Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy summation in maple

1. Sep 10, 2007 #1

Simfish

Gold Member

So...

I want to find the Cauchy sum of the Taylor polynomial of [tex]\exp x \sin x[/tex]. I know how to do this with maple, which only requires the command
    taylor(sin(x)*exp(x), x = 0, n). I can also try the good old [tex]f(a)+\frac{f'(a)}{1!}(x-a)+\frac{f''(a)}{2!}(x-a)^2+\frac{f^{(3)}(a)}{3!}(x-a)^3+\cdots[/tex] formula, but that isn't the learning objective. But I want to see if I did the Cauchy summation correctly with maple, and maple has different commands for summing up polynomial series. So I use the maple command.

sum((-1)^k*x^(n+k+1)/(factorial(2*k+1)*factorial(n-k)), k = 0 .. n)

Problem is, how can I set a value to n?

Is [tex]\sum_{k=0}^n {\frac { \left( -1 \right) ^{k}{x}^{n+k+1}}{ \left( 2\,k+1 \right) !\,\left( n-k \right)!}}[/tex] the right Cauchy sum of this series anyhow?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2007 #2

Simfish

Gold Member

test...

The problem here is that this is when [tex]a_n = \sin x , b_n = \exp x[/tex]. When I set [tex]b_n = \sin x, a_n = \exp x[/tex], I get [tex]\sum_{k=0}^n {\frac { \left( -1 \right) ^{n-k}{x}^{n-2k+1}}{ \left( 2\,n - 2k + 1 \right) !\,\left( n)!}}[/tex]

The other problem is that in the Cauchy formula [tex]c_n=\sum_{k=0}^n a_k b_{n-k}[/tex] I expect [tex]a_n[/tex] and [tex]b_n[/tex] to be symmetrical. But yet when I set u = n - k, where [tex]k \in [0,n], u \in [n, 0] [/tex], which would be a backwards summation. Is there a better way to ensure symmetry of the two terms?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?