Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy Sequence in Metric Space

1. Feb 20, 2010 #1
    For a metric space (X,d), prove that a Cauchy sequence {xn} has the property d(xn-xn+1)--->0 as n--->\infty

In working this proof, is it really as simple as letting m=n+1?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, it really is that easy! The definition of "Cauchy sequence" is that [itex]d(x_n, x_m)[/itex] goes to 0 as m and n go to infinity. Since that is true, in particular, [itex]d(x_n, x_{n+1})[/itex] must go to 0 as n goes to infinity.

Notice, however, that the converse is not true. If [itex]d(x_n, x_{n+1})[/itex] goes to 0, it does NOT follow that [itex]d(x_n,x_m)[/itex] goes to 0.

4. Feb 21, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the input.

An example of a sequence in which [tex] d(x_n,x_{n+1})\rightarrow 0 [/tex] , but [tex] d(x_n,x_m)\not\rightarrow 0 [/tex] would be let [tex]x_n=ln(n)[/tex]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  5. Feb 21, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'll have to think about that! I was thinking of
    [tex]a_n= \sum{i= 1}^n \frac{1}{i}= \frac{1}{n}+ \frac{2}{n}+ \frac{3}{n}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ \frac{1}{n}[/tex]

Then [itex]|a_n- a_{n-1}= \frac{1}{n}[/itex] goes to 0 as n goes to infinity but the series is not Cauchy since it is well known that the harmonic series does not converge.

(After about 30 seconds of thought I see that ln(n)- ln(n+1)= ln(n/(n+1)) so, in fact, your seires is a variation of mine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook