Prove Cauchy's Thm: Integral of cos(ax2) from 0 to $\infty$ = $(\pi/8a)^{1/2}$

• Thread starter metgt4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the function exp(iaz2) approaches 0 as the absolute value of z approaches infinity for values of z between 0 and pi/4, and how to use Cauchy's theorem to show that the integral of cos(ax2) from 0 to infinity is equal to (pi/8a)1/2. The conversation also includes a discussion on using Euler's formula to simplify the problem.
metgt4

Homework Statement

Show that if a is a positive real constant, the function exp(iaz2) --> 0 as |z| --> infinity for 0 < arg(z) < pi/4

By applying Cauchy's theorem to a suitable contour prove that the integral of cos(ax2)dx from 0 to infinity is equal to (pi/8a)1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

My work thus far is attached as a scanned document since I don't know how to properly insert equations here. I'm not sure how to express cos(nx2) in terms such that I can integrate and find an answer.

Thanks for helping!
Andrew

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 616
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure this is wrong but I may as well ask. Would expanding cos(ax^2) as a Taylor series help? If so, where would you go from there? For some reason I just can't seem to get the hang of working with complex numbers.

metgt4 said:
Show that if a is a positive real constant, the function exp(iaz2) --> 0 as |z| --> infinity for 0 < arg(z) < pi/4
What you have written down for this part of the problem doesn't make sense.

Consider [itex]e^{x+iy}=e^x(\cos y+i\sin y)[/itex]. The imaginary part of the exponent, y, results in the cosine and sine terms. They just oscillate and won't cause the exponential to go to zero. What will cause the exponential to go to zero is if x, the real part of the exponent, goes to [itex]-\infty[/itex].

In your problem, the exponent is [itex]iaz^2[/itex]. What you want to show is that the real part of this quantity will go to [itex]-\infty[/itex] as [itex]|z|\rightarrow\infty[/itex] when [itex]0<\arg(z)<\pi/4[/itex].

By applying Cauchy's theorem to a suitable contour prove that the integral of cos(ax2)dx from 0 to infinity is equal to (pi/8a)1/2.
Here's a hint. According to Euler's formula, you have

[tex]e^{iaz^2}=\cos(az^2)+i\sin(az^2)[/tex]

The first term happens to look like the function you want to integrate.

That makes perfect sense now. Thanks!

1. What is Cauchy's theorem?

Cauchy's theorem, also known as Cauchy's integral theorem, is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that states that if two functions are analytic in a simply connected region and have the same values along any continuous path within that region, then the two functions are equal throughout the region.

2. What is the significance of Cauchy's theorem in mathematics?

Cauchy's theorem is significant in mathematics because it provides a powerful tool for solving complex integration problems. It is also the basis for many important theorems in complex analysis, such as the Cauchy integral formula and the Cauchy residue theorem.

3. How is Cauchy's theorem related to the integral of cos(ax^2)?

Cauchy's theorem can be used to prove the integral of cos(ax^2) from 0 to infinity equals (pi/8a)^(1/2). This is because the integral is a special case of the more general Cauchy integral formula, which allows for the evaluation of integrals using the values of a function on the boundary of the integration region.

4. What is the process for proving Cauchy's theorem for the integral of cos(ax^2)?

To prove Cauchy's theorem for the integral of cos(ax^2), one can use the Cauchy integral formula and apply it to a particular contour that encloses the region of interest. By carefully choosing this contour and making use of the properties of the cosine function, the integral can be simplified and evaluated to show that it equals (pi/8a)^(1/2).

5. Are there any applications of Cauchy's theorem beyond complex analysis?

While Cauchy's theorem is primarily used in complex analysis, it also has applications in other areas of mathematics such as differential equations, number theory, and geometry. It has also been applied in physics, particularly in the study of electromagnetic fields and fluid mechanics.