CD Copying Protection: Ensuring Your CD Is Secure

• Thread starter electronic engineer
  • Start date
In summary, a person is seeking a way to protect their self-made CD from being copied. The suggestion is made to put a false "protection" file on the CD that only the creator can remove. However, it is noted that copy-protection schemes are often ineffective as they can be broken by knowledgeable individuals. Another person shares a story of easily bypassing a supposedly secure protection scheme. Ultimately, it is acknowledged that copy-protection is a constant battle and even the most advanced schemes can be overcome.
electronic engineer
I have built my own CD and don't want it to be copied by the others..I need some way to protect it from copying,is there ensurance way to do that?!

Computer science news on Phys.org
stick a fales 'protection' file hidden on it so you can trace it, make it so that you are the only one that can remove it, then, bobs your uncle, youve done it

Copy-protection is a cat and mouse game. You can purchase some of the more elaborate and effective copy protection schemes from a number of companies (they are not cheap, however!).

The truth is, though, that virtually every copy-protection scheme in existence has been broken. Such schemes may prevent a casual user from copying your disc, but they won't stop anyone who really knows what they're doing.

- Warren

I once had someone tell me his program was written to the hardware and that it could never run from any other device or be copied.
Very certain and insistant about this. :uhh:

I gave him a version he could load on his hard drive by lunchtime. :rofl:
I never did tell him how I did it either :devil:

It really is much as Chroot says.

What is CD copying protection?

CD copying protection is a type of technology used to prevent unauthorized copying or duplication of a CD. It is designed to protect the intellectual property and profits of the creators and distributors of the CD.

How does CD copying protection work?

CD copying protection works by implementing various security measures such as encryption, digital watermarks, and copy control mechanisms. These measures make it difficult for users to make unauthorized copies of the CD.

Why is CD copying protection necessary?

CD copying protection is necessary to protect the interests of the creators and distributors of the CD. Without it, anyone could easily make copies of the CD and distribute them illegally, leading to financial losses for the original creators and distributors.

What are the common types of CD copying protection?

Some common types of CD copying protection include Content Scramble System (CSS), SafeDisc, SecuROM, and Digital Rights Management (DRM). These technologies use different methods to prevent unauthorized copying and distribution of CDs.

What are the limitations of CD copying protection?

While CD copying protection can make it difficult for users to make unauthorized copies, it is not foolproof. Dedicated individuals can still find ways to bypass the protection and make illegal copies. Additionally, some forms of CD copying protection may also cause compatibility issues with certain CD players or computers.