mapping, and the study of holomorphic functions.

What are the conditions for the Cauchy Integral Formula to hold?

The Cauchy Integral Formula holds when the function being integrated is holomorphic (analytic) inside the contour and on the contour itself. Additionally, the contour must be simple (not intersecting itself) and positively oriented (traversed counterclockwise).