CD Resurfacing: Experiences and Alternatives for Punk Rock CDs

• Thread starter Norman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rock
In summary, there is a discussion about using cd resurfacers to fix old and scratched punk rock cds. Some suggest ripping the cds and encoding them in FLAC, a lossless codec, to preserve their quality. Others recommend converting the files to CDDA and burning them onto a new cd. However, some mention potential limitations with certain devices and suggest using mp3s if storage space is an issue.
Norman
I have a pretty extensive collection of rare punk rock cds that I cannot afford to replace as the cds get old and scratched- who knew physics would pay less than punk rock- I truly didn't think it possible.
Anyways, does anyone have any experience with trying the cd resurfacers that are found in cd stores? Do they work? Are they worth their cost? Is there an easier way to do it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with dduardo here. The first thing I do after buying a new cd is burn it onto a cd and onto my computer, and then put the original cd back in the case.

Personally, I would try to write the cds to your computer before using one of those resurfacers.

dduardo said:
Why don't you just rip the cds and encode them in FLAC.

http://flac.sourceforge.net/

You can then make another cd if you need to.

This seems like a good option, but the list of supported devices seems very small. Will it play on my crappy Koss cd player? I have thought about this (storeing the files digitally) and it seems like a good idea, but my computer sucks and is full (only 2 Gb left)... I know I know, hard drive space is fairly cheap, but I am trying to be as economical as possible. I am poor.

Then encode the files in mp3s if your tight on space. The nice thing about flac is that it is a lossless codec, meaning that you don't lose any quality during the encoding process.

You don't actually burn the Flac or mp3 files onto the cds, you would want to convert them to CDDA so you can play the files on any cd player.

In most cd burning applications, when you specify that you want to create an audio cd and you select your mp3's, the program will actually convert the files for you into CDDA before burning them on the Cd.

1. What is CD resurfacing and why is it necessary for punk rock CDs?

CD resurfacing is the process of smoothing out scratches or imperfections on the surface of a CD to improve its readability and sound quality. It is especially important for punk rock CDs, which tend to be played at high volumes and can easily get scratched from frequent use.

2. How does CD resurfacing work?

CD resurfacing involves using a machine that gently buffs the surface of the CD with a polishing compound, filling in scratches and creating a smooth surface. The machine then removes the compound and polishes the CD to a glossy finish. The result is a CD that plays like new.

3. Can I resurface my own CDs at home?

While there are DIY CD resurfacing kits available, it is not recommended for punk rock CDs. These kits may not be able to effectively remove deep scratches and can potentially damage the CD further. It is best to have a professional resurface your CDs to ensure the best results.

4. Are there any alternatives to CD resurfacing?

Yes, there are a few alternatives to CD resurfacing. One option is to make a digital copy of the CD using a computer or external CD drive. This will allow you to still listen to the music without using the damaged CD. Another alternative is to purchase a new copy of the CD.

5. How often should I have my punk rock CDs resurfaced?

The frequency of CD resurfacing depends on how often you play your CDs and how well you take care of them. If you notice any scratches or skipping while playing a CD, it is a good idea to have it resurfaced. It is also recommended to regularly clean your CDs with a soft, lint-free cloth to prevent damage.