Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Caught my first paddle fish

1. Oct 9, 2005 #1
    Caught my first paddlefish!!!

But...no one brought a camera. I had to actually let this one go because he was 35.5'' and anything between 35 and 45 inches you have to let go. I'll get one tomorrow though and post a pic....:smile:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2005 #2
    Wow thats a odd fish! Where are you fishing at? We don't have them where I live..do people eat them?

4. Oct 9, 2005 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Really, hypatia!
    How can it be used in a canoe then?

5. Oct 9, 2005 #4
    Gavins point Dam near Yankton in South Dakota of course....:smile:

I caught two more today but had to let them go because they were in the size range that I had to let them go. I'll get a keeper this weekend and post a pic...

6. Oct 10, 2005 #5
    Well here are the pics I promised....I didn't actually get to keep any fish because they were all the wrong sizes to keep but I do have some pics...

The first is of me fishing....take note of the size of the fishing pole and reel...
    [​IMG]

The second one is of me and my father in law holding up a paddlefish he caught...we let this fish go as well in case anyone is wondering.

[​IMG]

7. Oct 10, 2005 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I DID notice the size of your fishing pole, Townsend, at your request. Very nice!

Nice fish, too.

8. Oct 10, 2005 #7
    :rofl: thanks...I think..:smile:

9. Oct 10, 2005 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I guess you are more enthusiastic about the fish, though..:frown:

10. Oct 10, 2005 #9
    Sorry to disappoint you, I can’t help being straight any more than you can help being gay. I have never seen a picture of you but I do find you very attractive based on your incredibly large intelligence....if that's any kind of consolation to you...:blushing:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  11. Oct 10, 2005 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

:biggrin:
    :biggrin: I was trying to make a joke upon the various meanings of "fish", but it wasn't any good, I think. :cry:
    It was never meant to be a come on, although it was intentionally phrased as such. That is admirably clear, right? :smile:

12. Oct 10, 2005 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Wow, big fish Townsend.

13. Oct 10, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Standing out with just your shirtsleeves in SD this time of year? I had heard it was only in the 30s and 40s already (one of our post-docs is out there on an interview right now, so she was checking the weather before heading out...I told her that alone would be reason enough for me to never set foot in SD outside of the months of July and August).

What a strange looking fish! It looks prehistoric.

Um...yeah, ditto what arildno said...nice fishing pole. :biggrin: :blushing:

14. Oct 10, 2005 #13
    :redface: I was actually flattered but now I'm just embarrassed...

oh well.....

15. Oct 10, 2005 #14
    I've been out in below freezing weather wearing just a tee shirt and shorts....cold dosen't bother me, in fact I like it a lot.

Yes it actually is...it was nearly extinct 10 years ago. Gavins Point Dam has a hugh fish hatchery that that has really helped to bring the paddlefish back.

:blushing:

16. Oct 10, 2005 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You'd have to like it a lot to live in SD! Brrrrrrrr! If I ever visit the state, I'll have to get you to keep me warm. :biggrin:

17. Oct 10, 2005 #16
    I do...I love snow too. The only complaint I have is that the winters are sometimes too long. Once March comes around I cannot wait for spring!

:blushing:

18. Oct 11, 2005 #17

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Ah, you remind me of Jessica Gavreau, a girl from Maine that I went to college with for a while. She and I would go out in the snow sometimes wearing just our underwear.

Oh, and nice fish. I really need to get out there. I don't think I've fished since I was a teenager.

19. Oct 11, 2005 #18
    Glad to hear you had fun terrorizing the poor animal [​IMG]

20. Oct 11, 2005 #19

Danger

Gold Member

That thing is way to ugly to eat!:yuck: It deserves to be extinct.

21. Oct 11, 2005 #20
    If you want to complain about something do it in your own worthless thread. Its rude to crap on people's threads because you have an opinion that you feel the world has to hear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?