Making Cavity Microelectrodes: Overcoming Setbacks

• Thread starter rloughlin03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cavity
In summary: Not so good......soldering the Gold wire and copper wire together, or finding another low m.p. metal to use. I would really appreciate any ideas or feedback, especially from those who have made cavity electrodes before.ThanksIn summary, the goal is to make a cavity microelectrode with gold wire and copper wire in contact. Solder is being considered as a means of connecting the wires, but it is unclear if it will work.
rloughlin03
I am attempting to make a cavity microelectrode in which i will test the electro chemistry of polyaniline powder before moving on to other chemicals. I have read numerous papers on the subject. I am having a major setback in my aim: i need contact between my gold wire and the voltameter (as shown in the diagram). I originally tried mercury, but forgot that it would dissolve the gold. I am thinking of either one of three things: a graphite powder, soldering the Gold wire and copper wire together, or finding another low m.p. metal to use. I would really appreciate any ideas or feedback, especially from those who have made cavity electrodes before.

Thanks

Ryan

P.S. apologies for the crude diagram, done in a rush. Just trying to help "paint the picture"

Attachments

• ec.JPG
    ec.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 386
Chemistry news on Phys.org
rloughlin03 said:
I am attempting to make a cavity microelectrode in which i will test the electro chemistry of polyaniline powder before moving on to other chemicals. I have read numerous papers on the subject. I am having a major setback in my aim: i need contact between my gold wire and the voltameter (as shown in the diagram). I originally tried mercury, but forgot that it would dissolve the gold. I am thinking of either one of three things: a graphite powder,
Not so good...

...soldering the Gold wire and copper wire together,
solder - yes
Copper to Gold - why?

... or finding another low m.p. metal to use. I would really appreciate any ideas or feedback, especially from those who have made cavity electrodes before.

Thanks

Ryan

P.S. apologies for the crude diagram, done in a rush. Just trying to help "paint the picture"

For what you are intending, isn't a 4-point probe a better choice?

Got good results using a platinum wire, with a mercury contact. Obviously any redox potentials on the surface arent desireable, but results are looking to be fine in comparison to previous works in the field. I was able to integrate the curve and get a value for Q, which following on i was able to find the mass of PAN in the cavity and various other info about the cavity.

I have decided to use solder, The M.P. of the solder i am using is around 200-300°C less than the glass, so we've decided to cut up some of the solder, and will heat up the tube to melt the solder for a contact between the wire and Au.If the results don't work, I think i may just go forward with platinum and not gold.The gold would be handy as there is not redox chemistry at the cavity, but needs must...

decided on an iron wire,instead of copper. its just some sort of metal which we can use to connect to the voltameter, no need to use loads of Pt or Au.

We decided just to use a 3 point probe as it was used in a few of the papers we researched. Since then the 4-point probe has popped up a fair bit, but as the results we go were good we are goin to try and continue with what we've got.

Have you done much research in the area? Any advice on what you tried, or even any paticular research papers you used would be appreciated greatly.

I did some synthetic work on liquid crystal conducting organic compounds based on n-hexylsexithienyl compounds. Others in my lab were studying thin films (grown on QCM). I also did some brief synthetic work with soluble polyphenylene polymer precursors. Back then the 4-point probe was the state of the art. Been away from it too long to be of much more help to you, though.

1. How do you make cavity microelectrodes?

Making cavity microelectrodes involves several steps. First, a silicon wafer is coated with a layer of insulating material, such as silicon dioxide. Then, a layer of metal, usually gold or platinum, is deposited on top of the insulating layer. Next, a photoresist is applied and patterned using lithography techniques to create openings where the cavities will be formed. The wafer is then etched to create the cavities, which are then filled with a conductive material, such as liquid metal or conductive polymer. Finally, the excess material is removed and the electrodes are polished to the desired size and shape.

2. What are some common setbacks encountered during the process of making cavity microelectrodes?

Some common setbacks include difficulties with lithography, such as improper exposure or alignment, which can result in incorrectly placed or sized cavities. Another issue is the formation of air bubbles or defects in the conductive material, which can affect the performance of the electrodes. Additionally, the polishing process can be challenging and may result in uneven or damaged electrodes.

3. How can setbacks in making cavity microelectrodes be overcome?

To overcome setbacks, it is important to carefully plan and execute each step of the process. This includes using high-quality materials and equipment, properly calibrating and maintaining equipment, and closely monitoring the process to catch any errors early on. Additionally, having a backup plan and being prepared to troubleshoot and make adjustments can help overcome setbacks as they arise.

4. What are some applications of cavity microelectrodes?

Cavity microelectrodes have a wide range of applications in various fields of science, including neuroscience, biophysics, and electrochemistry. They are commonly used to study the electrical activity of individual cells or small groups of cells, such as neurons, and can also be used for drug discovery, biosensing, and other research purposes. In addition, they are used in medical devices, such as deep brain stimulators, to treat neurological disorders.

5. What are the advantages of using cavity microelectrodes compared to other types of electrodes?

Cavity microelectrodes offer several advantages over other types of electrodes. They have a smaller size, which allows for more precise and localized measurements, and can be easily integrated into complex devices or systems. They also have a higher signal-to-noise ratio, making them more sensitive and accurate. Additionally, the cavities can be filled with different materials to tailor the electrode properties for specific applications.