Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cayley - hamilton theorem

1. Feb 14, 2006 #1
    i met a proof to cayley hamilton theorem and have some questions.

It uses that lambda*I - A is invertible. But lambda is surely an eigenvalue of A and 1/(lamda*I - A) is not legit so how is it legal to use that.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2006 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Writing 1/(lambda*I-A) is also not allowed.

Why is lambda an eigenvalue? Who says so? It is just a greek letter, probably representing some scalar. As it is unles you post all of the proof who can possibly say whether it is correct or not.

4. Feb 14, 2006 #3
  5. Feb 14, 2006 #4
    Also I have some questions on these topics

Attached Files:

6. Feb 14, 2006 #5
    The first sentence of the proof specifically states that "if lambda is not an eigenvalue of A"...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  7. Feb 17, 2006 #6

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

I don't know about cayley-hamilton but I do know that lambda is an eigenvalue of A iff lambda * I - A is NOT invertible.

8. Feb 18, 2006 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmm? What do you mean by that (in regards to this post)?

9. Feb 18, 2006 #8

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

Ah, I misinterpreted his post. At first reading I thought he was claiming that lambda * I - A is invertible meant that lambda was an eigenvalue of A. Now I see that he was claiming lambda was an eigenvalue of A separately from that statement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?