Using Cauchy Multiplication to Find Coefficients in Laurent Series for 1/f(z)

In summary, the Laurent series for h(z) can be determined by using the Cauchy product and setting the powers of z to be equal to zero in the resulting equation. This gives us a recursion formula for the coefficients, which can then be used to determine all the coefficients in the Laurent series for h.
sigmund
I have a function

[tex]2-z^2-2\cos z,[/tex]
which has a zero at [itex]z=0[/itex].

I have determined the Maclaurin series for [itex]f[/itex]:

[tex]\sum_{j=2}^\infty(-1)^{j-1}\frac{2z^{2j}}{(2j)!},[/tex]
and now I have to determine the coefficients [itex]a_{-j},~\forall j>0,[/itex] in the Laurent series for a function [itex]h[/itex], which is defined as [itex]h(z)=1/f(z)[/itex].
For this purpose I want to use Cauchy multiplication, where I multiply the series for f by the series for h, because I know that the result is the series for 1, i.e. a 1 with all the following terms equal zero. However, when applying this, I do not get any useful result, because the positive exponents in the series for f dominate the negative exponents in the series for h, and hence I am unable to determine the coefficients [itex]a_{-j}[/itex] of the [itex]z^{-j}[/itex] terms in the series for h.

Could anyone give me a hint to a solving procedure, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Laurent Series via Cauchy Product

Rudin gives the formula for the Cauchy product of series as it is presented in this http://mwt.e-technik.uni-ulm.de/world/lehre/basic_mathematics/di/node14.php3 .

A quick version is:

Suppose [itex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n[/itex] and [itex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} b_n[/itex] converge absolutely. Then

[tex]\left( \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n\right) \left( \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} b_n\right) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \sum_{k=0}^{n} a_{k}b_{n-k}[/tex] also converges absolutely.

Alternately, look here, under the heading A Variant.

In particular, we know that

[tex]f(z)=2-z^2-2\cos z,[/tex]

which is an even function and which has the Maclaurin series

[tex]f(z)=\sum_{j=2}^{\infty}(-1)^{j-1}\frac{2z^{2j}}{(2j)!}[/tex]

We also know that [itex]f(z)h(z)=1[/itex]; so suppose that the Laurent series for h is given by

[tex]h(z)=\sum_{j=-\infty}^{\infty} a_{j}z^{j}[/tex]

What do we already know about said Laurent series? Well, if f(z) has a zero of order m at z=0, then h(z) has a pole of order m at z=0. Since

[tex]f^{(n)}(0)=0\mbox{ for } n=0,1,2,3,\mbox{ but }f^{(4)}(0)=-2,[/tex]

we have m=4, and hence [itex]a_{-j}=0, \forall j>4[/itex]. We know h(z) is an even function (since the same is true of f(z)), and therefore [itex]a_{2k+1}=0, \forall k\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex]. Our refined guess at the Laurent series for h(z) is

[tex]h(z)=\sum_{k=-2}^{\infty} a_{2k}z^{2k}[/tex]

Far enough, on with the so-called nitty-gritty:

[tex]f(z)h(z)= \left( \sum_{j=2}^{\infty}(-1)^{j-1}\frac{2z^{2j}}{(2j)!}\right) \left( \sum_{k=-2}^{\infty} a_{2k}z^{2k}\right) [/tex]

re-index the sums to start at zero so that the Cauchy product is "nice"...

[tex]f(z)h(z)= \left( 2\sum_{j=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{j+1}\frac{z^{2j+4}}{(2j+4)!}\right) \left( \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} a_{2k-4}z^{2k-4}\right) [/tex]
[tex]=2\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{k=0}^{n} a_{2n-2k-4} z^{2n-2k-4} (-1)^{k+1} \frac{z^{2k+4}}{(2k+4)!} = 2\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} z^{2n}\sum_{k=0}^{n}(-1)^{k+1} \frac{a_{2n-2k-4}}{(2k+4)!} =1 ,[/tex]

and hence, equating coefficients of like powers of z on both sides, we have:

the only surviving term on the right corresponds to [itex]n=0[/itex], so that [itex]k=0[/itex] also, yielding [itex]\frac{-2a_{-4}}{1!}=1\Rightarrow a_{-4}=-\frac{1}{2}[/itex];

all other other powers of z on the right have coefficients of zero so that

[tex]2\sum_{k=0}^{n}(-1)^{k+1} \frac{a_{2n-2k-4}}{(2k+4)!} =0,\forall n\geq 1[/tex]

plug-in the know value of [itex]a_{-4}=-\frac{1}{2}[/itex], see if you can determine the rest of the sequence from the. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
benorin said:
(...)
and hence, equating coefficients of like powers of z on both sides, we have:
the only surviving term on the right corresponds to [itex]n=0[/itex], so that [itex]k=0[/itex] also, yielding [itex]\frac{-2a_{-4}}{1!}=1\Rightarrow a_{-4}=-\frac{1}{2}[/itex];
(...)

Actually, I cannot follow you here. The sides of which equation are you talking of?

If you set n=0 and k=0 in the last equation (the result of the Cauchy multiplication), you should get [itex]\frac{-2a_{-4}}{4!}=1\Leftrightarrow a_{-4}=-12[/itex]. And then, using the recursion formula (the very last equation of your post), we get [itex]a_{-2}=-\frac{2}{5}[/itex].

These two coefficients are the only non-zero coefficients of negative powers of z in the Laurent series.

benorin said:
(...)
the only surviving term on the right corresponds to [itex]n=0[/itex], so that [itex]k=0[/itex] also,
(...)

Well, I think I have got it now. The series for 1 does only consist of a constant term, hence we set n=0. Then k=0 also, and we determine the coefficient a_{-4}, using the Cauchy product. All the other coefficients in the series for 1 are zero. Thus we get the recursion formula (stated in your post) from which we can determine the other coeffients in the Laurent series for h.

1. What is Cauchy multiplication?

Cauchy multiplication is a mathematical operation used in complex analysis to find the coefficients in a Laurent series for 1/f(z). It involves multiplying a function f(z) by the reciprocal of the variable z and integrating around a closed contour.

2. Why is Cauchy multiplication used to find coefficients in Laurent series?

Cauchy multiplication is used because it allows us to calculate the coefficients in a Laurent series without having to explicitly find derivatives of the function f(z). This can be useful when working with functions that are difficult to differentiate.

3. How does Cauchy multiplication work?

To use Cauchy multiplication, we first find the Laurent series for 1/f(z) by using the Cauchy integral formula. Then, we multiply this series by 1/z and integrate around a closed contour. The coefficients of the resulting series are the coefficients in the Laurent series for 1/f(z).

4. Is Cauchy multiplication always accurate in finding coefficients in Laurent series?

No, Cauchy multiplication is not always accurate. It relies on the function f(z) being analytic within the contour used for integration. If f(z) has singularities within the contour, Cauchy multiplication may not produce accurate results.

5. Are there any alternatives to using Cauchy multiplication for finding coefficients in Laurent series?

Yes, there are other methods for finding coefficients in Laurent series, such as using the Cauchy residue theorem or differentiating the Laurent series directly. The choice of method will depend on the specific function and its properties.