1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy-Riemann conditions

1. Mar 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The functions u(x,y) and v(x,y) are the real and imaginary parts, respectively, of an analytic function w(z).
    Assuming that the required derivatives exist, show that

[tex]\bigtriangledown^2 u=\bigtriangledown^2 v=0[/tex]

Solutions of Laplace's equation such as u(x,y) and v(x,y) are called harmonic functions.

2. Relevant equations
    Cauchy-Riemann conditions:

[tex]\frac{\delta u}{\delta x} = \frac{\delta v}{\delta y}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\delta u}{\delta y} = -\frac{\delta v}{\delta x}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I expanded [tex]\bigtriangledown^2 u = \frac{\delta u}{\delta x}\frac{\delta u}{\delta x} + \frac{\delta u}{\delta y}\frac{\delta u}{\delta y}[/tex] and using the Cauchy-Riemann conditions I found

[tex]\bigtriangledown^2 u = \frac{\delta v}{\delta y}\frac{\delta v}{\delta y} + \frac{\delta v}{\delta x}\frac{\delta v}{\delta x}=\bigtriangledown^2 v[/tex]

What I can't figure out how to do is prove that this is equal to zero.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2007 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your eqs. for del^2 are wrong.
    [tex]\nabla^2 u=\partial_x\partial_x u+\partial_y\partial_y u.[/tex]
  4. Mar 4, 2007 #3
    Dang, you're right. Can I dot it into an element of length like this?

[tex]\bigtriangledown^2 u \bullet d\vec{r}^2 = \frac{\delta}{\delta x}\frac{\delta u}{\delta x} dx^2 + \frac{\delta}{\delta y}\frac{\delta u}{\delta y} dy^2[/tex]
  5. Mar 4, 2007 #4
    There is a hint in the problem that says I need to construct vectors normal to the curves [tex]u(x,y)=c_i[/tex] and [tex]v(x,y)=c_j[/tex]. Wow, I'm pretty lost.
  6. Mar 4, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are
    [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}=-\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/tex]
    which is what you have, allowing for your peculiar use of [itex]\delta[/itex] rather than [itex]\partial[/itex]!

Now just do the obvious: differentiate both sides of the first equation with respect to x and differentiate both sides of the second equation with respect to y and compare them.

Are you sure that the hint is for this particular problem? A normal vector to u(x,y)= c is
    [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\vec{j}[/tex]
    and a normal vector to v(x,y)= c is
    [tex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}\vec{j}[/tex].
    Using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, that second equation is
    [tex]-\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\vec{j}[/tex]
    which tells us the the two families of curves are orthogonal but that does not directly tell us about [itex]\nabla^2 u[/itex] and [itex]\nabla^2 v[/itex].
  7. Mar 4, 2007 #6
    Thanks for your reply.

There is a part b) to the problem, and it is this:

b) Show that

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial v}{\partial x}\frac{\partial v}{\partial y} = 0[/tex]

I solved it easily using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, so I figured that the hint was for the first part.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?