Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Cauchy's Theorem Problem

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1
    Cauchy's Theorem Problem (Abstract Algebra question)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've been thinking about this problem for a couple days now, and I don't even know how to approach it. The problem is:
    Let G be a group of order (p^n)*m, where p is a prime and p does not divide m. Suppose that G has a normal subgroup P of order p^n. Prove that f(P)=P for every automorphism 'A' of G.

I can't even convince myself that the question is true, then alone a method on how to show it. Any point in the right direction would help me a ton. Thanks.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

What is "f"? Did you mean A(P)?

4. Nov 27, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Prove that for g in G, the order of g divides p^n iff g is an element of P. One direction is easy, for the other direction take g not in P. Then gP is an element of the quotient group G/P which has order n. Can you finish? Once you have that, automorphisms preserve the order of elements.

5. Nov 27, 2007 #4
    I have no problem showing the orders of G and G/P, but I don't understand why an automorphism automatically preserve the order of elements.

6. Nov 27, 2007 #5
    Automorphisms are isomorphisms. Do you believe that isomorphisms preserve the order of elements? You should.

Edit: Hopefully you realize that when I said that 'automorphisms are isomorphisms' I was not implying that they are the same thing. Automorphisms are isomorphisms that map the group back onto the same group. The order of the automorphism group gives a sense of symmetry that the group has.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook