1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Causal Systems

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    We have been going over causal systems and I am still having trouble determining what defines a system to be causal.

I was told that if the input is anything besides x(a*t) where a=1 then the system is non causal. I can kind of see this, but it is still a bit blurry for me. I also was wondering if that would still apply if you removed t directly from the input equation...

say like if you had [tex] y(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{t}x(5{\tau}) d\tau [/tex]

then is this automatically not causal because of the the 5 coefficient on the inside of x()

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2007 #2
    That's not true.

The system defined by [tex]y(t) = x(t-1)[/tex] is causal although [tex]x(t-1)[/tex] is something else than [tex]x(t)[/tex].

The general definition for a causal system (linear or non-linear, time-invariant or time-variant) is:

Given 2 input signals [tex]x_1(t)[/tex] and [tex]x_2(t)[/tex] such that [tex]x_1(t) = x_2(t)[/tex] for any [tex]t < t_0[/tex], the system is causal if the output signals [tex]y_1(t) = y_2(t)[/tex] for any [tex]t < t_0[/tex]

If the system is linear then if we apply a signal [tex]x(t) = x_1(t) - x_2(t)[/tex] the output should be [tex]y(t) = y_1(t) - y_2(t)[/tex], so the condition for the system to be causal (in the case of linear systems) reduces to:

if [tex]x(t) = 0[/tex] for [tex]t<t_0[/tex] then [tex]y(t) = 0[/tex] for [tex]t<t_0[/tex]

If the system is linear and time invariant, the condition for causality reduces to:

[tex]h(t)=0[/tex] for [tex]t<0[/tex]

So depending on the kind of system and your known data you should check one of these conditions.

In the case of [tex] y(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{t}x(5{\tau}) d\tau [/tex] I know that it's linear because it's defined by an integral which is a linear operation so I will check the second condition.
    I pick an instant [tex]t_0[/tex] at which the output will be [tex] y(t_0) = \int_{-\infty}^{t_0}x(5{\tau}) d\tau [/tex]

So we see that the output depends on values of [tex]x(t)[/tex] till [tex]5t_0[/tex] but
    we know that [tex]x(t) = 0[/tex] only for [tex]t<t_0[/tex] and thus the output will not be 0 for any [tex]t<t_0[/tex] which means that the system is not causal.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  4. Sep 24, 2007 #3

rbj

i sorta like the Wikipedia definition of causal system (i had a hand in it before they kicked me out of Wikipedia):

i think you can conclude that for an LTI system, causality is equivalent to the impulse response h(t) being zero for all t < 0. t0 is not a parameter of the impulse response. the impulse response is the LTI to a unit impulse applied at t=0.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  5. Sep 25, 2007 #4
    You're right of course. I just copied the latex expression above it and forgot to replace t0 with 0 as well. I'll edit it now. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?