1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy sequence

1. Mar 6, 2005 #1
    We consider the space [tex]C^0 ([-1,1])[/tex] of continuous functions from [tex][-1,1][/tex] to [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] supplied with the following norm:

[tex]||f||_1 = \int_{-1}^{1} |f(x)| dx [/tex]

a. Show that [tex]||.||_1[/tex] defines indeed a norm.

b. Show that the sequence of functions [tex](f_n)[/tex], where

[tex]
    \begin{align*}
    f_n(x) &= -1, \quad & -1 \leq{x} \leq{\frac{-1}{n}} \\
    \ &= nx, \quad & \frac{-1}{n} \leq{x} \leq{\frac{1}{n}} \\
    \ &= 1, \quad & \frac{1}{n} \leq{x} \leq{1}
    \end{align*}[/tex]

is a Cauchy-sequence with respect to the given norm.

c. Show that [tex]C^0 ([-1,1])[/tex] is not complete with respect to the given norm.

I figured out a. myself, by showing this norm satisfies the properties of a norm, but I can't find out how to tackle b. and c.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2005 #2
    b) I assume you can compute [tex] ||f_m - f_n||_1 [/tex] for arbitrary m > n > 0. Now [tex]f_n[/tex] is called a Cauchy-sequence if for all [tex]\epsilon >0[/tex] there exists a N>0 such that: [tex] ||f_m - f_n||_1 < \epsilon [/tex] for all m>n>N. You can do the estimates yourself.

c) Does the sequence converge to a continuous function? A set with a given norm is called closed if all Cauchy-sequences converge to an element in the same set.

4. Mar 6, 2005 #3
    I knew the definition of a Cauchy sequence, but I still can't find the solution.

I think I can't, given a certain n and [tex]f_n[/tex] I can find [tex]f_{n+1}[/tex] and I see that once n approaches infinity [tex]f_n[/tex] becomes either -1 or 1, but I don't know how to work from there. In fact this is all quite new to me.

5. Mar 7, 2005 #4
    When we assume m > n:

[tex] \begin{align*}|f_m(x) -f_n(x)| &= 0 & x > 1/n \\
    \ &= 1-nx & 1/m < x < 1/n \\
    \ &= (m-n)x & 0 \leq x < 1/m \end{align*}[/tex]

and [tex] |f_m(-x) -f_n(-x)| = |f_m(x) -f_n(x)| [/tex]. So:

[tex]||f_m - f_n||_1 = \int_{-1}^{1} |f_m(x)-f_n(x)| dx = 2 \int_{0}^{1} |f_m(x)-f_n(x)| dx = 2 ( \int_{0}^{1/m} (m-n)x dx + \int_{1/m}^{1/n} (1-n x) dx ) = [/tex]
    [tex]= 2 ( \frac{m-n}{2 m^2} + 1/n - 1/m - \frac{n}{2 n^2} + \frac{n}{2 m^2}) = 1/n-1/m < 1/n [/tex]

Let [tex] \epsilon > 0 [/tex]. Take [tex] N > 1/\epsilon [/tex], then for all n,m > N, we have [tex]||f_m - f_n||_1 < 1/N < \epsilon [/tex].

Now we have proven that [tex]f_n[/tex] is indeed a Cauchy-sequence.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?