Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy,s theorem in Real plane?

1. Aug 11, 2004 #1
    i suppose all of us know the famous Cauchy,s formula

Int(c)f(z)dz/(z-a)=(2pi)if(a)

but could be applied the same to real plane,in fact let be the Integral over the closed path f(x,y)dxdy where f(x,y)=Gradient(g) then the integral in R^2

Int(C)f(x,y)dxdy/[x-a]=?

where [x-a] means sqrt[(x-a)^2+(y-b)^2] could be Cauchy,s theorem be applied in the real plane?..thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2004 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

The reason Cauchy's theorem works, stated in real terms is that the complex form dz/(z-a), written out as a real form, has an exact part which gives zero integral around a closed path, plus if(a) times the real form "dtheta" =

-(y-d)/((x-c)^2+(y-d)^2)dx + (x-c)/((x-c)^2 + (y-d)^2) dy,

where a = c + di are the real and imaginary parts of the complex number a.

So I think you do not want to divide by sqrt((x-c)^2+(y-d)^2), rather you may need (x-c)^2+(y-d)^2, as in the denominator of dtheta, to get something interesting.

In fact dtheta, i.e. imaginary part of dz/z, is pretty much the only interesting such integral.

try reading something about deRham cohomology, if you can find anything understandable, maybe Differential topology by Guillemin and Pollack.

here is a theorem: among all possible 1 forms, i.e. expressions Pdx +Qdy, defined in the complement of the origin, among those that have curl equal to zero, i.e. such that dQ/dx = dP/dy, (partial derivatives), essentially the only one that is not the gradient of a function, is dtheta.

I.e. given any such 1 form, there is a function f and a number c such that

Pdx + Qdy = gradf + c(dtheta). Then the integral of both sides over any path going simply once around the origin, equals 2pi c.

I.e. as far as integrating over a circle around the origin, the gradf part gives zero, and hence Pdx +Qdy is equivalent to c(dtheta).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?