1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy-Schwarz Problem

1. Mar 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that ([tex]\sum_{j=1}^n[/tex]ajbj)2 <= ([tex]\sum_{j=1}^n[/tex]jaj2)([tex]\sum_{j=1}^n[/tex](1/j)bj2)

2. Relevant equations
    Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality: |<u, v>| <= ||u||*||v||

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I let u = [tex]\sum_{j=1}^n[/tex]jaj2 and v = [tex]\sum_{j=1}^n[/tex](1/j)bj2, then I have ||u|| = sqrt(<u, u>) and ||v|| = sqrt(<v, v>). Not really sure where to go from here. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2008 #2

Vid

The other form is more helpful in this problem:
    <u,v>^2 = <u,u><v,v>

Now, you just have to choose u and v to get the required identity. You know that <u,v> needs to equal to Sum[a_j*b_j]. You also know that the j-th term in the series on the right side is equal to the j-th component of u or v squared.

Can you finish it from here?

4. Mar 24, 2008 #3
    First of all, thanks for the help!

Don't you mean <u,v>2 <= <u,u><v,v> ? Also, I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence. "The series on the right side" is referring to which series? The product of the two series? Anyway, how do I know that? Sorry for these possibly stupid questions, and thanks again for your help.

5. Mar 24, 2008 #4

Vid

Yea, that should be less than or equal to.

I meant that one series was for u and the other for v. With the standard dot product <u,u> = Sum[(u_j)^2].

So Sum[u_j^2] = Sum[j*a_j^2]
    and Sum[v_j^2] = Sum[(1/j)*b_j^2]

What does this tell us about what u and v must be equal to?

6. Mar 24, 2008 #5
    I don't think I'm seeing it. u_j = sqrt(j)*a_j and u = Sum[u_j] = Sum[sqrt(j)*a_j] ?
    v_j = (1/sqrt(j))*b_j and v = Sum[v_j] = Sum[(1/sqrt(j))*b_j] ?

Is this correct? I don't really see how this helps.

7. Mar 24, 2008 #6
    the cs inequality says <p, q> <= |p||q|, here | | denotes the norm

so (<p, q>)^2 <= |p|^2|q|^2

Set p = (a_1/sqrt(1),..., a_n/sqrt(n)), q= (sqrt(1)*b_1, 2*b_2,..., sqrt(n)*b_n)

so your sum on the left = (<p, q>)^2 <= |p|^2|q|^2 = the stuff you have on the right

just verify this

8. Mar 25, 2008 #7
    Ok, just to make sure I got it:

Cauchy Schwarz says |<u, v>| <= ||u||*||v||. This implies <u, v>2 <= <u, u><u, v>. Let <u, u> = [tex]\sum[/tex]uj2 = [tex]\sum[/tex]jaj2 and let <v, v> = [tex]\sum[/tex]vj2 = [tex]\sum[/tex](1/j)bj2.

Then we have u = [tex]\sum[/tex]uj = [tex]\sum[/tex]sqrt(j)*aj and v = [tex]\sum[/tex]vj = [tex]\sum[/tex](1/sqrt(j))*bj.

Then we have <u, v> = [tex]\sum[/tex]ujvj = ... = [tex]\sum[/tex]ajbj. Then square both sides to get <u, v>2 = ([tex]\sum[/tex]ajbj)2.

Then after plugging in, this completes the proof. Thanks again for all your help guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?