Analyzing Functions with Cauchy-Riemann Equations

• Thread starter MissP.25_5
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses using the Cauchy-Riemann equations to check for analytical functions and finding their derivative functions in terms of z. The first equation is rewritten in terms of z and further manipulations are done to simplify it. The conversation also touches on using Euler's formula and the power rule to find the derivative function. The final answer expresses the derivative function solely in terms of z.
MissP.25_5
Hello.
Here I attached the question and what I have done so far. I have used the cauchy.riemann equations to check if the functions are analytical or not. The first one turns out to be analytical, but I don't know how to find its derivative function and how do I express it as a z function?

Attachments

• IMG_6393.jpg
    IMG_6393.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_6399.jpg
    IMG_6399.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 362
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Rewrite the first equation as $$f(x,y) = e^x x (\cos y + i \sin y) + e^x y (i\cos y - \sin y)$$

Now do some further manipulations and simplify, so as to be left with something purely in terms of ##z = x+iy##.

CAF123 said:
Hint: Rewrite the first equation as $$f(x,y) = e^x x (\cos y + i \sin y) + e^x y (i\cos y - \sin y)$$

Now do some further manipulations and simplify, so as to be left with something purely in terms of ##z = x+iy##.

But what about this formula? I got this from a textbook. f'(z0) here is the derive function.

Attachments

• IMG_6400.jpg
    IMG_6400.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 340
MissP.25_5 said:
But what about this formula? I got this from a textbook. f'(z0) here is the derive function.

Once you rewrite ##f(x,y)## as defined in the last post entirely in terms of ##z##, then computing df/dz is arguably easier.

Use Euler's formula when simplifying ##f(x,y)##.

Edit: I just saw your attachment. That is the definition of the derivative. But generally speaking there are techniques you should use such as product rule which are easier to deal with for more complicated functions.

CAF123 said:
Once you rewrite ##f(x,y)## as defined in the last post entirely in terms of ##z##, then computing df/dz is arguably easier.

Use Euler's formula when simplifying ##f(x,y)##.

Edit: I just saw your attachment. That is the definition of the derivative. But generally speaking there are techniques you should use such as product rule which are easier to deal with for more complicated functions.

So the one I just attached is not a formula but actually just a definition of the derivative?

MissP.25_5 said:
So the one I just attached is not a formula but actually just a definition of the derivative?
It can be used in practice too, but even with the most simplest of functions you'd better off using the power rule, product rule etc..

E.g assuming you are familiar with the real version, let ##f(x) = x^2##. By power rule, ##df/dx = 2x##. Done.

By the definition of the derivative, $$f'(x) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac{(x+h)^2 - x^2}{h} = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{2hx + h^2}{h} = 2x.
$$
Then try it with ##f(x) = \sqrt{x}## and already more manipulations needed.

CAF123 said:

Is this what you mean? Did I do it correctly?

Attachments

• IMG_6404.jpg
    IMG_6404.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 328
MissP.25_5 said:
Is this what you mean? Did I do it correctly?
Close, but ##-1/i = i##, so you messed up a sign. Other than that, looks fine. Now use the fact that ##z = x+iy## to obtain a function all in terms of z.

Note also by simply factoring out ##i## from the second term you get ##ie^x y(\cos y + i\sin y) = ie^x ye^{iy}##, so no need to mess about with more definitions.

CAF123 said:
Close, but ##-1/i = i##, so you messed up a sign. Other than that, looks fine. Now use the fact that ##z = x+iy## to obtain a function all in terms of z.

Note also by simply factoring out ##i## from the second term you get ##ie^x y(\cos y + i\sin y) = ie^x ye^{iy}##, so no need to mess about with more definitions.

Now is this correct?
So, next how do I obtain a function?

Attachments

• IMG_6406.jpg
    IMG_6406.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 331
MissP.25_5 said:
Now is this correct?
So, next how do I obtain a function?
Yes, it is correct. But you can simplify further. ##e^a e^b = \dots## and use that z = x+iy.

CAF123 said:
Yes, it is correct. But you can simplify further. ##e^a e^b = \dots## and use that z = x+iy.

You mean like this? Is that the final answer?

Attachments

• IMG_6407.jpg
    IMG_6407.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 339
MissP.25_5 said:
You mean like this? Is that the final answer?
One last simplification you can make. Make sure you have only z in your expression (no appearances of x or y). Then are you after df/dz?

CAF123 said:
One last simplification you can make. Make sure you have only z in your expression (no appearances of x or y). Then are you after df/dz?

Aha! I think I got it. Is this right?

Attachments

• IMG_6409.jpg
    IMG_6409.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 311
MissP.25_5 said:
Aha! I think I got it. Is this right?

Yeah, it is good now.

Likes 1 person

What are Cauchy-Riemann equations?

Cauchy-Riemann equations are a set of partial differential equations that describe the behavior of complex functions in terms of their real and imaginary parts. They were developed by Augustin-Louis Cauchy and Bernhard Riemann in the 19th century.

Why are Cauchy-Riemann equations important?

Cauchy-Riemann equations are important because they provide a way to test whether a function is analytic, or differentiable, at a given point. This is crucial in complex analysis and has applications in various fields such as physics and engineering.

What is the relationship between Cauchy-Riemann equations and the concept of analyticity?

Cauchy-Riemann equations are necessary conditions for a function to be analytic at a given point. This means that if a function satisfies these equations at a point, it is guaranteed to be analytic at that point. However, satisfying these equations is not sufficient for a function to be analytic.

Can Cauchy-Riemann equations be used to determine the differentiability of a function on a larger domain?

Yes, Cauchy-Riemann equations can be applied to determine the differentiability of a function on a larger domain. By checking if the equations are satisfied at every point in the domain, we can determine if the function is analytic on the entire domain or not.

What are some real-world applications of Cauchy-Riemann equations?

Cauchy-Riemann equations have applications in various fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and signal processing. They are used to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena, and have also been used in the development of computer graphics and image processing techniques.