Caught Staring!

• Thread starter qspeechc
  • Start date
How about this place?

broomrape_by_AlysonAutopsy.jpg

I used to have an apartment on the corner of opportunity boulevard and rape drive.

On a non-facetious note, why are there so many people (mostly dudes, but occasionally chicks) who have absolutely no idea how to relate to the opposite sex? It's like single-gender autism or something seriously. (And yeah, there are female stalkers too. For some reason I have attracted quite a few of them. And no, it's not cool, it's hella awkward and creepy.)
Aside from these people obviously having some sort of issue with needing to get attention and be loved I think it also has to do with the stupid over simplified advice people tell us all about dating and finding a mate. And then there are the silly, mostly unrealistic, romantic situations we read about in books and see in movies. We're brainwashed and sometimes don't even notice that there is a level of dissonance with reality in the ideas we are told and repeat to others.

"If you find a person attractive you should approach them and talk to them."
Obviously, as we have seen, this is not necessarily the case. While a person may welcome the approach of a person whom they find immediately attractive they are often more skeptical about just your average person. These 'stalkerish' type people will often approach others while they are busy with something or in a place where they are not expecting to be social and may well feel ambushed depending on the approach.

"Just be confident."
Aside from the fact that confidence in and of itself does not make one attractive you can not simply decide to "Just be confident". I've seen many people approach others with faux confidence and come off more creepy than they probably would have normally. One must develop confidence, you can not just flip it on like a light switch.

"You're perfect just the way you are."
No you are not. We all have flaws. Some more obvious than others. If you have dirty stringy hair then you ought to do something about that. If you do not shower daily, start. If you're wearing ridiculous looking clothes then figure out how to dress yourself. If you approach someone in your holey 1999 comic con shirt complete with pit stains and your hair sticking out every which way they are not likely to consider you the perfect little adonis your mother thinks you are.

"A [man/woman] would have to be crazy to not want to go out with you."
You are crazy if you believe this. Just because a person does not want to go out with you does not mean they need psychiatric help. Do not feel as though you need to help this poor crazy person by following them around and trying to explain why they obviously ought to date you. If you openly ask a person if they have issues because they turned you down you should probably go see a therapist to work on yours.

"You'll find the perfect person for you someday."
While this may not be untrue in and of itself many people seem to think that because they found "the perfect person" for them that this inherently means they are that person's "perfect person" as well. Sorry but while there may be "plenty of fish in the sea" after sifting them for ones that you find attractive you will also have to sift further for ones that are single and again for ones that are attracted to you and then sift further still for ones that may actually be interested in a long term relationship with you. And all that should at least make for a good start.

Stupid things in books and movies...

Persistence pays off...
No. 99.9+% of the time when a person says "No" it means no. If you persist in asking the same person out again and again they are most likely going to go from not being interested to incredibly resentful or even frightened and ready to look into a restraining order.

The moon light serenade...
Showing up outside of a persons house in the middle of the night to tell them how much you love them is really just plain creepy even if you're dating them to begin with. We are long since the days of Cerino and have these nifty inventions called phones and the internet though you probably oughtn't call the object of your affection in the middle of the night either.

The tortured soul...
Unless you're really hot the average person is not going to find your depression and self destructive habits mysterious and sexy. Showing up on their doorstep crying or dying from alcohol poisoning and cutting yourself in their presence should rightly find you in the custody of the proper authorities. Please get professional help instead of seeking an amateur nursemaid.

There's plenty more but I can't really think of them at the moment. Anyone else please feel free to add to the list.

"If you find a person attractive you should approach them and talk to them."

Generally doesn't hurt, just respect when someone isn't interested.

"Aside from the fact that confidence in and of itself does not make one attractive..."

real confidence almost certainly helps

"...you can not simply decide to "Just be confident". I've seen many people approach others with faux confidence and come off more creepy than they probably would have normally. One must develop confidence, you can not just flip it on like a light switch."

Bingo. I have a friend who has this trouble.

I agree with nearly everything else you've said here, except..

"Persistence pays off...
No. 99.9+% of the time when a person says "No" it means no. If you persist in asking the same person out again and again they are most likely going to go from not being interested to incredibly resentful or even frightened and ready to look into a restraining order."

Depends on what kind of persistence. But generally this is true.

On a different note, that Dimitri cat reminds me of another creepy guy I know in real life. The vocal patterns are so similar.

Edit: After a google search, this character is apparently a "self-help guru" marketing seduction techniques. I kid you not. his real name is James Sears. I can't link to his site as it is extremely vulgar, but holy moly.

Further Edit: I think I've been had. I think it "James Sears" is some sort of elaborate joke/viral marketing stunt. Or not. Dimitri claims to be divine, and has a creation myth where um, part of him goes back in time and creates the universe, sexually. This can't be for real.

Last edited:
~christina~
Gold Member
Someone seriously needs to kill this thread.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Someone seriously needs to kill this thread.
It's not dead yet, but it's definitely a tortured soul.

Evo
Mentor
Did someone say kill?