1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CCD overexposure

1. Mar 5, 2006 #1
    I've taken some images of faint asteroids that require 300 second exposures, and obviously I get a certain degree of blooming in most images.
    However, on images where there is a particularly bright star that star will have a black streak through it. Somebody did tell me that the CCD reading around that star will reset to zero if there is too much light or something, but can someone maybe elaborate on this?
    I mean why does it do this? I've really only encountered the "light spillage" appearance from overexposures where there is a streak of light on the image.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2006 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

If he doesn't see this, you might want to send a message to Russ Watters. I know he does photography with his telescopes. He would be a good source to ask.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?