CECS (@ cal state long beach) or ECE (@ cal poly pomona) for A.I. in robotics?

In summary, CECS stands for Computer Engineering and Computer Science, while ECE stands for Electrical and Computer Engineering. Both of these fields focus on the application of computer science and engineering principles to develop and improve artificial intelligence in robotics. The main difference between CECS and ECE in this context is their focus, with CECS primarily focusing on software and ECE on hardware. Both fields contribute to advancements in A.I. in robotics, with CECS researchers developing algorithms and programming languages and ECE researchers designing and building necessary hardware. At Cal State Long Beach, relevant courses in CECS include Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, and Machine Learning, while at Cal Poly Pomona, the ECE department offers courses such as Introduction to Robotics and Artificial Intelligence in
WernerOne
Hello, unfortunately due to me not qualifying for financial aid or grants my options for school are Cal State Long Beach and Cal Poly Pomona. I am currently and undergraduate attending Cal Poly Pomona.

Well, my career plans is to get into the field of Artificial Intelligence of/in Robotics, robots, and computer systems.

I do not know what major to choose, either computer engineering or computer science. I am mostly going for Computer Engineering but the schools have differences in their CE programs;

The computer engineering program offered at Cal Poly Pomona is on the ECE department so the courses consists of Electrical and Computer Engineering. The ECE department offers a Robotic Electronics I course which is descripted as "Introduction to robotics. Kinematics, position analysis, Denavit-Hartenberg representation, differential motion, dynamic analysis and control. Trajectory planning, actuators, sensors and low-level robotic vision. Artificial intelligence". It says artificial intelligence but in order for me to have more knowledge from cal poly pomona on artificial intelligence i would have to get a minor in Computer Science or complete a CS sequence. the description of the A.I. course is "Overview of the different application areas of Al. Introduction to basic Al concepts and techniques such as heuristic search, knowledge representation, automated reasoning. In-depth discussion of several Al application areas: their specific problems, tools and techniques. Consideration of ethical and social dilemmas posed by Al. 4 lectures/problem-solving." The CS department also offers a robotic class: CS499: Robotics which is described as "This course introduces software issues involved in the development of intelligent robotics, including software control architectures, localization, navigation, sensing, and planning.", which seems more to what I am looking for.

The computer engineering program at Cal State Long Beach is with the CECS department, meaning the courses consit of Computer Engineering and Computer Science. The CECS department does offer a Artificial Intelligence class as part of the Computer Engineering program. The A.I. Course description is "Introduction to the history and implementation of artificial intelligence agents. Topics include search, constraint satisfaction, game-playing, logical agents, belief networks, optimal sequential decision systems. Project implementation." I do not think or i have not found a class on robotics on Cal State Long Beach. but i did found a CECS course on Hardware/Software Co-design which the description is "Introduction to top-down methods for hardware/software system-on-chip co-design. Design flow – system specification, software implementation, hardware synthesis, system design, and verification. Process optimization with various design decisions emphasized. Projects/case studies using system-level design methods and tools."

It looks like Cal Poly Pomona would be better because it offers Robotics Classes in both Computer Science and Electrical & Computer Engineering and an Artificial Intelligence course in Computer Science. I can get to the Robotics and A.I. courses on CS following a CS sequence or the CS minor. And i think it would look better in job applications because of the Computer Engineering Bachelors out of a program which consists of Electrical engineering as well and with a minor of Computer Science. but it will be more work than at cal state long beach.

So far i know Cal Poly Pomona integrates ( or integrated, I'm not sure if it still available) the Propulsion Laboratories (JPL) deep space exploration rover technology research into engineering and computer science. Cal Poly Pomona also has a robotics clubs.

So yes, i am confused on which college to choose between CPP or CSULB. Any insights, tips, advice, and help towards my decision is greatly appreciated, Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, congratulations on being accepted to both Cal Poly Pomona and Cal State Long Beach! Both are excellent schools and have strong programs in computer engineering and computer science.

Based on your career plans in the field of artificial intelligence and robotics, it seems like Cal Poly Pomona would be the better choice for you. As you mentioned, they have a strong focus on robotics in both their computer engineering and computer science programs, and they also have a robotics club and integration with JPL's deep space exploration rover technology research.

However, it's important to consider the differences between the two programs and what will best suit your academic and career goals. Cal Poly Pomona's computer engineering program is within the ECE department, meaning you will also have a foundation in electrical engineering. This may be beneficial for understanding the hardware components of robotics and AI systems. On the other hand, Cal State Long Beach's computer engineering program is within the CECS department, meaning you will have a stronger focus on computer engineering and computer science.

In terms of the artificial intelligence courses offered, it seems like Cal State Long Beach has a more comprehensive course with a focus on implementation and projects, while Cal Poly Pomona's course may have a broader overview of different AI applications. It may be worth considering taking additional AI courses at Cal Poly Pomona to supplement your knowledge in this area.

Ultimately, the decision will depend on your personal preferences and what you value in a program. I would recommend reaching out to current students and alumni from both schools to get their insights and experiences. You can also speak with advisors or professors in both programs to get a better understanding of the curriculum and opportunities available.

Best of luck with your decision and your future studies in artificial intelligence and robotics!

I cannot make a decision for you on which school to choose. However, I can provide some insight and suggestions based on your career goals and the information you have provided.

Firstly, it is great that you have narrowed down your options to two schools that offer programs in computer engineering and computer science. Both are important fields in the development of Artificial Intelligence in robotics.

Based on your career plans, it seems like Cal Poly Pomona would be a better fit for you. They offer courses specifically in robotics and artificial intelligence, which aligns with your interests. Additionally, their integration with JPL and robotics clubs could provide valuable hands-on experience and networking opportunities in the field.

However, it is also important to consider the curriculum and courses offered in each program. Make sure to thoroughly research the course descriptions and speak with current students or faculty to get a better understanding of the program's focus and opportunities for specialization.

In terms of job applications, having a minor in computer science and a degree in computer engineering may make you more well-rounded and competitive in the job market. However, it ultimately comes down to your skills, experience, and passion for the field.

My advice would be to carefully weigh your options and consider what is most important to you in terms of courses, hands-on experience, and networking opportunities. Both schools have their strengths and it ultimately depends on what aligns best with your career goals and learning style. Good luck with your decision!

1. What is CECS and ECE in the context of A.I. in robotics?

CECS stands for Computer Engineering and Computer Science, while ECE stands for Electrical and Computer Engineering. Both of these fields involve the application of computer science and engineering principles to develop and improve artificial intelligence in robotics.

2. What is the difference between CECS and ECE in terms of A.I. in robotics?

The main difference between CECS and ECE in the context of A.I. in robotics is their focus. CECS primarily focuses on the software aspect of robotics, such as developing algorithms and programming languages, while ECE focuses on the hardware aspect, such as designing and building electronic systems for robots.

3. How do CECS and ECE contribute to advancements in A.I. in robotics?

Both CECS and ECE play crucial roles in advancing A.I. in robotics. CECS researchers develop algorithms and programming languages that enable robots to learn, reason, and make decisions. ECE researchers design and build the necessary hardware, such as sensors and processors, to support A.I. in robotics.

4. What are some specific courses or programs within CECS and ECE that focus on A.I. in robotics?

At Cal State Long Beach, some courses related to A.I. in robotics in the CECS department include Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, and Machine Learning. At Cal Poly Pomona, the ECE department offers courses such as Introduction to Robotics and Artificial Intelligence in Robotics. Both universities also have dedicated programs and research groups focused on A.I. in robotics.

5. How can students get involved in A.I. in robotics through CECS or ECE programs?

Students can get involved in A.I. in robotics through various avenues within CECS and ECE programs. They can take relevant courses, join research groups or clubs, and participate in internships or research projects related to A.I. in robotics. Both universities also offer opportunities for students to showcase their work at conferences and competitions.