Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Celebrate The Solstice!

1. Dec 21, 2004 #1

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Take time to reflect on this cold dark shortest winter day, on the labors of the past year, now complete. Anticipate the lengthening days and spring soon to arrive. Gather with your family in the warmth and light of your homes and celebrate the Solstice!

Happy Winter Solstice to one and all!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2004 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And for those of you in the southern hemisphere the text should be:

Integral.

Quoted by Daniel.

PS.Sorry,mate,i couldn't help it... :biggrin:

4. Dec 21, 2004 #3
    and its cloudy too! bah!

5. Dec 21, 2004 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And cold...have I complained about outlawing that ? :grumpy:

6. Dec 21, 2004 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And they're predicting ice/snow! I'm seriously worried about getting myself to the airport tomorrow (I'm less worried about travel once I'm at the airport; I'll keep a complete change of clothes in my carry-on and have an extra day or two to get where I need to be in time for Christmas, I just don't want to sit in traffic on icy roads early in the morning!).

Happy Solstice to you too!

7. Dec 21, 2004 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've got a flight to catch on Thursday, and the forecast is no better then.

Perhaps I should stop saying mean things to the God of Weather. Now who would that be..........Al Roker ?

8. Dec 21, 2004 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just ain't PC to use that Chris-watchamacallit word, eh ?

9. Dec 21, 2004 #8

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Right back at ya! :smile:

10. Dec 21, 2004 #9
    Peace, joy and reflection to you as well.

11. Dec 21, 2004 #10
    Happy Solstice, Happy Hanukkah, Merry Xmas, Happy New year and a wish for a good holiday season to all.

juju

12. Dec 21, 2004 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Apparently someone...public official or gov't worker or something like that in NYC (I heard the story 3rd hand or so) got reprimanded/sued/fired (or something like that) for making the [shudder] horrible mistake of calling their holiday party a "Christmas party!"

Gokul, good luck getting out on Thursday...the snow will have actually accumulated by then! Though, I think ice is worse than snow for airports. Too bad you're probably flying out of Columbus and I'm flying out of Cincinnati; if the storm gets bad, we could have had a PF mini-gathering at the airport bar! Considering I don't have much in the way of food in my house having planned to be away for about 10 days, it will be better to be stuck at the airport than home. I'm only flying into dinky Atlantic City airport, at least it isn't a busy destination where they have to go to great lengths to coordinate delayed flights departing and arriving on both ends. There are only about 6 or 9 gates at ACY. I guess worst comes to worse, they reroute me to Philly or Newark and I hop a train to get the rest of the way.

13. Dec 21, 2004 #12

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have to admit that I considered considering those in the southern hemisphere who are enjoying the summer solstice... My apologies to any and all that find the weather to nice and the days to long. I will think of you next June!

14. Dec 21, 2004 #13

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For me to say anything else would be pure hypocrisy. Besides that, this IS the winter solstice. In ancient and more innocent times, this would be the time for feasting around a bonfire, enjoying the fruits of the fall harvest and resting for the spring planting to come.

Merry Christmas to all, and CELEBRATE THE SOLSTICE the physical reason for the season.

15. Dec 21, 2004 #14

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Happy Solstice everyone. Definitely looking forward to the light of day again.

16. Dec 21, 2004 #15
    Have not a worry, for the dying Sun shall be born again, wearing a corona, after three days… Halleluiah, Horus has risen (on the horus-risen or, horizon). :biggrin:

Happy [fill in the blank] Holidays !

17. Dec 22, 2004 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hate winter!! Well, folks, I'm sitting here hanging out at the airport. My morning flight was cancelled, the next available is 3 pm. Do I believe them that the weather is the reason for the cancellation? NO. I think it's a convenient excuse so they don't have to compensate me for the cancellation. There are plenty of other flights taking off this morning, and I'm not heading to a destination that has bad weather.

Gokul...good luck getting out tomorrow! With the holidays and security lines plus driving time, I find it is useless to call ahead...they never know the flight status before I have to leave my house. Anyway, depending on whether I can keep finding outlets to recharge my laptop batteries, I'll be on and off until my flight. But I think I need to find a different location. I'm hanging out in the airport bar because this early there are plenty of tables, but I think they have air conditioning on in here! BRRRRRRRR!

18. Dec 22, 2004 #17

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's up with Ohio? First the election, now the weather. Akron has bad weather rest of the week (my daughter flies out Friday morning).

Colorado Springs even has snow. We usually get protected by the mountains and the ridge that runs around the northern rim of the city, but once in a while you get an Alburqurque low comes in from the Southeast. Snow for Christmas, what a concept.

19. Dec 22, 2004 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the warning MoonBear. How early do you reckon I should get to Airpt ?

God, I hate this ! :cry:

20. Dec 22, 2004 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I sure as heck don't know! This is awfully early in the year for snow at all here, let alone this much! The airport is definitely showing all the usual signs of stranded holiday travelers...one person has already resorted to taking a nap in the middle of the floor. I am so thankful they've finally installed wireless here! One of my friends has an afternoon flight scheduled today, so I just left her a phone message in the hopes she is somewhere in the airport and wants to hang out. Ran into another friend earlier, but of course they were on time because they're headed to S. Dakota...the weather we have here is probably a joke to them. They have a little play area here for the kids, and it's starting to look like a daycare center!

21. Dec 22, 2004 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I really couldn't tell you. I got here really early, and it didn't help one bit since my flight was cancelled. Just pack a full change of clothes and plenty of stuff in your carry-on to keep yourself entertained! I actually have a second bag I was going to check (darn fat sweaters wouldn't all fit in my usual suitcase...probably because the largest suitcase I own is a carry-on sized roll-away; I rarely need to check anything), and decided I'll do it as a gate claim so I can keep it with me...just in case I can't get to my checked luggage and need to spend an extra night near the airport (I don't think I'm going to get all the way home from here at this point if I don't fly out tonight).

My friend just arrived a few minutes ago, so at least I'm not here by myself now. She's just off getting some food and checking the boards for her flight info. Her mom is connecting from Akron, and apparently that flight is on time so far...that is if it has even taken off yet.

The planes that are here are departing reasonably on time, there's just a line for de-icing, but the incoming flights aren't all getting here, so the problem is lack of planes! It's hard to go anywhere if there isn't a plane here to take me. :cry:

What's really pissing me off is I don't think they are getting the word out to the news stations so people can be forewarned! Even once I was here and already knew my flight and several others were cancelled, I overheard an airport official on his cell phone giving what sounded like a statement to a reporter (you can just tell by the way he was talking). He was saying that everything was fine, the airport has never needed to close since 1980-something, they have all this expensive equipment out keeping the runways clear, etc., making it all sound way better than it really is! Just make sure whoever is supposed to pick you up at your destination knows your flight number to check on your arrival time before bothering to head to the airport for you.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?