1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CCD Camera Calibration

1. Dec 7, 2011 #1
    Hi all, I am using a (Allied vision tech Pike)CCD camera to take some images of diffraction orders in far field. Since I did not find any calibration curve from the manufacturer, i decided to do my own calibration. I basically kept gain constant and varied the shutter value in its entire range. then I repeated this for several gain values. I recorded the image for each measurement as the total intensity by summing the intensity of all pixels using a matlab code. I get the curve as attached http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52559364/Picture1.tif [Broken].

I derived a set of equations using basic fitting which define these curves in terms of gain, shutter and intensity values.

relative_gain = gain/200;
    coeff = 0.57*(relative_gain^2) - 0.44*relative_gain + 0.87;
    Intensity = coeff*((7.4e+5)*shutter + 6.2e+8);

(I derived these equations wrt to a gain of 200. So i divide each gain value by 200 to get relative gain)

Now the problem is : when i take various images at different shutter and gain value, how do i normalize them? i.e. compensate for the different gain-shutter value for each measurement. Do i just need to divide the images with the total intensity calculated?

For example i take an image with shutter-gain of 3300-200 and another with 100-10. How can I compare the total intensities of these two images?

I am really stuck. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted