Show Cauchy Sequence Convergence with sin(n)/2^n

Then for all n>=m>N, 1/2^n<1/2^N<epsilon. That's all you need to do.In summary, to prove that the sequence xn=(sin(1)/2) + (sin(2)/2^2) + (sin(3)/2^3) +...+ (sin(n)/2^n) converges, we can show that it is a Cauchy sequence by using the definition of a Cauchy sequence and the geometric series formula to find an upper bound for the absolute value of the difference between any two terms in the sequence. By choosing a value for N such that 1/2^N is smaller than any given epsilon, we can show
sara_87

Homework Statement

Show that the following sequence converges:

xn= (sin(1)/2) + (sin(2)/2^2) + (sin(3)/2^3) +...+ (sin(n)/2^n)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To show that it converges, i want to show that it is a cauchy sequence (since all cauchy sequences converge).
I know that xn is cauchy if abs(xn-xm)< E for all E>0.
and the above sequence can be written as:
[tex]\sum(sink/2^k[/tex]

But i don't know how to proceed??
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
sara_87 said:
(since all cauchy sequences converge).

Is that a fact? Check really if that's true...

As for your sequence, your sequence is (monotonically) increasing and bounded thus convergent. Can you show that it is true?

dirk_mec1 said:
Is that a fact? Check really if that's true...

As for your sequence, your sequence is (monotonically) increasing and bounded thus convergent. Can you show that it is true?

It's not monotonic. sin(k) can be negative. And why are you questioning whether cauchy sequences converge?? The question is clearly about the real numbers, and they are complete. All cauchy sequences DO converge. sara_87, to show it's cauchy just notice sin(k)/2^k<=1/2^k. You can bound abs(xn-xm) by the sum of a geometric series.

Dick said:
It's not monotonic. sin(k) can be negative. And why are you questioning whether cauchy sequences converge?? The question is clearly about the real numbers, and they are complete. All cauchy sequences DO converge.
Yes, you're right I made two mistakes.

sara_87, to show it's cauchy just notice sin(k)/2^k<=1/2^k. You can bound abs(xn-xm) by the sum of a geometric series.
Dick uses [tex] sin(x) \leq 1[/tex]

Yep. And I should have written |sin(k)/2^k|<=1/2^k.

ok, so |sin(k)/2^k|<=1/2^k

and the formula for geometric series is:
a(1-r^n)/1-r

i don't know how to apply this to sin(k)/2^k

Look, you want to have [tex]|a_n - a_m|< \varepsilon [/tex].

Now you know you can make an upper bound via a geometric series, okay?

Yes, i understand this bit and i know that in this case, we have:
abs(sin(k)/2^k) < 1/2^k

but is this it?? surely not. I still haven't proved that it is cauchy.

sara_87 said:
Yes, i understand this bit and i know that in this case, we have:
abs(sin(k)/2^k) < 1/2^k

but is this it?? surely not. I still haven't proved that it is cauchy.
The problem as stated asked that you prove that the sequence was convergent. You brought up the part about Cauchy sequences. If you can show that the sequence converges (see Dick's and Dirk's posts), you're done.

Yes, but i 'want' to show that it is cauchy (part of the question). I know that:
abs(xn-xm)< E
and
abs(sin(k)/2^k) < 1/2^k
but how do i relate these two?

Using your definition for xn at the beginning of this thread, what is xn - xm?

(sin(1)/2) + (sin(2)/2^2) + (sin(3)/2^3) +...+ (sin(n)/2^n) - xm

Let's assume n>m. So xn-xm=sin(m+1)/2^(m+1)+sin(m+2)/2^(m+2)+...sin(n)/2^n. |xn-xm|<=1/2^(m+1)+...+1/2^n. Apply your geometric series thing to that.

ok, so i get:
abs(xn-xm)<=1/2^m for all m>N ;
but this must mean that 1/2^m is less than E but how do we know that m is greater than E (for this to be true)?

You are given e. You PICK an N large enough that 1/2^N<e. That means |xn-xm|<e for all n,m>N, right? That's Cauchy.

but however large N is, the 1/2^N will always be postive.
so, just as an example, what kind of value can N be?

N will depend on your epsilon chosen. In your case you should use the geometric series to find your N.

sara_87 said:
but however large N is, the 1/2^N will always be postive.
so, just as an example, what kind of value can N be?

Pick N so 2^N>1/epsilon.

1. What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of numbers where the terms become arbitrarily close to each other as the sequence progresses.

2. How do you determine convergence of a Cauchy sequence?

To determine convergence of a Cauchy sequence, we need to show that the terms in the sequence become arbitrarily close to each other, which means that the distance between consecutive terms approaches zero as the sequence progresses.

3. What is the significance of sin(n)/2^n in the Cauchy sequence?

The function sin(n)/2^n is used in the Cauchy sequence to demonstrate convergence. It is chosen because it is a decreasing function that approaches zero as n increases, which is necessary for a Cauchy sequence to converge.

4. How does sin(n)/2^n demonstrate convergence in the Cauchy sequence?

As n increases, the terms in the sequence sin(n)/2^n become closer and closer to each other, approaching zero. This shows that the sequence is becoming more and more "compressed" and therefore converging.

5. Is the convergence of the Cauchy sequence with sin(n)/2^n proven or theoretical?

The convergence of the Cauchy sequence with sin(n)/2^n is proven mathematically. It can be shown through rigorous mathematical proofs that the sequence does indeed converge.