Cauchy's Theorem Problem (Abstract Algebra question)

• Thread starter J0EBL0W
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in abstract algebra involving Cauchy's Theorem. The problem states that for a group G of order (p^n)*m, where p is a prime and p does not divide m, with a normal subgroup P of order p^n, it must hold that f(P) = P for every automorphism A of G. The conversation goes on to discuss the proof of this statement, with the use of isomorphisms and automorphisms to show that the order of elements is preserved.
J0EBL0W
Cauchy's Theorem Problem (Abstract Algebra question)

Homework Statement

I've been thinking about this problem for a couple days now, and I don't even know how to approach it. The problem is:
Let G be a group of order (p^n)*m, where p is a prime and p does not divide m. Suppose that G has a normal subgroup P of order p^n. Prove that f(P)=P for every automorphism 'A' of G.

I can't even convince myself that the question is true, then alone a method on how to show it. Any point in the right direction would help me a ton. Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is "f"? Did you mean A(P)?

Prove that for g in G, the order of g divides p^n iff g is an element of P. One direction is easy, for the other direction take g not in P. Then gP is an element of the quotient group G/P which has order n. Can you finish? Once you have that, automorphisms preserve the order of elements.

I have no problem showing the orders of G and G/P, but I don't understand why an automorphism automatically preserve the order of elements.

Automorphisms are isomorphisms. Do you believe that isomorphisms preserve the order of elements? You should.

Edit: Hopefully you realize that when I said that 'automorphisms are isomorphisms' I was not implying that they are the same thing. Automorphisms are isomorphisms that map the group back onto the same group. The order of the automorphism group gives a sense of symmetry that the group has.

Last edited:

1. What is Cauchy's Theorem Problem?

Cauchy's Theorem Problem, also known as Cauchy's Integral Theorem, is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that states that if a function is analytic (or holomorphic) inside a closed contour, then the integral of that function around the contour is equal to the sum of the values of the function inside the contour.

2. Who discovered Cauchy's Theorem Problem?

French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy is credited with discovering Cauchy's Theorem Problem in the early 19th century. He made significant contributions to the development of complex analysis and is considered one of the greatest mathematicians of all time.

3. What is the importance of Cauchy's Theorem Problem?

Cauchy's Theorem Problem is considered one of the most important theorems in complex analysis. It has numerous applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering, and is used to solve many complex problems involving contour integration.

4. What is the difference between Cauchy's Theorem Problem and Cauchy's Residue Theorem?

Cauchy's Theorem Problem and Cauchy's Residue Theorem are closely related, but they are not the same. Cauchy's Theorem Problem states that if a function is analytic inside a closed contour, then the integral of that function around the contour is equal to the sum of the values of the function inside the contour. Cauchy's Residue Theorem, on the other hand, states that the integral of a function around a closed contour is equal to the sum of the residues of the function at its singular points inside the contour.

5. What are some real-world applications of Cauchy's Theorem Problem?

Cauchy's Theorem Problem has numerous real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used in the calculation of electric and magnetic fields, fluid flow, and heat transfer. It also has applications in signal processing, control theory, and image processing.