Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

.cda format

1. Sep 2, 2009 #1
    Can anyone tell me how to play this song which is in .cda format.
    i copied the song from the net and i burned it on a cd but its still not playing from the cd.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2009 #2
    Try WinDVD or PowerDVD

4. Sep 18, 2009 #3
    doesnt work...!

5. Sep 18, 2009 #4

minger

Science Advisor

I thought that .cda files were the raw files that would be copied off of a disk; not actually ripped. If that's the case, then your SOL.

Check the size, if its smaller than it should be, then chances are its the copied file off of a disk.

edit: I think I was right, see below

6. Sep 18, 2009 #5
    Yes the files are small like 12 kB when they should be about 3MB or so.
    any idea what am i supposed to do with a .cda file?

7. Sep 18, 2009 #6

minger

Science Advisor

Select => Delete

they're useless by themselves

8. Sep 18, 2009 #7
    okay....

9. Sep 20, 2009 #8
    sorry for hijacking the topic,
    I have a .cda files on my CD, and they work; but I want the songs to work on my MP3 player, so how do I get the actual MP3 songs?

10. Sep 20, 2009 #9
    how about .cda to mp3 converter?

11. Sep 20, 2009 #10
    Actually I didn`t think of it as these .cda files are only representations (as minger said); but I googled it and found programs to do it; thank you :)

12. Sep 22, 2009 #11

minger

Science Advisor

You need the original CD, and you need to rip it.

Again, you need the background information. Converting CD data to mp3 is called ripping; you need the CD.

Think of .cda files as hyperlinks which link to the actual songs themselves. If all you have are those files, then you cannot convert it to a mp3.

In order to convert, you need to rip (not copy) a CD. This can be done with any number of programs, the easiest and most common simply being Windows Media Player. Insert CD, click the Rip button, and click start.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook