Why is ε→0⁺ used in both terms of the Cauchy principal value formula?

In summary, the cauchy principal value formula is:-If ε is small, then the cauchy principle value is 0; however, if ε is large, then the cauchy principle value is ε.
Jhenrique
The cauchy principal value formula is:

8dc5ef8906297e8e49549b3168c29bf7.png

But why ε→0⁺ in both terms? The correct wouldn't be ε→0⁻ in 1st term and ε→0⁺ in 2nd term? Like:

[tex]\lim_{\varepsilon \to 0^-}\int_{a}^{c-\varepsilon}f(x)dx + \lim_{\varepsilon \to 0^+}\int_{c+\varepsilon}^{b}f(x)dx[/tex]

?

Physics news on Phys.org
no if you do that c is in the interval
we want to exclude c

but if I define the superior limit in first integral like c+ε, so the expression below will be correct now?

[tex]\lim_{\varepsilon \to 0^-}\int_{a}^{c+\varepsilon}f(x)dx + \lim_{\varepsilon \to 0^+}\int_{c+\varepsilon}^{b}f(x)dx[/tex]

Jhenrique said:
but if I define the superior limit in first integral like c+ε, so the expression below will be correct now?

[tex]\lim_{\varepsilon \to 0^-}\int_{a}^{c+\varepsilon}f(x)dx + \lim_{\varepsilon \to 0^+}\int_{c+\varepsilon}^{b}f(x)dx[/tex]

There's no difference between adding a small -ve ε and subtracting a small +ve ε.

... although that definition is not equivalent as now you have two separate limits, so what you've defined is the improper integral as both limits must exist independently.

This is definitely wrong! The correct definition has been given in the posting by Jhenrique! The important point of the definition of the Cauchy PV is to leave out a tiny SYMMETRICAL "window" around the singularity and then make this window arbitrarily small.

The difference can be demonstrated by a simple example. E.g., take the Cauchy principle value
[tex]I=\text{PV} \int_{-1}^{1} \mathrm{d} x \frac{1}{x}.[/tex]
Now the correct definition is
[tex]I=\lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0^+} \left (\int_{-1}^{-\epsilon} \mathrm{d} x \frac{1}{x}+\int_{\epsilon}^1 \mathrm{d x} \frac{1}{x} \right ) = \ln \epsilon-\ln \epsilon=0.[/tex]
If you try to take the limits of the two integrals separately, these limits do not even exist in this way!

vanhees71 said:
This is definitely wrong! The correct definition has been given in the posting by Jhenrique!

With all due respect, I think you've got confused about who posted what. JHenrique posted an alternative defn of the CPV, which I pointed out was in fact the defn of an Improper Integral.

You've really muddied the waters if you're saying JH is correct with his alternative definition.

What is the Cauchy principal value?

The Cauchy principal value is a method used in mathematics to find the value of an improper integral. It is used when the integral does not exist in the traditional sense due to the presence of an infinite or undefined term.

How is the Cauchy principal value calculated?

The Cauchy principal value is calculated by taking the limit of a function as it approaches a singularity (such as infinity or a point where the function is undefined). This is done by taking the average of the two-sided limits of the function.

When should the Cauchy principal value be used?

The Cauchy principal value should be used when a traditional integral cannot be evaluated due to an infinite or undefined term. It can also be used to find a more accurate value for an integral that has a discontinuity or singularity.

What are the limitations of the Cauchy principal value?

The Cauchy principal value has limitations in that it can only be used for certain types of improper integrals. It also does not always provide a unique solution and may give different results depending on the path taken to approach the singularity.

What are some real-world applications of the Cauchy principal value?

The Cauchy principal value has applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics and electromagnetism. It is also used in engineering and finance to evaluate complex integrals and to model certain phenomena.