Is Our Universe a Causal Patch Stretched by Inflation?

• B
  • Thread starter Cerenkov
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary: A.Your questions can only be answered by educated guesses.Inflation was an idea to explain a problem with the big bang. The way I looked at it is that it was unnecessary.B.In summary, inflationary theory is a way to try to solve the horizon problem. It is postulated that a pre-inflationary causal patch of uniform temperature is responsible for this. It is reasonable to say that our universe can be considered to be this patch, but our universe shouldn't be considered to be any causally disconnected regions that might have arisen from subsequent episodes of inflation.
Cerenkov
Hello.
I'm not entirely sure how to go about asking these questions - so please bear with me if I trip up in the framing of them. Any helpful correction or advice is welcome, btw.

I've done some reading up on how inflationary theory tries to solve the horizon problem...

http://www.astronomynotes.com/cosmolgy/s12.htm
http://philosophy-of-cosmology.ox.ac.uk/horizon-problem.html
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Astro/cosmo.html

...and how a pre-inflationary causal patch of uniform temperature is postulated to do this.

So, is it reasonable to say that...

A.
Our universe can be considered to be this causal patch, stretched by inflation to a size far larger than any kind of cosmological horizon centered upon us?

B.
But our universe shouldn't be considered to be any causally disconnected regions that might have arisen from subsequent episodes of inflation?

Thanks,

Cerenkov.

Space news on Phys.org
Any description of the universe before inflation is highly speculative. your questions can only be answered by educated guesses.

Inflation was an idea to explain a problem with the big bang. The way I looked at it is that it was unnecessary.

If the BB expanded into complete nothingness, then there are no biases. As to the material of the original "singularity", that would have been uniformly spread too, so no biases there either.

As I see it, a homogenised Universe would naturally come about without inflation, and there is the problem. How do large objects like galaxies and supermassive black holes form so quicky?

Galaxy GN-z11 which has about a billion solar masses is believed to have formed just 400 million years after the big bang. And as we get better telescopes, we keep finding older objects so there may be even older galaxies.

SMBH's were first thought to have formed around 1400 million years after the big bang but the present record holder at 800 million solar masses is just 690 million years after the BB. A point here is that it might be thought that galaxies formed around SMBH's, so does GN=z11 have an SMBH?

Cerenkov said:
A.
Our universe can be considered to be this causal patch, stretched by inflation to a size far larger than any kind of cosmological horizon centered upon us?
B.
But our universe shouldn't be considered to be any causally disconnected regions that might have arisen from subsequent episodes of inflation?
I think whenever people talk about 'universe', they indeed tend to refer to what can be described by Big Bang cosmology only.
In the context of inflation. I've seen the non-inflating patches described as 'bubble universes' and the larger inflationary landscape as the multiverse. But I'm not sure there is any definitive nomenclature here. One could also lean on the semantics of the 'universe' as being all there is, and insist that the non-inflating patches are just specific regions in the universe.
What one calls 'the universe' is context-dependent, and a bit of a personal choice, is what I'm saying.

Likes pBrane
MikeinSpain said:
Inflation was an idea to explain a problem with the big bang. The way I looked at it is that it was unnecessary.

If the BB expanded into complete nothingness, then there are no biases. As to the material of the original "singularity", that would have been uniformly spread too, so no biases there either.
One cannot arrive at the BB model unless one assumes homogeneity and isotropy, so in the model there can be no 'nothingness'. Insisting that there was is discussing something else than the BB model, and as such is outside the scope of this forum. In BB the singularity spans the entire space at time 0, and similarly, the material fills all of space.

The problem with BB which inflation explains is that without it there is no reason for unbiased, uniform spreading of material, if that material has always been causally disconnected. Since in BB everything starts out disconnected*, one patch of the universe could not 'know' what unbiased means - i.e. there was no physical process that could homogenise the universe, let alone to such precise extent as observed.

*with passing time the light cone of any observer always grows to encompass more and more material, starting from none at the singularity.

When I say expanding into nothingness, I am saying the singularity if that is what you wanted to call it was all there is, so when it expanded, there was nothing that could in any way impede any part of it and so create bias.

Surely in the BB evertything did start connected as it all came from the same singularity and everty thing was all created, as is, each at the same moment?

If one billion people each flip a coin one billion times each, they are going to balance out to pretty much exactly half heads and half tails. What they "know" has no bearing on the result.

Any difference in temperature would come about how? Any part of the big bang would expand faster than another part how? Remember, this is not an explosion.

MikeinSpain said:
Surely in the BB evertything did start connected as it all came from the same singularity and everty thing was all created, as is, each at the same moment?
No, everything was disconnected. See the following graph:
upload_2018-8-12_17-44-41.png

(source: Lineweaver & Davis, 2003)
At time 0 the light cone has zero extent. As time passes, neighbouring regions gradually become connected (before disconnecting again), but e.g. the regions opposite on the sky have never been in causal contact.
(the singularity on this graph is the entire x-axis extending to infinity in both directions)

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-12_17-44-41.png
    upload_2018-8-12_17-44-41.png
    44.5 KB · Views: 740
MikeinSpain said:
If one billion people each flip a coin one billion times each, they are going to balance out to pretty much exactly half heads and half tails. What they "know" has no bearing on the result.
Let me address this bit too.
Let's assume for the moment that this is a good analogy for primordial matter distribution (it's not binary, but an infinite, or at least very large, range of values).
If one billion people flip a coin one billion times, then - even as the average will be 50-50 heads and tails - there will be islands of clustering, where e.g. 100 people, one next to another, flipped heads five times in a row.
Without a physical process accounting for equalising such clusters despite their causal disconnect, we should see them on the sky as regions with different CMBR temperatures.

MikeinSpain said:
Any difference in temperature would come about how? Any part of the big bang would expand faster than another part how? Remember, this is not an explosion.
What you did here is implicitly assume that the entire universe was homogeneous at t=0. You then ask what process could possibly account for deviations from this homogeneity, which is begging the question.

MikeinSpain said:

Nothing can come from a singularity.

"I think whenever people talk about 'universe', they indeed tend to refer to what can be described by Big Bang cosmology only.
In the context of inflation. I've seen the non-inflating patches described as 'bubble universes' and the larger inflationary landscape as the multiverse. But I'm not sure there is any definitive nomenclature here. One could also lean on the semantics of the 'universe' as being all there is, and insist that the non-inflating patches are just specific regions in the universe.
What one calls 'the universe' is context-dependent, and a bit of a personal choice, is what I'm saying."

Thank you for this help, Bandersnatch.

Btw, your graphic...

upload_2018-8-12_17-44-41-png.png

...looks interesting.

Could you please talk me through how I should go about understanding it properly?

Thanks again.

Cerenkov.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-12_17-44-41-png.png
    upload_2018-8-12_17-44-41-png.png
    44.5 KB · Views: 650
Bandersnatch,

A quick glance at your linked info tells me that it's going to answer a LOT of my questions.

So, thank you very, very much indeed!
06dc051c6d6f1fe3645a7ded30f559c7.png

Cerenkov.

Attachments

• 06dc051c6d6f1fe3645a7ded30f559c7.png
    06dc051c6d6f1fe3645a7ded30f559c7.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 645
Likes berkeman

1. What is a causal patch?

A causal patch is a theoretical concept in cosmology that refers to the part of the universe that is causally connected to a particular observer or region. It is the region of space-time that can be influenced by events in the observer's past light cone.

2. How is our universe related to the concept of a causal patch?

Our universe is thought to be a causal patch, meaning that it is the region of space-time that is causally connected to us or our observable universe. It is the part of the universe that we can potentially observe and interact with.

3. What evidence supports the idea of our universe being a causal patch?

There are several lines of evidence that support the idea of our universe being a causal patch. One is the observed cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the remnant heat from the Big Bang and can be seen in all directions. Another is the large-scale structure of the universe, which shows a web-like pattern of galaxy clusters that is consistent with the predictions of inflation theory.

4. Can there be multiple causal patches within the larger universe?

Yes, it is possible for there to be multiple causal patches within the larger universe. In fact, it is a common hypothesis in multiverse theories. Each causal patch would have its own set of physical laws and properties, making it a distinct universe from the others.

5. How does the concept of a causal patch relate to the concept of a multiverse?

The concept of a causal patch is closely related to the concept of a multiverse, as it is often used to describe one of the ways in which a multiverse could exist. The idea is that each causal patch within the larger universe could be its own distinct universe, with its own set of physical laws and properties. However, the existence of a multiverse is still a highly debated and speculative topic in the scientific community.