1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy's Theorem

1. Feb 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that if a is a positive real constant, the function exp(iaz2) --> 0 as |z| --> infinity for 0 < arg(z) < pi/4

By applying Cauchy's theorem to a suitable contour prove that the integral of cos(ax2)dx from 0 to infinity is equal to (pi/8a)1/2

3. The attempt at a solution

My work thus far is attached as a scanned document since I don't know how to properly insert equations here. I'm not sure how to express cos(nx2) in terms such that I can integrate and find an answer.

Thanks for helping!
    Andrew

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2010 #2
    I'm pretty sure this is wrong but I may as well ask. Would expanding cos(ax^2) as a Taylor series help? If so, where would you go from there? For some reason I just can't seem to get the hang of working with complex numbers.

4. Feb 3, 2010 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What you have written down for this part of the problem doesn't make sense.

Consider [itex]e^{x+iy}=e^x(\cos y+i\sin y)[/itex]. The imaginary part of the exponent, y, results in the cosine and sine terms. They just oscillate and won't cause the exponential to go to zero. What will cause the exponential to go to zero is if x, the real part of the exponent, goes to [itex]-\infty[/itex].

In your problem, the exponent is [itex]iaz^2[/itex]. What you want to show is that the real part of this quantity will go to [itex]-\infty[/itex] as [itex]|z|\rightarrow\infty[/itex] when [itex]0<\arg(z)<\pi/4[/itex].

Here's a hint. According to Euler's formula, you have

[tex]e^{iaz^2}=\cos(az^2)+i\sin(az^2)[/tex]

The first term happens to look like the function you want to integrate.

5. Feb 3, 2010 #4
    That makes perfect sense now. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook