Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy Riemann Conditions Question

1. Oct 15, 2004 #1
    Ok, I am told in a complex analysis book that the gradient squared of u is equal to the gradient squared of v which is equal to 0.

We know the derivate of w exists, and w(z)=u(x,y) + iv(x,y)

Thus the Cauchy Riemann conditions must hold. (When I use d assume that it refers to a partial derivative)

So du/dx=dv/dy and du/dy=-dv/dx by Cauchy Riemann

We know the gradient squared of u is equal to d^2u/dx^2 + d^2u/dy^2 is equal to d^2v/dy^2 - d^2v/dx^2

We know the gradient squared of v is equal to d^2v/dx^2 + d^2v/dy^2 which is equal to d^2u/dx^2 - d^2u/dy^2

Am I correct in assuming this? And if I am, I dont see how the gradient squared of u is equal to the gradient squared of v. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Cauchy-Riemann conditions:
    (a) du/dx= dv/dy and (b) du/dy= - dv/dx

Differentiate both sides of (a) with respect to x:
    d2/dx2= d2v/dydx

Differentiate both sides of (b) with respect to y:
    d2u/dy2= -d2v/dydx

Adding: d2/dx2+ d2u/dy2= d2v/dydx -d2v/dydx= 0.

Differentiate (a) with respect to y and (b) with respect to x and subtract to get the formula for v.

The "Laplacian" (what you are calling "gradient squared") of u and v are not just equal, they are both 0. The real and imaginary parts of an analytic function are always "harmonic functions", i.e. they satisfy
    [itex]\Delta u=0[/itex] and [itex]\Delta v= 0[/itex].

Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?