Explaining the Insulating Effect of an Air Cavity in Terms of Heat Conduction

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cavity
In summary: Okay. Another example is which is hotter, touching a heated pot or the water in the pot?I feel these examples are unfair because the heating system is first heating the material heated by conduction and this material than heats air or liquid by convection so obvioiusly it will be hotter touching directly the first...
pivoxa15

Homework Statement

The textbook claims 'An air caivty between a brick outer wall and the inside wall helps to insulate from heat and cold.' It asks to explain in terms of heat conduction.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it because it takes a certain amount of energy to get the conduction in the brick going as a brick is a poor conductor. Once it starts rolling or conducting than it becomes hard to stop it. So by installing a cavity, this momentum of conduction in the brick is stopped and for conduction to occur again, the air molecules must break a certain energy level which is hard to attain in this small cavity.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, conduction doesn't work that way. If you write down the equations relevant to conduction through a medium, you'll see why the air is important.

Is it because air has a lower thermal conductivity constant than bricks. The lower the conductivity, the better the insulation.

But living in the open field with air all around you wouldn't protect you from cold or heat. So bricks are still needed. What is happening - it seems like an apparent contradiction.

pivoxa15 said:
Is it because air has a lower thermal conductivity constant than bricks. The lower the conductivity, the better the insulation.

But living in the open field with air all around you wouldn't protect you from cold or heat.
Not if the air is already cold, and not if the air can move. Remember that there are three modes of heat transfer. Which one do you think is most responsible for transfering heat through air (over an open field)? Does this same mode play as important a role in a layer of air separating two brick walls?

Gokul43201 said:
Not if the air is already cold, and not if the air can move. Remember that there are three modes of heat transfer. Which one do you think is most responsible for transfering heat through air (over an open field)? Does this same mode play as important a role in a layer of air separating two brick walls?

Good point. Convection is responsible for the transfer of heat through an open field. This form of heat transportation is usually much more effective than conduction, no matter how low the resistance of the solid. Correct? And that is why it can get cold and hot very quickly in the open.

The heat transfer between bricks is conduction only. My book lists the Resistance value for air as 1.0 and brick as 0.43. This implies that brick is a better conductor hence better at conducting heat than air. Hence air is a better insulator and should prevent the winter being colder and summer warmer. Although a material like polystyrene would be an even better insulator.

pivoxa15 said:
Good point. Convection is responsible for the transfer of heat through an open field.
pivoxa15 said:
This form of heat transportation is usually much more effective than conduction, no matter how low the resistance of the solid.
Are you sure about that? Which warms you up quicker; standing next to a radiator or touching a radiator?
pivoxa15 said:
The heat transfer between bricks is conduction only. My book lists the Resistance value for air as 1.0 and brick as 0.43. This implies that brick is a better conductor hence better at conducting heat than air.
This may be true, but do not forget there are different equations which model convection as opposed to conduction.

I should have mentioned that radiation from the sun is also responsible for heat transformation in the open field. In the day, this form is most dominant and the fastest of heat transformations.
Hootenanny said:
Are you sure about that? Which warms you up quicker; standing next to a radiator or touching a radiator?

This may be true, but do not forget there are different equations which model convection as opposed to conduction.

Radiation is a different form of heat tranformation. I was comparing between convection and conduction.

pivoxa15 said:
Radiation is a different form of heat tranformation. I was comparing between convection and conduction.
I meant a radiator as part of a heating system, i.e. a metal pipe through which hot water is pumped to heat a room. Let's take another example, which is hotter; standing next to an electric heater or touching the heating element with your hand?

Hootenanny said:
I meant a radiator as part of a heating system, i.e. a metal pipe through which hot water is pumped to heat a room. Let's take another example, which is hotter; standing next to an electric heater or touching the heating element with your hand?

Okay. Another example is which is hotter, touching a heated pot or the water in the pot? I feel these examples are unfair because the heating system is first heating the material heated by conduction and this material than heats air or liquid by convection so obvioiusly it will be hotter touching directly the first heated material.

A fair example might be a heating source such as radiation from the sun heats air in the open field and warms me by convection through air currents (It would be difficult to do this experiment because it would be hard to shield the radiation heat from the sun in the open field). Now compare that to the sun heating a brick home hence conduction and then me touching the brick. In fact I guess that the brick will feel hotter than the warmth of the air on by body.

pivoxa, you can not, in general, compare heat transfer by convection in fluids with heat transfer by conduction in solids. What you can compare, are only very specific cases.

For instance, if you put your hand a foot above a cup of boiling water, do you expect it to be hotter than if you were grabbing a foot long copper rod with the bottom end dipped in the water? Might the situation be different if instead of a copper rod, it was a wooden rod?

As for the original question, a thin air layer between brick walls does not support a whole lot of convection. You can assume that heat transport through air is primarily from the conductivity of air.

Gokul43201 said:
pivoxa, you can not, in general, compare heat transfer by convection in fluids with heat transfer by conduction in solids. What you can compare, are only very specific cases.

For instance, if you put your hand a foot above a cup of boiling water, do you expect it to be hotter than if you were grabbing a foot long copper rod with the bottom end dipped in the water? Might the situation be different if instead of a copper rod, it was a wooden rod?

I'd say in this case the convection form of heating does transfer more heat. Wouldn't you say? If a wooden one was used than even less heat would be transferred to my hand by conduction.

Actually, you transfer more power through the copper rod than through air...but if that example wasn't convincing, then that's all the more reason to not go by general intuition in place of the real calculation.

1. How does cavity prevent heat/cold?

Cavity walls are constructed with two layers of masonry separated by a small air gap, known as the cavity. This air gap acts as insulation, preventing heat or cold from transferring through the wall.

2. Is cavity insulation effective in both hot and cold climates?

Yes, cavity insulation is effective in both hot and cold climates. In hot climates, it prevents heat from entering the building, keeping the interior cool. In cold climates, it prevents heat from escaping, keeping the interior warm.

3. Can cavity insulation help save on energy costs?

Yes, cavity insulation can help save on energy costs. By preventing heat or cold from entering or escaping the building, the insulation reduces the need for heating and cooling, resulting in lower energy bills.

4. Are there different types of cavity insulation?

Yes, there are different types of cavity insulation, including mineral wool, expanded polystyrene, and polyurethane foam. Each type has its own insulating properties and may be more suitable for certain climates or building structures.

5. How is cavity insulation installed?

Cavity insulation is typically installed during the construction of a building. Holes are drilled into the outer layer of the wall and the insulation material is blown into the cavity. The holes are then filled to restore the appearance of the wall.