1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CCD image processing - Astronomy

1. Oct 30, 2005 #1
    Hi I've just got a small problem that needs to be cleared here to allow me to do the other questions.

Statement:
    Two objects were detected in a 100-sec exposure with 3x4 CCD camera

Now you are given 3 by 4 matrices for the raw image data, bias, dark count and flat field. I've provided a link to a screen shot of the excel spreadsheet of the data so you can actually see it clearly.

LINK: http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/4324/ccddata7ev.jpg

Anyway I found an expression in the lecturer's notes that says true count is given by [tex][(raw image_m/NLG_m)-bias_m-dark_m]/(FF_m*G)[/tex]

Where the subscript m means matrix. Dark is the dark count matrix and FF is the flat field matrix and NLG and G are the non-linear gain correction and gain correction respectively. NLG and G aren't given though.

Anyway the thing that confuses me is that you can't do that operation with matrices. Unless the division of the matrix is referring to the inverse. However, since the matrices aren't square they aren't invertible. I know you do have the right inverse and left inverse of a non-square matrix, so am I meant to calculate that and apply it to the above expression?? Or have I misinterpreted the equation here?

Cheers for any help

P.S. This is just an exercise, and it does violate Rayleigh's criterion.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2005 #2
    Also if the equation I've given is the one that you're meant to use, then can you ignore the NLG and G terms since they aren't given?

4. Nov 1, 2005 #3
    Well I was talking to one of the people in my class and he said that he didn't know, but that he was just dividing the individual cells of the numerator term by their respective values in the denominator term.
    I mean the lecturer specifically had in his lecture notes that these were matrix representations, so I don't see how you can just do that. It's annoying me 'cause I'm still wasting my time on this when other people are happy just to ignore the fact that they are a matrices...The thing is I'm probably the idiot for wasting my time on it and they are probably right doing it their way.

Sorry, haha that's my rant over...just glad the unit finishes this week.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?