1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CDF and PDF Calculations

1. Apr 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The current in a certain circuit as measured by an ammeter is a continuous random variable X with the following probability density function:
    [itex] f(x) = 0.057x + 0.272 [/itex] if 3 <= x <= 5. It is 0 otherwise.
    a) Verify that the total area under the density curve is 1.
    b) Obtain the CDF
    c) Calculate P(x<= 4)
    d) Is P(3<=x<=5) strictly less than, strictly greater than, or exactly the same as P(x<=4)
    e) Calculate P(5.4<X)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For part a:
    [itex] \int_{3}^{5} (0.057x+0.272)dx = 1 [/itex]
    So the pdf is confirmed
    For part b:
    [itex] F(x) = \int_{3}^{x}(0.057y+0.272)dy [/itex]
    [itex] = \frac{0.057}{2}x^{2}+0.272x - (\frac{0.057}{2}3^{2}+0.272(3)) [/itex]
    [itex]F(x) = \frac{0.057}{2}x^{2} + 0.272x - 1.0725 [/itex]
    This is from 3<=X<=5
    For part c:
    I said that P(X<=4) is exactly the same as computing P(3<=X<=5). So From the CDF above I did:
    [itex] F(4)-F(3) = 0.4715 - 0 = 0.4715 [/itex]
    For part d:
    I said that it would be exactly the same
    For part e:
    This is where I am getting confused, for P(5.4<X), I thought the formula was:
    [itex] 1 - F(5.4) [/itex]. However, when I do this calculation, I get back a negative value, which doesn't make any sense. So I was wondering if my computed CDF is wrong? Another thought I had was since 5.4 is out of the range of the pdf, would the probability just be equal to 1? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

For part d, I am not sure I understand the wording...to me P(3<x<5) is 1, since it covers the whole range, so P(anything else) would be strictly less than that.
    for part e, P(5.4<x) is the same as 1-P(x<5.4). Be careful not to plug an x value into your CDF which is not in the valid domain. I think all allowable x values are in [3,5].

4. Apr 13, 2015 #3
    Ok I cleaned things up a bit, I realized it was a little hard to follow. So what you are saying is my calculation for P(X<=4) is incorrect? This is NOT equal to P(3<=X<=5)? Also, for the last part I would compute 1-F(5)?

5. Apr 13, 2015 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

It looks like your calculation for P(x<=4) is correct. But it is NOT equal to P(3<=x<=5), since the latter is 1.
    And, yes, for the last part 1-F(5) would work, or just look at the (piecewise) definition of the pdf and say what ##\int_{5.4}^{\infty} f(x) dx ## would have to be. Either way you get the same answer.

6. Apr 14, 2015 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since the density vanishes outside the interval [3,5], the CDF ##F(x)= P(X \leq x)## must satisfy ##F(x) = 0## for ##x < 3## and ##F(x) = 1## for ##x \geq 5##--no calculations needed. For ##x## between 3 and 5, ##F(x)## is given by some formula involving ##x##, and you have found it (but I have not checked it).

Similarly, the complementary cumulative ##G(x) = P(X > x)## satisfies ##G(x) = 1## if ##x \leq 3## and ##G(x) = 0## if ##x \geq 5##---again, without calculations needed. Of course, ##G = 1-F##.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted