1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy's Theorem Problem

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1
    Cauchy's Theorem Problem (Abstract Algebra question)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've been thinking about this problem for a couple days now, and I don't even know how to approach it. The problem is:
    Let G be a group of order (p^n)*m, where p is a prime and p does not divide m. Suppose that G has a normal subgroup P of order p^n. Prove that f(P)=P for every automorphism 'A' of G.

I can't even convince myself that the question is true, then alone a method on how to show it. Any point in the right direction would help me a ton. Thanks.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is "f"? Did you mean A(P)?

4. Nov 27, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Prove that for g in G, the order of g divides p^n iff g is an element of P. One direction is easy, for the other direction take g not in P. Then gP is an element of the quotient group G/P which has order n. Can you finish? Once you have that, automorphisms preserve the order of elements.

5. Nov 27, 2007 #4
    I have no problem showing the orders of G and G/P, but I don't understand why an automorphism automatically preserve the order of elements.

6. Nov 27, 2007 #5
    Automorphisms are isomorphisms. Do you believe that isomorphisms preserve the order of elements? You should.

Edit: Hopefully you realize that when I said that 'automorphisms are isomorphisms' I was not implying that they are the same thing. Automorphisms are isomorphisms that map the group back onto the same group. The order of the automorphism group gives a sense of symmetry that the group has.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?