1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy Sequence Problem

1. Feb 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

q(n) = Sum(from k=1 to n) 1/n!

Exercise 3: Prove that {q(n)}n(forall)Ns is a cauchy sequence.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So many attempts at a solution. I know that a sequence is a cauchy sequence if for all epsilons greater than 0 there exists an N such that m,n >N and therefore the absolute value of q(m) minus (qn) is less than epsilon. A sequence is considered a cauchy sequence of its terms approach a limit (and converge). My problem is with proving this as it is a sum, and not letting it get messy with double factorials. How do I prove this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you mean the sum of 1/k!, not 1/n!.

Hint 1: If [itex]\sum _{k = 1} ^{\infty}\frac{1}{k!}[/itex] converges, then for any [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex], there exists a natural N such that [itex]\sum _{k=N} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{k!} < \epsilon[/itex]

Hint 2: What's the Taylor (or Maclaurin) expansion of ex?
  4. Feb 14, 2007 #3
    OK, so..

if qn converges, then for any epsilon>0 there exists a natural N such that (qn when N=k) is less than epsilon.

With the maclaurin formula we can write that e^x = the sum (from n=0 to infinity) of x^n/n!. Therefore can we just say that since the lim (as n approaches infinity) of q(n) is e, then it converges, and therefore is a cauchy sequence? Or do we still need to show that there's an N such that q(n) is less than epsilon (for any epsilon greater than 0)?
  5. Feb 14, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would guess that they are after a more direct proof than just saying 'I know it converges. Thus it is cauchy'. Would it help as a hint to note 1/n!<=1/2^(n) (at least for n>1)?
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  6. Feb 14, 2007 #5
    Another: Let {q(n)n} and {p(n)} (for all integer n's) be Cauchy Sequences which are equivalent. Further let {a(n)} and {b(n)} also be Cauchy Sequences which are equivalent.

Show {q(n) * a(n)} = {p(n) * b(n)} (for all integer n's)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?