1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy stress tensor

1. Sep 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy_stress_tensor

I dont understand the difference between τxy . τyx , τxz , τzx , τyz , τzy ..What did they mean ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    taking τxy and τyx as example , what are the difference between them ? They are the same , right ? they mean the shear force shear the xy plane , right ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2016 #2
    ##\tau_{xy}## represents the shear stress in the x direction on a plane of constant y. ##\tau_{yx}## represents the shear stress in the y direction on a plane of constant x.

4. Sep 6, 2016 #3
    ok , one more question , why we need to consider the forces acting on 3 surfaces only ? There are 6 face for cubic , right ?

5. Sep 6, 2016 #4
    You can get the forces on all 6 faces of the cube using the Cauchy stress relationship, and taking into account the possibility that the stress tensor may be varying with spatial location.

6. Sep 6, 2016 #5
    so , in this case , the author in wikipedia only consider 3 surface ? Which is accepatble , too ?

7. Sep 6, 2016 #6
    i think you mean ##\tau_{yx}## represents the shear stress in the x direction on a plane of constant y and vice versa ??? because the force σyx (τyx) is in the x direction at constant y ......???

8. Sep 6, 2016 #7
    I don't know. I always get the two confused. And it doesn't matter anyway because the stress tensor is symmetric.

9. Sep 6, 2016 #8
    continue from post #6 ,
    because the force σyx (τyx) is in the x direction at constant y ......???

10. Sep 6, 2016 #9
    They usually "prove" this using a balance of moments.

11. Sep 6, 2016 #10
    It looks to me like the guy in wiki is correct for the three surfaces he considered.

12. Sep 6, 2016 #11
    If we consider 6 surface, then it's wrong?

13. Sep 6, 2016 #12
    What do you mean? I m getting more confused now.....

14. Sep 6, 2016 #13
    Look up in the literature or on Google how it is shown that the stress tensor is symmetric.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  15. Sep 6, 2016 #14
    OK, is my idea in post #6 correct?

16. Sep 6, 2016 #15
    It really doesn't matter if the stress tensor is symmetric.

17. Sep 6, 2016 #16
    So, both my post and your post could be correct?

18. Sep 7, 2016 #17
    Sorry, I have another notes here... I couldn't understand why the (tau)_xy could be = (tau)_yx? Why should they be the same?

Attached Files:

19. Sep 7, 2016 #18
    I recommended references that contain the same kind of derivation that is in virtually every textbook. And I already alluded to a balance of moments. The rest is up to you to work out.

20. Sep 7, 2016 #19
    Do you have any notes or online notes that explain further on this part? I have tried to search online , but no avail..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted