Causes for producing Sound while crossing sound barrier

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a "sonic boom" and the factors that contribute to its production, including reaching Mach 1 speed and the impact of shock waves. The possibility of visualizing shock waves through experiments with supersonic bullets is also explored, with potential risks and the involvement of computer simulations being mentioned. It is concluded that such experiments would not result in any significant changes or phenomena, as they are simply a demonstration of energy conservation.
nilesh_pat
What causes to produce sound (like boom) when crossing a sound barrier.

With regards
Nilesh.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you google sonic boom ? or "sonic boom explained" ?

BvU said:
Did you google sonic boom ? or "sonic boom explained" ?

The "sonic boom" , the sound produced ,when reached at Mach 1 Speed.

With regards
Nilesh

Yes I know. But did it help you ?

BvU said:
Yes I know. But did it help you ?

No.

Usually waves emanating from a source reach you one by one. Can be noisy enough, as with airplanes, especially jet planes. In a shock wave they all reach you at the same time.

BvU said:
Usually waves emanating from a source reach you one by one. Can be noisy enough, as with airplanes, especially jet planes. In a shock wave they all reach you at the same time.

Is it possible to watch the cone of sock wave when we collide two bullets having colour at mach 1 speed.

With regards

Nilesh

nilesh_pat said:
Is it possible to watch the cone of sock wave when we collide two bullets having colour at mach 1 speed.

With regards

Nilesh

I am not 100% sure what you are hoping to watch, but yes, you could record two bullets colliding and visualize the shock waves that result provided you have the right equipment.

boneh3ad said:
I am not 100% sure what you are hoping to watch, but yes, you could record two bullets colliding and visualize the shock waves that result provided you have the right equipment.

Dear Sir,

the cone produced by the sock wave. The cone will carry some colour particle with them. and it will be two cone in opposite direction may be.

With regards

Nilesh.

nilesh_pat said:
The cone will carry some colour particle with them.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're saying. What is a 'colour particle' and what does it have to do with shock waves?

Since the point of impact is not moving, the shock wave produced by the impact will be spherical, not conical.

nilesh_pat said:
Dear Sir,

the cone produced by the sock wave. The cone will carry some colour particle with them. and it will be two cone in opposite direction may be.

With regards

Nilesh.

That still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but the answer is still yes. You could visualize it quite easily with schlieren or shadowgraph techniques.

Are you interested in the roughly conical shock produced by supersonic bullets or the potential shock created by the collision?

boneh3ad said:
That still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but the answer is still yes. You could visualize it quite easily with schlieren or shadowgraph techniques.

Are you interested in the roughly conical shock produced by supersonic bullets or the potential shock created by the collision?

Dear Sir,

Both of them, becouse they will collied at the time when they reached supersonic speed (Mack 1), Time of collied and supersonic speed will be same.

With reagards

Nilesh

Pretty dangerous experiment if you ask me.

BvU said:
Pretty dangerous experiment if you ask me.

Dear Sir,

As per your statement its seems that this type of experiment was not done before. Could we calculate the power generated by this impact or the risk involved in, doing this experiment. May be the whole scenario will simulated by computer. What will happen, it is a ? mark.

With regards

Nilesh.

nilesh_pat said:
As per your statement its seems that this type of experiment was not done before. Could we calculate the power generated by this impact or the risk involved in, doing this experiment. May be the whole scenario will simulated by computer. What will happen, it is a ? mark.

Nothing special will happen. The bullets will collide and be flattened or torn apart from the impact. Total energy involved is just the sum of the kinetic energy of the two bullets. Were you expecting something different to happen?

nilesh_pat said:
Both of them, becouse they will collied at the time when they reached supersonic speed (Mack 1), Time of collied and supersonic speed will be same.

A supersonic bullet will start out supersonic and gradually slow after that, so the idea that you could smash two bullets together just as they accelerate through Mach 1 doesn't really make sense in a conventional sense.

Further, a bullet traveling at exactly Mach 1 is going to have a very weak shock wave attached that would be more difficult to see. It won't likely be the classical conical shock, either, because that won't theoretically exist at Mach 1. Instead you would probably have a series of weak shocks associated with locally supersonic regions in the transonic flow field. Of course that's a moot point because the two bullets would only be going exactly Mach 1 for a tiny fraction of a second as they continue to slow down due to air resistance.

Drakkith said:
Nothing special will happen. The bullets will collide and be flattened or torn apart from the impact. Total energy involved is just the sum of the kinetic energy of the two bullets. Were you expecting something different to happen?

Ok sir, in case of bullets nothing will happen. If we fire a 1000 kg with the help of a rocket. (rocket to mainten the speed).

with regards

Nilesh

nilesh_pat said:
Ok sir, in case of bullets nothing will happen. If we fire a 1000 kg with the help of a rocket. (rocket to mainten the speed).

It still just amounts to conservation of energy. There is just more energy in that example.

What exactly is your purpose here?

boneh3ad said:
A supersonic bullet will start out supersonic and gradually slow after that, so the idea that you could smash two bullets together just as they accelerate through Mach 1 doesn't really make sense in a conventional sense.

Further, a bullet traveling at exactly Mach 1 is going to have a very weak shock wave attached that would be more difficult to see. It won't likely be the classical conical shock, either, because that won't theoretically exist at Mach 1. Instead you would probably have a series of weak shocks associated with locally supersonic regions in the transonic flow field. Of course that's a moot point because the two bullets would only be going exactly Mach 1 for a tiny fraction of a second as they continue to slow down due to air resistance.

with regards

Nilesh
boneh3ad said:
It still just amounts to conservation of energy. There is just more energy in that example.

What exactly is your purpose here?

Dear Sir,

I am exploring the way for " past light cone and future light cone " or may be some space portal due to the impact or vivration. I know i am wrong but you aksed so honestly i am replying.

With regards

Nilesh.

@nilesh_pat
So I suppose my next question ought to be whether you really understand what a shock wave is. You realize it is just a type of wave moving through the air, right?

nilesh_pat said:
Dear Sir,

With regards

Nilesh.
(No need to "sir" us, we're just a bunch of physics enthousiasts like you.)

Well, in wartime folks shoot at each other quite a lot, so from statistics alone it must have happened from time to time that your experimental conditions were fulfilled, albeit under uncontrolled circumstances.

What I had in mind is that shooting bullets isn't all that accurate, so you might loose a few assistants while carrying out this experiment.
Depending on the kind of bullets (tipped, round), they might also fly off in sideways directions hitting other spectators or the experimenter. Also awkward.

It would be reassuring to hear that you only intend to do the calculations, on paper or in a computer :smile:

BvU said:
Well, in wartime folks shoot at each other quite a lot, so from statistics alone it must have happened from time to time that your experimental conditions were fulfilled, albeit under uncontrolled circumstances.

What I had in mind is that shooting bullets isn't all that accurate, so you might loose a few assistants while carrying out this experiment.
Depending on the kind of bullets (tipped, round), they might also fly off in sideways directions hitting other spectators or the experimenter. Also awkward.

It would be reassuring to hear that you only intend to do the calculations, on paper or in a computer :smile:

If the MythBusters managed to do it on national television, I am sure it isn't all that difficult to shoot two bullets into one another. The bigger issue is that the reason for his wanting to try this seems to be... out there.

nilesh_pat said:
I am exploring the way for " past light cone and future light cone " or may be some space portal due to the impact or vivration. I know i am wrong but you aksed so honestly i am replying.

PF is not the place for this. Thread locked.

1. What is the sound that is produced when crossing the sound barrier?

The sound produced when crossing the sound barrier is called a sonic boom. It is a loud, explosive noise that occurs when an object travels faster than the speed of sound.

2. What causes the sound barrier to be broken?

The sound barrier is broken when an object, such as an airplane, reaches a speed greater than the speed of sound. This is known as supersonic speed, which is equivalent to Mach 1 or 761.2 miles per hour at sea level.

3. How does the shape of an object affect the production of sound when crossing the sound barrier?

The shape of an object can greatly impact the production of sound when crossing the sound barrier. Objects with a pointed or streamlined shape are able to more easily pass through the air and reduce the intensity of the sonic boom, while objects with a blunt shape will create a louder and more intense sonic boom.

4. Are there any negative effects of breaking the sound barrier?

Breaking the sound barrier can have negative effects on the environment, such as creating noise pollution and causing damage to buildings and structures. It can also be harmful to animals and disrupt their natural habitats. However, advancements in technology and aircraft design have helped to minimize these effects.

5. Is it possible for a human to break the sound barrier without technology?

No, it is not possible for a human to break the sound barrier without technology due to the intense force and speed required. The human body is not capable of withstanding the extreme conditions that occur when crossing the sound barrier, such as high G-forces and temperatures. Only specially designed aircrafts are able to safely break the sound barrier.