Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy's Theorem

1. Jun 24, 2011 #1
    A book on which I am studying (Arfken: Mathematical Methods for Physicists), uses the following result in order to derive an asymptotic expansion:

[tex]\int_{0}^{-i\infty} \frac{e^{-xu}}{1+iu}du = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{e^{-xu}}{1+iu}du,[/tex]
    where the change of limits in the integral is justified by invoking Cauchy's theorem. I am familiar with Cauchy's theorem, but I am not sure why it justifies this passage. How does it work?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2011 #2
    The only singularity of the denominator is for u = i, so for any path that doesn't go around i, cauchy's theorem gives that the contour integral is zero. Now which path to take? Take a quarter of a circle centered around zero and with radius R; take the quarter that lies in the region where Re(u) > 0 and Im(u) < 0, in other words "at the bottom right". So we have a contour with 3 "sides": a straight line from 0 to R, one on a piece of a circle going from R to -iR and then a line from -iR to 0. If we can prove that the contribution of the circle segment goes to zero for R -> infinity, then we have the statement in your OP.

However, I do not know how to prove that the contribution goes to zero...

4. Jun 25, 2011 #3
    Thanks for your help. I'll try to prove the remaining part and will post here the results, if it works.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook