1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy sequence proof , help

1. Dec 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Every convergent sequence is a cauchy sequence

2. Relevant equations

Proof: Suppose {a_n} converges to A, choose e > 0 , then e/2 > 0

there is a positive integer N such that n>=N implies abs[a_n - A ] < e/2

the difference between a_n , a_m was less than twice the original choice of e

Now if m , n >= N , then abs[a_n - A ] < e/2 and abs[a_m - A] < e/2 , hence

abs[a_n - a_m ] = abs[ a_n - A + A - a_m ] <= abs[a_n - A ] + abs[ A - a_m ]
    = abs[a_n - A ] + abs[ a_m - A ] < e/2 + e/2 = e
    thus {a_n} is cauchy

3. The attempt at a solution

the part where i have trouble understanding this proof is , where does the e/2 comes from?
    in other words how does e/2 appears in the proof, how can i represent it in the real number graph?
    if the answer is this " the difference between a_n , a_m was less than twice the original choice of e " i would like to see the arithmetic that produces e/2
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2008 #2
    The sentence "the difference between a_n , a_m was less than twice the original choice of e " is false; get rid of it.

In the first sentence, e is fixed.

The convergence of [tex]\{a_n\}[/tex] to A means that for any [tex]\varepsilon > 0[/tex], there exists an N such that [tex]n \ge N[/tex] implies [tex]|a_n - A| < \varepsilon[/tex].

So we can pick any [tex]\varepsilon[/tex]. In the proof, [tex]\varepsilon = e/2[/tex] is picked. [tex]\varepsilon = e/4[/tex] could have been picked and it would still work. [tex]\varepsilon = 123[/tex] could have been picked and it wouldn't work.

4. Dec 6, 2008 #3
    the sentence " the difference between a_n , a_m was less than twice the original choice of e " is false; get rid of it. " is not false , look , a_n and a_m are in the set ( A - e , A + e ) , and this is an interval of length 2e , and in the proof the choice of e/2 was not a coincidence it was because ( A +e ) - ( A -e ) = 2e , i dont know if this is right, but it comes straight from my book

5. Dec 6, 2008 #4
    In this proof, a_n and a_m are in (A - e/2, A + e/2) because |a_n - A| < e/2 and |a_m - A| < e/2.

The goal was to show that |a_n - a_m| < e, not 2e. See the second last line of the proof.

6. Dec 6, 2008 #5
  7. Dec 6, 2008 #6
    how can e/4 work ?

could you please give me your version of this cauchy sequence ( explaining the e/2 's or 2e's . My book is confusing me more.

This is what it is in my book, i dont know how it went from saying that the difference is 2e and then using e/2 . The part that confuses me , is why the book outlines (1) to then use it in the proof, it looks that (1) doesnt even matter because since e > 0 then e/2 will do just fine.

(1) Suppose { a_n } converges to A. Choose e > 0, THere is a positive integer N such that, if
    n, m >= N , then A - e < a_n < A + e and A - e < a_m < A + e
    Thus for all n, m >= N we find a_n ∈ ( A - e , A + e ) and
    a_m ∈ ( A - e , A +e ) . the set ( A - e, A +e ) is an interval of length 2e ,
    hence the difference between a_n, and a_m is less then 2e

we will now state a theorem , the proof of which we have just outlined

THEOREM :Every convergent sequence is a cauchy sequence

Proof: Suppose {a_n} converges to A, choose e > 0 , then e/2 > 0

there is a positive integer N such that n>=N implies abs[a_n - A ] < e/2

by (1) the difference between a_n , a_m was less than twice the original choice of e

Now if m , n >= N , then abs[a_n - A ] < e/2 and abs[a_m - A] < e/2 , hence

abs[a_n - a_m ] = abs[ a_n - A + A - a_m ] <= abs[a_n - A ] + abs[ A - a_m ]
    = abs[a_n - A ] + abs[ a_m - A ] < e/2 + e/2 = e
    thus {a_n} is cauchy

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  8. Dec 6, 2008 #7
    Just replace e/2 in the proof with e/4. Then near the end, e/4 + e/4 = e/2 < e.

9. Dec 7, 2008 #8
    Wait, in the original cauchy proof, e/2 + e/ 2 is e , but at the end it becomes
    e < e ?? isnt this false

| a_n - a_m | < e , we have to satisfy this
    with e /2 we reach e < e ??

10. Dec 7, 2008 #9
    Nowhere is e < e implied. |a_n - a_m| is less than or equal to the sum of two expressions. Each expression is less than e/2, so their sum is less than e.

|a_n - a_m| [tex]\le[/tex] |a_n - A| + |a_m - A| < e/2 + e/2 = e

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?