1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy Sequence

1. Dec 14, 2011 #1
    Let f : [a,b] → [a,b] satisfy

|f(x)-f(y)| ≤ λ|x-y|

where 0<λ<1. Prove f is continuous. Choose any Xo ε [a,b] and for n ≥ 1 define X_n+1 = f(Xn). Prove that the sequence (Xn) is convergent and that its limit L is a 'fixed point' of f, namely f(L)=L

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2011 #2

radou

Homework Helper

The continuity part seems pretty straightforward, unless I'm mistaken. Let c be an arbitraty point in [a, b]. Let ε > 0 be given. Let δ = ε. Them for all x such that |x - c| < δ, we have: |f(x) - f(c)| <= ...

4. Dec 14, 2011 #3
    reckon you can help me further please i am really struggling

5. Dec 14, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No. You must make your own efforts on homework problems. We are not here to solve the questions for you. We will help you as soon as you make an attempt.

6. Dec 14, 2011 #5
    Well, you initially begin with
    [tex]\left|x_2 - x_1\right|=\left|f(x_1) - f(x_0)\right|\le \lambda\left|x_1 - x_0\right|[/tex]
    if you take one more step down the sequence, you can see that
    [tex]\left|x_3 - x_2\right|=\left|f(x_2) - f(x_1)\right|\le \lambda\left|x_2 - x_1\right|\le \lambda^2\left|x_1 - x_0\right|[/tex]
    I don't think it's difficult to see how this generalizes.

Can you see how this implies the sequence is Cauchy? What do we know about Cauchy sequences? Finally, what do we know about the limit of a sequence in a continuous function?

7. Dec 14, 2011 #6

radou

Homework Helper

And for the first part, can you continue where I wrote "..."? What does your function satisfy, by defintion?

8. Dec 14, 2011 #7
    sorry the answers no :/
    satisfy's |f(x)-f(y)| ≤ λ|x-y) where 0<λ<1

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  9. Dec 14, 2011 #8

radou

Homework Helper

OK. Now, we're looking at all x such that |x - c| < δ, right? So, apply your function property to these x's...

10. Dec 14, 2011 #9
    ok i get that, so what do i plug in to the x's?

11. Dec 14, 2011 #10

radou

Homework Helper

I already gave you the initial push in post #2 after "we have:". You only need to adjust your function inequality a bit now.

12. Dec 14, 2011 #11
    lknkjn

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook