Cauchy's theorem and formula

In summary, the conversation discusses verifying two equations involving integrals and analytic functions. The first equation is shown to follow directly from Cauchy's theorem, while the second equation is shown to be true using Cauchy's formula. The difference between the two equations is explained in terms of the functions being holomorphic in different regions. The use of ##\epsilon## in the problem is to ensure that the unit circle lies within the open subset in which the function is holomorphic.
Incand

Homework Statement

Verify that
a) ##\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} f(e^{it})\frac{e^{it}\bar z}{1-\bar z e^{it}}dt = 0##, if ##f(w)## is analytic for ##|w|<1+\epsilon##, and that
b) ##\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} f(e^{it})\frac{e^{it}}{e^{it}-z}dt = f(z).##
for ##z = re^{i\theta}## with ##r < 1##.

Use the above to verify ##f(x) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} f(e^{it}) P_r(\theta) dt, \; \; z = re^{i\theta}.##

Homework Equations

Cauchy's theorem:
Suppose that ##f## is analytic on a domain ##D##. Let ##\gamma## be a piecewise smooth simple closed curve in ##D## whose inside ##\Omega## also lies in ##D##. Then
##\int_\gamma f(z)dz = 0.##

Cauchy's formula:
Suppose that ##f## is analytic on a domain ##D## and that ##\gamma## is a piecewise smooth, positively oriented simple closed curve in ##D## whose inside ##\Omega## also lies in ##D##. Then
##f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_\gamma \frac{f(\xi)}{\xi - z}d\xi, \; \; \forall z \in \Omega.##

Poisson kernel:
##P_r(\theta) = \frac{1-r^2}{1-2r\cos (\theta-t)+r^2} = \frac{e^{it}}{e^{it}-z}+\frac{\bar z e^{it}}{1-e^{it}\bar z}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) it seems to follow directly from Cauchy theorem since both ##f## and the other part is analytic and the product of two analytic functions is analytic. However in this case the argument, ##|w| = |e^{it}| = 1##, isn't less than one? Perhaps the ##\epsilon## fixes this? But I don't understand the reason for the ##\epsilon##, is that a typo?

I don't really see the difference from a) here. For the same region if a) is zero then so is b). However If I compute it with Cauchy's formula I indeed get the desired result:

Substituting ##s = e^{it}## we have ##dt = \frac{ds}{ie^{it}}## and hence we get
##\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} f(e^{it})\frac{e^{it}}{e^{it}-z}dt = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \int \frac{f(s)}{s-z} = f(z)##

Physics news on Phys.org
Incand said:

Homework Statement

Verify that
a) ##\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} f(e^{it})\frac{e^{it}\bar z}{1-\bar z e^{it}}dt = 0##, if ##f(w)## is analytic for ##|w|<1+\epsilon##, and that
b) ##\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} f(e^{it})\frac{e^{it}}{e^{it}-z}dt = f(z).##
for ##z = re^{i\theta}## with ##r < 1##.

Use the above to verify ##f(x) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} f(e^{it}) P_r(\theta) dt, \; \; z = re^{i\theta}.##

Homework Equations

Cauchy's theorem:
Suppose that ##f## is analytic on a domain ##D##. Let ##\gamma## be a piecewise smooth simple closed curve in ##D## whose inside ##\Omega## also lies in ##D##. Then
##\int_\gamma f(z)dz = 0.##

Cauchy's formula:
Suppose that ##f## is analytic on a domain ##D## and that ##\gamma## is a piecewise smooth, positively oriented simple closed curve in ##D## whose inside ##\Omega## also lies in ##D##. Then
##f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_\gamma \frac{f(\xi)}{\xi - z}d\xi, \; \; \forall z \in \Omega.##

Poisson kernel:
##P_r(\theta) = \frac{1-r^2}{1-2r\cos (\theta-t)+r^2} = \frac{e^{it}}{e^{it}-z}+\frac{\bar z e^{it}}{1-e^{it}\bar z}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) it seems to follow directly from Cauchy theorem since both ##f## and the other part is analytic and the product of two analytic functions is analytic. However in this case the argument, ##|w| = |e^{it}| = 1##, isn't less than one? Perhaps the ##\epsilon## fixes this? But I don't understand the reason for the ##\epsilon##, is that a typo?

I don't really see the difference from a) here. For the same region if a) is zero then so is b). However If I compute it with Cauchy's formula I indeed get the desired result:

Substituting ##s = e^{it}## we have ##dt = \frac{ds}{ie^{it}}## and hence we get
##\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} f(e^{it})\frac{e^{it}}{e^{it}-z}dt = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \int \frac{f(s)}{s-z} = f(z)##
To understand the difference between a) and b), consider the following functions defined for ##s \in \mathbb C, |s| \lt 1+\epsilon##, where ##z \in \mathbb C, |z| \lt 1## is fixed:
##f_a(s)=\frac{f(s)\bar z}{1-\bar zs}##
##f_b(s)=\frac{f(s)}{s-z}##

Which of these function is holomorphic in an open region that includes ##\{s \in \mathbb C | \ |s|\leq 1 \}##, and which is not? That will hopefully explain why in one case you apply the Cauchy integral theorem, and in the other the Cauchy integral formula.

Likes Incand
Thanks I believe I understand now! Since the ##r < 1## ##f_a## doesn't have a singularity in ##\Omega## while the second one does since ##|s| = r## is allowed.

Do you have any idea about the ##\epsilon##? Is that pretty much just another way of writing ##|s| \le 1## avoiding the less equal sign?

Incand said:
Thanks I believe I understand now! Since the ##r < 1## ##f_a## doesn't have a singularity in ##\Omega## while the second one does since ##|s| = r## is allowed.
Exactly.
Incand said:
Do you have any idea about the ##\epsilon##? Is that pretty much just another way of writing ##|s| \le 1## avoiding the less equal sign?
No.

You need that ##1+\epsilon## in order to apply the Cauchy integral theorem.

From Wikipedia:
Let ##U## be an open subset of ##\mathbb C## which is simply connected, let ##f : U \to \mathbb C ## be a holomorphic function, and let ##\gamma## be a rectifiable path in ##U## whose start point is equal to its end point. Then
$$\oint_{\gamma} f(z) dz =0$$

In your case, it means that the unit circle must lie inside the open subset in which the function is holomorphic. So they take an open subset just a little bit larger, with radius ##1+\epsilon##. That way you can safely apply the Cauchy integral theorem with the unit circle as ##\gamma##.
Just using ##|s| \le 1## doesn't define an open subset.

Likes Incand
Thanks, nicely explained!

Incand said:
Thanks, nicely explained!
You are welcome. Complex analysis is pure beauty!
/nerd mode

Likes Incand

What is Cauchy's theorem?

Cauchy's theorem, also known as Cauchy's integral theorem, is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis, named after the French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy. It states that if a function is analytic in a simply connected region, then its integral along any closed curve in that region is equal to 0.

What is Cauchy's formula?

Cauchy's formula, also known as Cauchy's integral formula, is a key result in complex analysis that allows for the evaluation of complex integrals. It states that if a function is analytic in a region and has a continuous derivative in that region, then the value of the function at any point within the region can be determined by the values of the function on the boundary of the region.

What is the significance of Cauchy's theorem and formula?

Cauchy's theorem and formula are significant because they provide a powerful tool for evaluating complex integrals, which are essential in many areas of mathematics and physics. They also help to establish the fundamental connection between analytic functions and their integrals, providing a deeper understanding of complex analysis.

How are Cauchy's theorem and formula related?

Cauchy's theorem and formula are closely related, as the formula is a direct consequence of the theorem. The theorem states that the integral of an analytic function over a closed curve is equal to 0, while the formula uses this fact to evaluate the function at a point within the curve. In other words, the formula is a special case of the theorem.

What are the applications of Cauchy's theorem and formula?

Cauchy's theorem and formula have numerous applications in mathematics and physics, including complex analysis, differential equations, and geometry. They are also used in the development of important mathematical tools such as Laurent series, Cauchy-Riemann equations, and the Cauchy integral theorem for derivatives.