1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Causality Question

1. Aug 8, 2008 #1
    This is a question i asked my tutor via email... kind of in a hurry to get it answered so i can fully understand causality for an assignment due on monday.

i'm having trouble understanding the causality of the attached tutorial question...
    if there is an input 'x(t)', for any 't<0' is this input zero? in the tutorial you wrote:
    "say t < t1, x(t) = 0
    lambda < t1, x(lambda) = 0
    "
    i'm not sure what you are referring to as 't1'... is this just an arbitrary time after 't = 0'? or is 't1' the origin of the input signal and any input signal before 't1' is zero.

if it is an arbitrary time after t = 0, how are we allowed to say that for 't < t1, x(t) = 0'?

Very grateful if anyone is able to help... cheers ;)

****Hmm, maybe this should have not been in this area... couldn't decide whether it was a homework question or just a question about the concept of causality :S****

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      1.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2008 #2
    t1<x(t)
    therefore
    x(t)=0
    t1 is the origin so this means it arbitrarily after 0

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?