CD/DVD Burner Not Burning - Troubleshooting Help

• Thread starter Homer Simpson
  • Start date
In summary: I would suggest adding a railroad spike for maximum healing.Or you could summon the old gods in a psuedo-nordic ritual to try and heal the laser. I'm sure Odin or Thor would have some knowledge of...
Homer Simpson
CD/DVD burner fried??

Hi all,

My CD/DVD burner won't burn anymore. It still reads and plays discs no problem, however when using NERO or windows Media Player to try and burn a disc it gives errors before even starting.

NERO error : 'focus or tracking error'

I hardly use the burner. Question is whether this is a Hardware problem and I need a new player/burner or possibly a software problem as my computer has so much crap on it, including multiple player/burner programs?

Thank you in advance.

Computer science news on Phys.org
It's a hardware issue.

As Morbid Steven mentioned, it is likely a hardware issue, although a corrupted driver or registry file could also cause a problem.

One way to confirm a hardware problem is to uninstall it, remove the hardware, turn on the PC to make sure the hardware is uninstalled, turn off the PC, and reinstall the hardware and let Windows Plug n' Play reinstall it. If it still doesn't work, it is more than likely hardware and time to get a new CD/DVD RW/burner. Stochastically, some components will wear out well before their design lifetime or design half-life.

Have u tried a different batch of CD's?

It sounds like a hardware error, it could also be a cd error rather than the CD burner itself, as u stated u don't use the burner much.. maybe u have only used 1 batch of cd's that were bad

Anttech said:

It sounds like a hardware error, it could also be a cd error rather than the CD burner itself, as u stated u don't use the burner much.. maybe u have only used 1 batch of cd's that were bad

This is very much incorrect.

"focus or tracking error" refers to an issue with the laser. Use google to find more information.

Morbid Steve said:
This is very much incorrect.
"focus or tracking error" refers to an issue with the laser. Use google to find more information.

:confused: :confused:

That is a GENERIC error message, that is stating the laser cannot Focus or Track.. which could mean that it cannot find the start point on a CD to start Burning!

Error messages are Generic typically.. Bar Cisco ones :tongue2:

I actually had a CD-ROM that fried. I smelled burning coming from the inside of my PC and when I tried to eject the tray, it wouldn't. It was about 3 years old at the time and I guess it worked to its limits. I had to buy a replacement (DVD burner).

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the replies guys. I have tried a few different cd disc types and different speeds (havent got any blank DVD's handy). No luck. I think I'll try smashing the unit with a hammer and see how that works out. It might effect its playback ability but on the whole I think it would benifit me.:devil:

Last edited by a moderator:
Homer Simpson said:
Thanks for the replies guys. I have tried a few different cd disc types and different speeds (havent got any blank DVD's handy). No luck. I think I'll try smashing the unit with a hammer and see how that works out. It might effect its playback ability but on the whole I think it would benifit me.:devil:

Have you checked for "fluff" on the lense? This could also stop the laser from reading the disk correctly? After say that tho, i would think that you would not be able to play disks also if that was the case...

No luck. I think I'll try smashing the unit with a hammer and see how that works out.

I would suggest adding a railroad spike for maximum healing.

Or you could summon the old gods in a psuedo-nordic ritual to try and heal the laser. I'm sure Odin or Thor would have some knowledge of electronics.

1. Why isn't my CD/DVD burner burning?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a faulty burner, outdated drivers, or an issue with the disc or the software you are using. It is important to troubleshoot each of these possibilities to determine the root cause of the problem.

2. How can I troubleshoot my CD/DVD burner not burning?

To troubleshoot this issue, you can try the following steps:

• Make sure the disc you are using is compatible with your burner.
  • Check for any visible physical damage on the disc.
  • Update the drivers for your burner.
  • Try using a different disc or software to see if the issue persists.
  • Restart your computer and try again.

3. My CD/DVD burner was working fine before, but now it's not burning. What could be the reason?

This could be due to a recent software update or a change in your computer's settings. It is also possible that the burner itself has malfunctioned. Try troubleshooting the issue using the steps mentioned above.

4. Can a damaged disc cause my CD/DVD burner to not burn?

Yes, a damaged or scratched disc can interfere with the burning process and cause it to fail. Make sure to use a clean and undamaged disc when attempting to burn data.

5. Is there any way to fix a CD/DVD burner that is not burning?

If the issue is due to a faulty burner, it may need to be replaced. However, if the problem is with the drivers or software, it can be fixed by updating them or using different software. If none of the troubleshooting steps work, it is best to consult a professional for further assistance.