When is the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality as large as possible?

• Thread starter pitaly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
The difference between the two products is multiplied by t^2 so that will be greater than any value you want. In summary, the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality holds with equality when there exists an a > 0 such that x_i = ay_i for all i = 1,...,n. The inequality is as large as possible when all x_iy_i are zero, meaning the vectors are orthogonal. It can be arbitrarily large by multiplying all x_i with a positive constant, making the difference between the two products grow without limit.
pitaly
The Cauchy-Schwartz inequality [itex](\sum_{i=1}^n x_i^2)(\sum_{i=1}^n y_i^2) - (\sum_{i=1}^n x_iy_i)^2 \geq 0 [/itex] holds with equality (or is as "small" as possible) if there exists an [itex]a \gt 0 [/itex] such that [itex]x_i=ay_i[/itex] for all [itex]i=1,...,n [/itex].

But when is the inequality as "large" as possible? That is, can we say anything under what conditions [itex](\sum_{i=1}^n x_i^2)(\sum_{i=1}^n y_i^2) - (\sum_{i=1}^n x_iy_i)^2[/itex] is as large as possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's easy ! If all xy are negative. Can you interpret that ?
Oops. Major glitch trying to reply too hasty.
First of all welcome to PF :smile: ! And I'll be back soon to post something more useful -- if I don't get corrected sooner by someone more awake ...

Take 2: That's easy ! If all xiyi are zero. Can you interpret that ?

Sorry, I forgot to say that each [itex]x_i \gt 0[/itex] and [itex]y_i \gt 0[/itex]

I remember Cauchy-Schwartz had something to do with vector products and you look at ##( \vec x + \vec y ) ^2 = \vec x^2 + \vec y ^2 + 2 \vec x \cdot \vec y = \vec x^2 + \vec y ^2 + 2 \,| \vec x | \, |\vec y| \cos \alpha##.

The equals sign in CS is if ##|\cos\alpha| = 1 ## so I have a feeling that what you asked for might be found at ##\cos\alpha= 0 ##.

In post #4 you exclude =0 but then your extreme can be approached as close as desired by letting ##\cos\alpha \rightarrow 0 ##.

--

If you write the summations as dot products, you can readily see the answer. Let [itex]\vec{x} = \langle x_1, x_2, \dotsm, x_n \rangle[/itex] and [itex]\vec{y} = \langle y_1, y_2, \dotsm, y_n \rangle[/itex]. Then the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality can be restated as:

[itex]\underbrace{(\vec{x} \cdot \vec{x})}_{\text{dot product}} \cdot
\underbrace{(\vec{y}\cdot \vec{y} )}_{\text{dot product}} \ge \underbrace{\vec{x} \cdot \vec{y}}_{\text{dot product}}[/itex] or equivalently [itex]\| \vec{x} \|^2 \cdot \| \vec{y} \|^2 \ge \| \vec{x} \| \cdot \| \vec{y} \| \cdot \cos(\theta)[/itex]

where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between [itex] \vec{x} [/itex] and [itex] \vec{y} [/itex]. Since [itex]\vec{x}\cdot \vec{y} = 0[/itex] if the two vectors are orthogonal, that's where you will get the largest value.

It can be arbitrarily large. Just take any xi:s and yi:s for which the difference is > 0 and multiply all the xi:s with an arbitrary lange t > 0.

What is the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality?

The Cauchy-Schwartz inequality is a mathematical inequality that relates the inner product of two vectors to their magnitudes. It states that the absolute value of the inner product of two vectors is always less than or equal to the product of their magnitudes.

How is the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality used in mathematics?

The Cauchy-Schwartz inequality is often used in mathematical proofs and calculations involving vectors, such as in linear algebra, functional analysis, and geometry. It is also used in statistics and probability to prove important theorems and inequalities.

What is the significance of the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality?

The Cauchy-Schwartz inequality is significant because it provides a fundamental relationship between the inner product and magnitude of vectors. It is a useful tool in many branches of mathematics and has many applications in real-world problems.

What are some real-world applications of the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality?

The Cauchy-Schwartz inequality has applications in diverse fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to prove the Heisenberg uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics, to calculate the maximum profit in linear programming problems, and to determine the stability of a bridge under certain loads.

Can the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality be extended to other mathematical objects?

Yes, the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality can be extended to other mathematical objects such as matrices, polynomials, and functions. These extensions are known as generalizations of the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality and have their own applications in various areas of mathematics.