Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Cauchy-Riemann conditions

1. Mar 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The functions u(x,y) and v(x,y) are the real and imaginary parts, respectively, of an analytic function w(z).
    Assuming that the required derivatives exist, show that

[tex]\bigtriangledown^2 u=\bigtriangledown^2 v=0[/tex]

Solutions of Laplace's equation such as u(x,y) and v(x,y) are called harmonic functions.

2. Relevant equations
    Cauchy-Riemann conditions:

[tex]\frac{\delta u}{\delta x} = \frac{\delta v}{\delta y}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\delta u}{\delta y} = -\frac{\delta v}{\delta x}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I expanded [tex]\bigtriangledown^2 u = \frac{\delta u}{\delta x}\frac{\delta u}{\delta x} + \frac{\delta u}{\delta y}\frac{\delta u}{\delta y}[/tex] and using the Cauchy-Riemann conditions I found

[tex]\bigtriangledown^2 u = \frac{\delta v}{\delta y}\frac{\delta v}{\delta y} + \frac{\delta v}{\delta x}\frac{\delta v}{\delta x}=\bigtriangledown^2 v[/tex]

What I can't figure out how to do is prove that this is equal to zero.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2007 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your eqs. for del^2 are wrong.
    [tex]\nabla^2 u=\partial_x\partial_x u+\partial_y\partial_y u.[/tex]

4. Mar 4, 2007 #3
    Dang, you're right. Can I dot it into an element of length like this?

[tex]\bigtriangledown^2 u \bullet d\vec{r}^2 = \frac{\delta}{\delta x}\frac{\delta u}{\delta x} dx^2 + \frac{\delta}{\delta y}\frac{\delta u}{\delta y} dy^2[/tex]

5. Mar 4, 2007 #4
    There is a hint in the problem that says I need to construct vectors normal to the curves [tex]u(x,y)=c_i[/tex] and [tex]v(x,y)=c_j[/tex]. Wow, I'm pretty lost.

6. Mar 4, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are
    [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}=-\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/tex]
    which is what you have, allowing for your peculiar use of [itex]\delta[/itex] rather than [itex]\partial[/itex]!

Now just do the obvious: differentiate both sides of the first equation with respect to x and differentiate both sides of the second equation with respect to y and compare them.

Are you sure that the hint is for this particular problem? A normal vector to u(x,y)= c is
    [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\vec{j}[/tex]
    and a normal vector to v(x,y)= c is
    [tex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}\vec{j}[/tex].
    Using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, that second equation is
    [tex]-\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\vec{j}[/tex]
    which tells us the the two families of curves are orthogonal but that does not directly tell us about [itex]\nabla^2 u[/itex] and [itex]\nabla^2 v[/itex].

7. Mar 4, 2007 #6
    Thanks for your reply.

There is a part b) to the problem, and it is this:

b) Show that

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial v}{\partial x}\frac{\partial v}{\partial y} = 0[/tex]

I solved it easily using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, so I figured that the hint was for the first part.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook