Celebrate or Not: Bin Laden's Death - Thoughts?

• Thread starter ƒ(x)
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death
In summary, people seem to be happy about bin Laden's death, but there are some who are sad about it because he left behind a 13 year old daughter.
ƒ(x)
People I know seem fairly polarized between whether or not it's acceptable to celebrate bin Laden's death. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
I play dead pools so I'll celebrate if certain notable people that I like die.

ƒ(x) said:
People I know seem fairly polarized between whether or not it's acceptable to celebrate bin Laden's death. Any thoughts?
I see it as a means of closure for thousands of grieving families, and a significant blow to the realm of terror he started.

Last edited:
ƒ(x) said:

I'm happy about it. He killed thousands of innocent people. How am I supposed to feel?

Personally, no I could never celebrate a death.

But the reaction we're seeing, I think it's more complicated than what's on the surface - it's not just a simple celebration, IMO.

It's been a tough decade. Seemingly endless wars, draining our spirit and blowing up the deficit. Still almost 10% unemployment, stagnant wages.

I think we're all just ready to either turn a corner, or let our heads explode (figuratively of course). And this event comes along...it's like the perfect catharsis.

We needed this.

On morality grounds, we can argue forever in circles and still not reach anywhere. Nonetheless from my personal perspective, I would not cherish anyone's death. I would be happy about consequences resulting from the death if there are some positive consequences.

Only thing I really felt really sad about was that Osama was killed in front of his 13 years old daughter.

Last edited:
lisab said:
It's been a tough decade. Seemingly endless wars, draining our spirit and blowing up the deficit. Still almost 10% unemployment, stagnant wages.

When it feels too tough, you can always look at people in Afganistan/Pakistan/Iraq :smile:

Here are the arguments of some people i know (no names of course):
Against:
"a life is still a life no matter how atrocious the person" - person A
"how civil of a society are we if we parade in the streets when we kill a man" - A again
"its not up to any human to decide if someone is worth being treated as a human being" - person B
For:
"bin laden left it up to his judgement whether or not he should take the lives of 3000 people. He was a menace and needed to be destroyed." - Person Z

There's more, but I think I got the main parts.

There are certain acts one can do to forfeit his humanity, and mass murder is one of them.

Last edited:
It's a celebration of justice and his death wasn't really necessary for it. I'd be almost as happy if he had been captured.

nobody cares anymore since he probably moved on from running the show a long time ago.

His gang probably did him into create a distraction. He was useless to them so they threw him out to get caught so that everyone will feel safe all of the sudden... then BOOM. <- could happen, you never know

i don't think anyone i know really cares. everyone i speak to just replies that they heard about it already.

Personally I'm kinda stunned.

The US has spent over a trillion dollars (of your money), killed many hundreds of thousands of people, and created a huge mess in other countries (Afghanistan and Iraq) and I'm supposed to think one man in a mansion actually makes a difference? You're telling me that all of the above was worth this one man?

Then people turn around and say they have defeated the terrorists. Whoever was responsible for those attacks also had a victory. The security state is what a terrorist actually wants. The terrorist wants its victim to be frightened, to be in constant fear: that's the whole point of terrorism: almost its very definition.

Look at what is happening at your airports. Do you really need to put 3 year olds through microwave machines and frisk them because they have a bomb? When people are scared, the terrorists have won.

Also when I talk about the US killing people I am talking about the US military and not your average US citizen and I understand that most US people are civilized and against some of the atrocities that have been committed.

chiro said:
killed many hundreds of thousands of people

Is it really that high?

Celebrating death will achieve nothing. I'm glad I read this and the bin laden thread to put some perspective on what is happening because otherwise (and not only in the U.S.) the response to bin Ladens death looked really ugly to me. Did the glorification thing for the Falklands War (!) and for the first Gulf War and I look back in shame. Much better to just bring bin Laden to justice, be happy that that has been achieved, leave it there and move on.

I'm just happy justice is served. I couldn't care whether he was alive or dead. Either way, we got him.

I was expecting The Sun newspaper to revive its "Gotcha" headline from the Falklands War. It came up with "Bin Bagged". Ugh!

In the west, when someone dies you usually celebrate their life, not their death.

The chanting flag wavers in the US only goes to show that the mentality of gun law and the lynch mob is still alive and kicking. Given the number of times the US administration as changed its story, it's anybody's guess what really happened. In any case, isn't this the third time the US have told the world they killed OBL?

The most interesting thing here is the tidal wave of popular protests that hasn't swept across the entire Islamic world. Apart from one statement from Hamas, does anyboby except the Washington rent-a-mob and the news media actually care? Or do they know something that the US adminstration doesn't?

Real life goes on as before. Five Bangladeshis arrested for suspicious behaviour near the Sellafield nuclear waste reprocessing site in the UK, for example...

Celebrating the death of a guy who caused the deaths of thousands isn't too bad a thing so long as people keep their heads. The thing I am most weary of is people thinking that This Is It! Osama Bin Laden isn't the evil bad guy sitting in a cave co-ordinating the worlds evil. He was one guy who was the figurehead of terrorism. This isn't the end of a bond film, it's just another step in our constant kill kill culture we've developed.

And whilst I am not an expert on how the operation was carried out I think killing him was a mistake. He should have been arrested, bought back to the US and put on trial.

AlephZero said:
In any case, isn't this the third time the US have told the world they killed OBL?
I had heard speculative reports in the past, but this is the first time our president has DNA evidence from his body in military possession. It's about as reliable as can be.

jobyts said:
Unfortunately, yes. It is very high.

A year 2008 article in Guardian estimates the number of deaths in Iraq is in between 100,000 and 1 million.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/mar/19/iraq

Well it's nice to see the accuracy they're working in. :rolleyes:

As terrible as both numbers are, that is a very large margin of error to be working in.

JaredJames said:
I'm just happy justice is served. I couldn't care whether he was alive or dead. Either way, we got him.

The US Navy got him, not "we". Give credit where credit is due.

DanP said:
The US Navy got him, not "we". Give credit where credit is due.

Well given the debate on who did what (obama/bush nonsense), I'm just using a blanket statement to avoid any further nit picking.

Clearly failed. Given your attitude towards myself in the past it's not surprising the response you gave either.

My own personal thoughts give credit to those people who actually went in and did the job - but as I said, didn't want to fuel the current debate with people.

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
The chanting flag wavers in the US only goes to show that the mentality of gun law and the lynch mob is still alive and kicking...

There are idiots all over the world not just the US .. OBL death event is heavily emotional/sentimental.

I tend to be along RootX's lines:

rootX said:
On morality grounds, we can argue forever in circles and still not reach anywhere. Nonetheless from my personal perspective, I would not cherish anyone's death. I would be happy about consequences resulting from the death if there are some positive consequences.

Only thing I really felt really sad about was that Osama was killed in front of his 13 years old daughter.

But I'll add that I do also feel upset that people "celebrated" in front off the Capital, etc. That kind of behavior fuels embers of hatred.

ryan_m_b said:
Celebrating the death of a guy

IMO it's a bad thing to do in itself, irrespective of the circumstances, agin its a personal opinion.

physics girl phd said:
But I'll add that I do also feel upset that people "celebrated" in front off the Capital, etc. That kind of behavior fuels embers of hatred.

Yes this being broadcast all over the internet will not help. Luckily, there are more "positive" responses there as well so the overall "message" being given out isn't that bad. But understandably people are not going to think about this in their initial gut reactions.

ƒ(x) said:

It is the end of an era. Dead or captured, either was acceptable. Frankly, I'm glad he's dead. You'll get no equivocation from me. But I don't see it as a celebration of death. As has been said, it is a celebration of justice.

Personally, I'm quite sad that he died. Don't get me wrong, he was an extremely evil man, but I value life too much to wish death to anybody. Also, I would think justice would be better served if we actually brought him to trial, where he had to answer for his crimes. Killing him was the easy way out, and now people in the middle-east can begin worshipping him as martyr...

micromass said:
Personally, I'm quite sad that he died. Don't get me wrong, he was an extremely evil man, but I value life too much to wish death to anybody. Also, I would think justice would be better served if we actually brought him to trial, where he had to answer for his crimes. Killing him was the easy way out, and now people in the middle-east can begin worshipping him as martyr...

I agree. I would much rather see justice dispensed by a judge than a soldier. However if there was no other way then there was no other way

micromass said:
Personally, I'm quite sad that he died.

I understand this sentiment, but OBL put himself in this position. His actions had consequences (justified IMO). Taking him alive would have been a much more dangerous operation IMO, and I don't see how any criticism can be levelled at the U.S. for the way the operation was carried out (I'm not sayng you are being critical bere, that is more aimed at what I have been reading in general).

Last edited:
ryan_m_b said:
I agree. I would much rather see justice dispensed by a judge than a soldier. However if there was no other way then there was no other way

That's the way I see it too.

cobalt124 said:
I understand this sentiment, but OBL put himself in this position. His actions had consequences (justified IMO). Taking him alive would have been a much more dangerous operation IMO, and I don't see how any criticism can be levelled at the U.S. for the way the operation was carried out (I'm not sayng you are being critical bere, that is more aimed at what I have been reading in general.

Exactly. If it was possible for his capture but they went for the kill I would be far more critical. But if there was a risk to the men performing the operation it was the sensible thing to do. It's not an end to terrorism at all but perhaps it will make the world a slightly safer place.

I think it is sad when anyone dies. I shook my head when people celebrated 9/11, and I've been shaking my head for the past few days. Humans being human..hmm imagine that.

ryan_m_b said:
Exactly. If it was possible for his capture but they went for the kill I would be far more critical.

Unless you put your life in line to capture somebody, be part of that operation or the respective the chain of command, you get nothing to say critically at the military. You can express your disagreement at the next elections, if you really consider it a big political blunder. It's easy to be critical from an armchair in front of your computer while others are fighting to keep you safe(r) in some god forgotten place in Karakorum range.

hypatia said:
I think it is sad when anyone dies.

Yeah, what can I say, I was all tears they shoot Ceausescu :P You know what I did when I seen him executed ? I laughed. I was relieved. His death was a clear marker of the end of a terrible era for the ppl of my country. I enjoyed that moment. At that time I would have gladly urinated on his grave. He destroyed the lives of millions. He deserved the bullet. I wasted no empathy on him, nor I will waste it on other humans who ruin the lives of so many others.

Humans are interesting creatures. Some of us seem to have a capacity to be sad and feel mercy for the most heinous criminals in the history. Too bad that your mercy is wasted. Wasted on beings who would not blink twice to have you killed.

<h2>What are the potential ethical implications of celebrating Bin Laden's death?</h2><p>There are several ethical implications to consider when discussing the celebration of Bin Laden's death. Some may argue that celebrating the death of any individual goes against moral values and human decency. Others may argue that Bin Laden's actions and involvement in terrorism justify the celebration. It is important to consider the impact of celebrating violence and death on society and the message it sends to others.</p><h2>Is it appropriate to celebrate the death of an individual?</h2><p>This is a complex and subjective question. Some may argue that celebrating the death of someone who caused harm and suffering is justified, while others may believe that celebrating any death goes against moral values. It is important to consider the impact of celebrating violence and death on society and the message it sends to others.</p><h2>What are the potential consequences of celebrating Bin Laden's death?</h2><p>Celebrating Bin Laden's death may have several consequences. It could lead to further acts of violence and retaliation from those who support him or his cause. It could also perpetuate a cycle of violence and revenge. Additionally, celebrating death may desensitize individuals to violence and dehumanize the person who was killed.</p><h2>How does the celebration of Bin Laden's death impact global relations?</h2><p>The celebration of Bin Laden's death may have both positive and negative impacts on global relations. It could potentially bring a sense of closure and justice to those who were affected by his actions. However, it may also create tensions and resentment among those who view the celebration as disrespectful or unjustified. It is important to consider the potential impact on diplomatic relationships and international perceptions.</p><h2>What are some alternative ways to react to Bin Laden's death?</h2><p>Instead of celebrating Bin Laden's death, some may choose to reflect on the impact of his actions and the lives lost as a result. Others may choose to focus on promoting peace and understanding, rather than perpetuating a cycle of violence. Some may also choose to advocate for justice through legal and political means. Ultimately, the way individuals react to Bin Laden's death may vary and should be respected as a personal choice.</p>

What are the potential ethical implications of celebrating Bin Laden's death?

There are several ethical implications to consider when discussing the celebration of Bin Laden's death. Some may argue that celebrating the death of any individual goes against moral values and human decency. Others may argue that Bin Laden's actions and involvement in terrorism justify the celebration. It is important to consider the impact of celebrating violence and death on society and the message it sends to others.

Is it appropriate to celebrate the death of an individual?

This is a complex and subjective question. Some may argue that celebrating the death of someone who caused harm and suffering is justified, while others may believe that celebrating any death goes against moral values. It is important to consider the impact of celebrating violence and death on society and the message it sends to others.

What are the potential consequences of celebrating Bin Laden's death?

Celebrating Bin Laden's death may have several consequences. It could lead to further acts of violence and retaliation from those who support him or his cause. It could also perpetuate a cycle of violence and revenge. Additionally, celebrating death may desensitize individuals to violence and dehumanize the person who was killed.

How does the celebration of Bin Laden's death impact global relations?

The celebration of Bin Laden's death may have both positive and negative impacts on global relations. It could potentially bring a sense of closure and justice to those who were affected by his actions. However, it may also create tensions and resentment among those who view the celebration as disrespectful or unjustified. It is important to consider the potential impact on diplomatic relationships and international perceptions.

What are some alternative ways to react to Bin Laden's death?

Instead of celebrating Bin Laden's death, some may choose to reflect on the impact of his actions and the lives lost as a result. Others may choose to focus on promoting peace and understanding, rather than perpetuating a cycle of violence. Some may also choose to advocate for justice through legal and political means. Ultimately, the way individuals react to Bin Laden's death may vary and should be respected as a personal choice.