How do I prove the convergence of a Cauchy sequence using a telescoping sum?

In summary, the conversation discusses proving a sequence is Cauchy by using a telescoping sum and selecting an appropriate N. The end result is the understanding that by choosing an N greater than 2, the difference between xn and xm can be made less than any given epsilon.
daver00

Homework Statement

My problem is this, you are given that for a sequence the following is true:
[tex]\left|x_{n} - x_{n+1}\right| < \frac{1}{4^{n}}[/tex]

So its an obvious case to prove the sequence is Cauchy.

Homework Equations

So I'll state the stuff just for the sake of it:
[tex]\forall\epsilon>0[/tex], [tex] \exists N\in\mathbb{N}[/tex], s.t. [tex]\forall m,n>N \Rightarrow |x_n - x_m|<\epsilon[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I start by taking the telescoping sum:
[tex]|x_n - x_m| = |x_n - x_{n+1} + x_{n+1} + \cdots - x_{m-1} + x_{m-1} - x_{m}|[/tex]

[tex]|x_n - x_m| \leq |x_n - x_{n+1}| + |x_{n+1} -x_{n+2}|+\cdots + |x_{m-1} - x_{m}|[/tex]

[tex]|x_n - x_m| \leq \sum_{k=n}^{m-1} |x_k - x_{k+1}|[/tex]

[tex]|x_n - x_m| < \sum_{k=n}^{m-1} \frac{1}{4^k} = \frac{4}{3}\left(\frac{1}{4^m} - \frac{1}{4^n}\right)[/tex]

(I'm hoping this is all correct)
And here I'm stuck, I'm unsure about how to properly select an [tex]N[/tex] and [tex]\epsilon[/tex] ??

Do I simply say something like this:
[tex]|x_N - x_{N+K}| < \frac{4}{3}\left(\frac{1}{4^{N+K}} - \frac{1}{4^N}\right)[/tex]

for some integer K? And then sort of solve for an epsilon? Or should I find something slightly simpler that is also smaller than this and again find some N in this fashion? I'm just confused because I've got three unknowns here, m, n and epsilon, but I need to reduce this to one N right?

I'm kind of new to all this and I'm not really all that cosy on any of it yet, at least I got the telescoping sum part I guess.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to choose an epsilon. You need to pick an N dependent on epsilon. Your n, m aren't really unknowns, you know they are both greater than N. So you just pick an N.

From my experience, in these sorts of questions, you don't need to make explicit what N you choose, what you did is correct, all you need to say is that the infinite sum (of 1/4^k) is finite, which then tells you the tails of the sum tend to zero. So you can pick an N s.t.
[tex]\displaystyle \sum_{k=n}^{m}\frac{1}{4^k}[/tex] for n,m>N.

You're really close! Take a look at what you wrote right here:
[tex]|x_n - x_m| < \sum_{k=n}^{m-1} \frac{1}{4^k} = \frac{4}{3}\left(\frac{1}{4^m} - \frac{1}{4^n}\right)[/tex]

if m>N and n>N, can you make a bound on the right hand side? eg:

[tex]\frac{4}{3}\left(\frac{1}{4^m} - \frac{1}{4^n}\right) \le ??[/tex]

So is it just something like this?
[tex]\frac{4}{3}\left(\frac{1}{4^m} - \frac{1}{4^n}\right) \leq \frac{1}{3\cdot4^N}[/tex]
or even just this:
[tex]\frac{4}{3}\left(\frac{1}{4^m} - \frac{1}{4^n}\right) \leq \frac{1}{4^N}[/tex]

I'm fairly certain we need to make this stuff pretty water tight in this course, so I'm guessing that once I choose my N I'm going to need to work my way back to show the difference is less than epsilon, or is that just not usually the case for this sort of thing?

yeah exactly. So now if I give you epsilon = .01, what N must you choose to make |xn - xm|<epsilon?

I see! so I make it like this:
[tex]\frac{1}{4^N} < \epsilon[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{4}\ln\left(\frac{1}{\epsilon}\right) < N [/tex]

Or in other words, to answer you question I choose:
[tex]N>0.25\ln(100)>1.15[/tex], so [tex]N \geq 2[/tex]

Thank you so much, sorry for not being any good at the simple part. I'm a mech engineering student but I've recently started a degree in maths as well and while I can cope with really hard technical things, the simple logic is still strange voodoo to me...

What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of real numbers in which the terms get closer and closer together as the sequence progresses. This means that for any small positive number, there exists a point in the sequence after which all terms are within that distance from each other.

What is the definition of convergence for a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is said to converge if, as the sequence progresses, the terms get closer and closer together, approaching a specific limit. This means that the distance between consecutive terms in the sequence approaches zero as the sequence progresses.

How do you prove convergence for a Cauchy sequence?

To prove convergence for a Cauchy sequence, you must show that the sequence satisfies the definition of convergence. This means that for any small positive number, there exists a point in the sequence after which all terms are within that distance from each other. You can do this by using the Cauchy convergence criterion, which states that a sequence is convergent if and only if it is a Cauchy sequence.

Can a Cauchy sequence converge to a value outside the set of real numbers?

No, a Cauchy sequence can only converge to a value within the set of real numbers. This is because the concept of convergence is defined for real numbers, and a Cauchy sequence is a sequence of real numbers.

What is the importance of Cauchy sequence convergence in mathematics?

Cauchy sequence convergence is important in mathematics because it is a fundamental concept in real analysis and is used to prove the convergence of numerous mathematical series and functions. It also plays a crucial role in the construction of the real numbers and is essential for understanding the behavior of mathematical objects in the real world.