Causality in Relativity: Examining the Illusion of Simultaneous Cause and Effect

In summary: Actually, there is a sense in which "simultaneous causality" is possible in relativity : remember that a photon "doesn't experience time" in the sense that it's proper time interval is zero - say, from emission to absorption, the two events being clearly causally related.
palmer eldtrich
I have heard some philosophers state that cause and effect can be simultaneous with each other.
Kant for example apparently claimed that when a bowling ball rests on a pillow creating a depression that the cause and the effect are simultaneous.
It seems to me this is forbidden in relativity. All causal relations must be transmitted at a speed no greater than c hence whilst a cause and effect might seem simultaneous that is just an illusion. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Changes in the state will be transmitted at no greater than c. If nothing is changing, and you are talking about some static equilibrium, there is no cause and effect to talk about.

Drop the bowling ball on the pillow, and the depression will form at a speed less than c.

Thanks for the reply. So you agree simultaneous causality is forbidden in relativity ? If it were allowed would it possible to send a signal back in time ?

palmer eldtrich said:
Thanks for the reply. So you agree simultaneous causality is forbidden in relativity ? If it were allowed would it possible to send a signal back in time ?

Then you could ask Emmanuel Kant directly!

My understanding is that philosophers (in this context at least) aren't using "cause" in quite the same way as physicists do when talking about general relativity. Philosophy is off-topic here, and I'm hardly what you would call an expert, so I'll leave it at that.

As to what the consequences would be if simultaneous causation were possible, there isn't a way to reply to that. You aren't proposing a small change to relativity; you are throwing the whole thing out and putting an unspecified something else in its place. The properties of an unspecified something could be anything.

I'd like to add though that two events A and B which are null separated can, with an appropriate Lorentz transformation, be made to occur arbitrarily close to simultaneously with each other. If, for example, A occurred 10 seconds before B in one frame, there are frames of reference in which A occurred only .001s before B or .000001s before B. They can not be made to actually be simultaneous with each other; however, nor can you reverse the order in which they occurred. This is how causality is preserved in SR. Since space-like separated points can be made, with an appropriate Lorentz transformation, to occur in either temporal order, they can not have a cause and effect relationship in SR or else there would be some frames in which an effect came before the cause.

palmer eldtrich said:
Thanks for the reply. So you agree simultaneous causality is forbidden in relativity ?

Implicit in "causality" is spacetime inbetween "happenings" until they happen. Your questions spoils causality defined.

Matterwave said it well with "causality is preserved in SR."

I deleted the second question because it's very confused.

Ibix said:
My understanding is that philosophers (in this context at least) aren't using "cause" in quite the same way as physicists do when talking about general relativity.
Also, remember Kant was writing more than a century before Einstein, at a time when Newtonian ideas of absolute simultaneity and absolute spacetime where the gold standard in physics, so you can't really expect him to give you insights into relativity. Some earlier philosophers would actually be much more relevant but as Ibix said that's off-topic here.

I understand that but I have seen philosophers use this argument even today.

palmer eldtrich said:
I understand that but I have seen philosophers use this argument even today.
Ah I wish we could discuss that, but unfortunately if there was a philosophy section in the forum, it would probably swiftly descend into chaos so we have to do without : )

As I noted earlier, those philosophers are using a different definition of "cause" to the one being used by the people responding to this thread. By the relativistic definition of causality, Kant's argument is wrong. But Kant wasn't using that definition (he couldn't - as wabbit noted, he predated Einstein by a way). Why people still buy into Kant's definition of "cause" is not a topic that we can address here - you'll have to ask in a philosophy forum.

Given the philosophical focus of this topic, the thread is in danger of being closed. Let's stick with physics here. There are good physics concepts that can be discussed here. If we can't stick to those then I will have to close the thread.

Actually, there is a sense in which "simultaneous causality" is possible in relativity : remember that a photon "doesn't experience time" in the sense that it's proper time interval is zero - say, from emission to absorption, the two events being clearly causally related.
So you could say that emission and and absorption are simultaneous "from the point of view of the photon" as far as that makes sense.

wabbit said:
a photon "doesn't experience time" in the sense that it's proper time interval is zero

No, this is not correct. What is correct is that the concept of "proper time" does not make sense for a photon. It only makes sense for objects that travel on timelike worldlines. A photon's worldline is null, not timelike.

wabbit said:
you could say that emission and and absorption are simultaneous "from the point of view of the photon" as far as that makes sense.

Which is to say, not at all. The concept of "simultaneous" only makes sense for events which are spacelike separated. The emission and absorption events for a photon are null separated.

PeterDonis said:
No, this is not correct. What is correct is that the concept of "proper time" does not make sense for a photon. It only makes sense for objects that travel on timelike worldlines. A photon's worldline is null, not timelike.
I see. The mathematical definition of proper time as the integral of the line element along the worldline does give a well-defined result of zero though, so I can't say I understand why it is incorrect to talk of "zero proper time along a null worldline".

Of course it is incorrect is to ascribe a "viewpoint" to the photon as this would be meaningful only if there was an inertial frame to represent that "viewpoint" - hence my "as far as that makes sense" - I would have said "not much" but I won't argue with "not at all".

wabbit said:
The mathematical definition of proper time as the integral of the line element along the worldline

That's part of the definition, but not all of it. The other part is that proper time must be an affine parameter along the worldline. Basically, that means each point on the worldline must be labeled with a different value of proper time. (There are also other technical conditions that aren't relevant here.) Arc length (the integral of the line element along the worldline) has this property for timelike worldlines, but not for null worldlines. So a null worldline can be said to have zero arc length, but not zero proper time, because arc length doesn't uniquely label points on the null worldline.

Can you explain the difference between different notions of time, proper time, conformal time etc?

palmer eldtrich said:
Can you explain the difference between different notions of time, proper time, conformal time etc?

Physically, proper time is the time that is recorded on an (ideal) clock that follows a particular timelike worldline. Geometrically, it is just arc length along that worldline. It is invariant, i.e., it does not depend on the choice of coordinates.

Conformal time is a particular type of coordinate time. Coordinate time in general is just the value of the "time" coordinate in a particular coordinate chart. (Some charts actually do not have a "time" coordinate; we're restricting discussion here to those that do.) Ob viously, coordinate time depends on the choice of coordinates.

Likes palmer eldtrich
It seems to me this is forbidden in relativity. All causal relations must be transmitted at a speed no greater than c hence whilst a cause and effect might seem simultaneous that is just an illusion. Am I right?

I have read before that gravity must be propagating many orders of magnitude faster than EM waves (nearly instantaneously). The argument was that if it didn't, then our solar system would not work. I don't know much about it but I think there are some experts on this forum who could explain it. Also, there are numerous posts on this forum related to the "speed of gravity".

Aaron

doaaron said:
I have read before that gravity must be propagating many orders of magnitude faster than EM waves (nearly instantaneously). The argument was that if it didn't, then our solar system would not work.
Reference please.

For the most part, gravity doesn't propagate in our solar system, it is essentially a static field. For the minute part of gravity that does propagate our solar system would work fine with it propagating at c.

Please provide the reference. Either the reference is wrong or you misunderstood their point.

Either the reference is wrong or you misunderstood their point.

Perhaps...
Or their point isn't considered mainstream but is in fact right...in which case I wouldn't be allowed to post it anyway.

If I find the link I will consider posting it.Aaronedit: I found the link. Not being a physicist, I only really understood the gist of it, and I don't know how mainstream or not it is considered to be.

<<deleted link>>

Last edited by a moderator:
doaaron said:
Not being a physicist, I only really understood the gist of it, and I don't know how mainstream or not it is considered to be.

<<deleted link>>
Hi doaaron,

You understood the link correctly, the link itself is flat out wrong. This is van Flandern who is a well-known crackpot, essentially anything you read from him is going to be wrong.

In this case, his basic mistake is in equating the observed lack of aberration with a very high propagation speed. The (obvious) other reason for there to be no aberration is for there to not be anything propagating. A static field does not propagate, by definition, so the lack of aberration for a static field gives no information at all about what speed the field would propagate at if it were propagating.

Last edited:
This is van Flandern who is a well-known crackpot

I see...I hadn't heard of him until today, but either way, that sounds a bit harsh considering the paper showed an obviously high level of intelligence. Perhaps his theories are just not scientifically rigorous?

Anyway thanks for the correction.Aaron

A static field does not propagate, by definition, so the lack of aberration for a static field gives no information at all about what speed the field would propagate at if it were propagating.

This is something I'm having a lot of trouble understanding actually. Its not really what this thread is about, so I may post a new thread once I can gather my thoughts...Aaron

doaaron said:
that sounds a bit harsh
Perhaps it is a bit harsh. His Wikipedia page uses less harsh terms like "non-mainstream", "fringe-science", and "pseudo-science". If you prefer those terms over "crackpot", that is fine by me, but he is the first "pseudo-scientist" that I ever encountered and so to me he will always be the "standard crackpot" against which all others are measured.

doaaron said:
Its not really what this thread is about, so I may post a new thread once I can gather my thoughts.
Sounds good.

Last edited:
doaaron said:
I have read before that gravity must be propagating many orders of magnitude faster than EM waves (nearly instantaneously).

If the name "Tom Van Flandern" occurs in any of what you have read, then it's wrong. [Edit: I see that it is--didn't see the most recent posts before. Another correct guess on my part. :wink: ] (Btw, whenever you find yourself saying "I have read before", that's a red flag that you should be providing a reference. There's lots of stuff out on the Internet; for discussion here we need something more solid.) The best treatment of this that I know of is Steve Carlip's classic paper:

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9909087

He shows in some detail why the argument advanced by Van Flandern (and others) that purports to show that the solar system "would not work" if gravity propagates at ##c## is wrong.

doaaron said:
Also, there are numerous posts on this forum related to the "speed of gravity".

Yes, and if you look them up, you will find that plenty of them reference the above paper.

DaleSpam said:
his basic mistake is in equating the observed lack of aberration with a very high propagation speed. The (obvious) other reason for there to be no aberration is for there to not be anything propagating. A static field does not propagate, by definition, so the lack of aberration for a static field gives no information at all about what speed the field would propagate at if it were propagating.

This is all correct, but it's worth noting that this is only the first-order answer, valid when the field is exactly static--i.e., the central object is the only significant mass in the system, so the system center of mass is the same as that object's center of mass. But there's also a second-order answer, which takes into account that the solar system is not exactly static--the planets, particularly Jupiter, have non-negligible masses, so the center of mass of the solar system is not the same as the Sun's center of mass, and we can't view the Earth's interaction with the Sun as the Earth being just a test object moving in the Sun's static field. Carlip shows that, even for a non-static system (he uses the Kinnersley photon rocket as his example, but his conclusions apply to the solar system with the non-static effects included), the lack of observed aberration of gravity is consistent with gravity propagating at ##c##.

Btw, whenever you find yourself saying "I have read before", that's a red flag that you should be providing a reference.

I know. I get lazy sometimes...

thanks for the reference,Aaron

What is causality in relativity?

Causality in relativity refers to the concept that events in the universe are connected through a cause and effect relationship. It is the idea that an event (the cause) can lead to another event (the effect).

How does relativity affect causality?

Relativity theory, specifically the theory of special relativity, states that the concept of simultaneity (events happening at the same time) is relative and not absolute. This means that the perception of cause and effect can differ between observers depending on their relative motion.

What is the "illusion of simultaneous cause and effect"?

The illusion of simultaneous cause and effect refers to the belief that events can have a simultaneous cause and effect relationship, when in reality, this may not be the case due to the relativity of simultaneity. This illusion is a result of our everyday experiences and observations, but it does not hold true in the context of relativity theory.

Can causality be violated in relativity?

No, causality cannot be violated in relativity. While the perception of cause and effect may vary between observers, the fundamental principle of causality still holds true. This means that an effect cannot occur before its cause, and causality is always preserved regardless of the observer's reference frame.

What are the implications of relativity on causality?

The implications of relativity on causality are significant, as they challenge our traditional understanding of cause and effect. It suggests that our perception of the world is relative to our reference frame and that events may not occur in the same order for all observers. This has implications for our understanding of time, space, and the nature of reality.