Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Celebration cause and effects

1. Aug 28, 2006 #1
    I thought of putting this in the social science or philosophy forums, but I don't want to get too abstract about it. This is just something I've found a little confusing during life. :redface:

When great events and accomplishments happen, we celebrate them. We throw parties and serve lots of junk food and drinks. This seems counterintuitive and defeating. Why do we feel the need to harm our bodies after we or someone we know has done something good? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2006 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I doubt you're harming yourself for one night of fun.

The problem arises when someone feels the need to celebrate everyday because they are still walking and talking.

4. Aug 28, 2006 #3
    Well, the next day rarely feels very good. :tongue2:

The real question is, isn't the event or accomplishment being celebrated already a sufficient source of joy? Doesn't polluting your body with chemicals take away from that?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  5. Aug 28, 2006 #4

Mk

Junkfood is not inherently "a toxin" to us, when eaten in inproportionate quantities it may have adverse health effects.

Drinks? Some of us like how it feels to be inebriated.

6. Aug 28, 2006 #5
    The reason why junk food is junk is because it already contains disproportionate quantities of things.
    But why do it at a celebration? Some of us like how it feels to be sexually massaged, but we don't do it at celebrations.

There are other parties for that.

7. Aug 28, 2006 #6
    I don't have anything against junk food and alcohol intrinsically. Just why is it there after good things happen? Aren't you already feeling good?

Why do you need chemicals that make you feel good if you're already feeling good? :confused:

8. Aug 28, 2006 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Parties do not necessarily serve "junk" food. A lot of hors de oeuvres and canapes are quite healthy. As for drinking alcohol, the type and amount imbibed is up to the individual, a responsible person isn't going to get drunk.

Celebrating a success with good food and drink is a wonderful way to share that success.

9. Aug 28, 2006 #8
    Then I guess it's an empathy thing. Some people can't already feel good from another person's success, so they need to feel it from other things, like food and drink?

10. Aug 28, 2006 #9

Evo

Why do people have birthday parties? Why do people have weddings? Why do people celebrate anniversaries and graduations?

What, are we supposed to just nod our heads and walk by someone that has good fortune or do we want to share some comaraderie and good food and drink and music, dancing, whatever? This goes back to the beginning of time.

What exactly do you find wrong in celebrating someone's success or happiness with them by having a pleasant time together?

11. Aug 28, 2006 #10

Astronuc

Socializing often involves food and/or drinks. The food doesn't have to be junk food - it could be hour d'oeuvres or finger foods as Evo indicated, or sandwiches, and the drinks do not have to be alcoholic.

Here are some examples of food for wedding celebrations/receptions.
    http://www.cacharel.net/weddingreceptions.htm

Certainly munching on junk food or excessive consumption of soda or alcoholic beverages is counterproductive to a good time. Some people do that, many others don't.

Perhaps busy people socialize around 'special events' or to celebrate a colleages or friend's accomplishment.

At university, a group of students in our department would get together on Friday afternoons for $1 margaritas. If I joined them, I'd have a beer or two, otherwise, I would meet other friends for burgers and beer, just to relax at the end of the week.

12. Aug 28, 2006 #11
    Nothing at all. That's not what my question is about.

I just don't see the necessary attachment between "having a pleasant time together" and food and drink, especially after something good happens. People can recognize good times without providing each other opportunities to get drunk indigestion.

13. Aug 28, 2006 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's about being gracious to your guests and providing them with what makes them comfortable and happy, and it's about sharing good fortune. Back in the old days, people probably began celebrations by sharing what they had gathered in a good hunt or good harvest with others in their tribe. This likely extended itself out to other fortunate events like a wedding or a birth.

14. Aug 28, 2006 #13
    Oh, except for weddings, I also don't really know why people celebrate these things... :rofl:

Except for the actual day a baby is born, birthdays are just numbers. Aren't we beyond recognizing successful trips around the Sun as an achievement? Anniversaries aren't achievements either. When you get married, you're supposed to stay together for a number of years. That's the whole point of celebrating the wedding! Graduations are meaningless these days. Maybe they used to mean something, I'm not sure. Doctoral candidates appear to accomplish things, so I can see how people would celebrate that. :wink:

15. Aug 28, 2006 #14
    Well, junk food and drinks don't make me comfortable and happy. They don't seem to make other people comfortable and happy either. Rather, they seem to provide them a means of ignoring their own discomfort and unhappiness.

I've only ever understood it as tradition.

16. Aug 28, 2006 #15

Astronuc

Seems a bit sarcastic and cynical. Well, for one, weddings are usually times when families get together, which is especially significant for those families where sibblings of generations are dispersed. Weddings also represent the beginning of a new family and hope for the future - well that's what they should mean.

Food and drink (again not necessarily alcoholic) allow people to gather for an extended period. The enjoyment of food and drink add to (or supplement) the overall enjoyment, not necessarily substituting for the enjoyment of the gathering.

Birthdays and anniversaries are just conclusions of one of many cycles. It is a time for reflection on the past year and for the immediate and far future.

I like MIH's point about 'sharing good fortune', which is an important part of socializing.

17. Aug 28, 2006 #16
    I already said I understood why weddings are celebrated.

This makes some sense, but implicit here is that the meal is an extended one. Why people can't just have a regular meal and go on with something more fruitful is escaping me. People usually have more rewarding experiences together when they're not eating.

I don't see how reflection itself implies celebration. Reflection on something good, yes, but on a time measurement? Sounds like something a person would do at work.

Obviously.

Look, guys, I don't have a problem socializing!

I'm just confused on this particular material aspect, is all. Fortune can be shared in a literally unending variety of ways. We're not hunter-gatherers anymore. Why so much focus on food and drink?

18. Aug 29, 2006 #17

Evo

WHAT????? Not for me. :devil: No food = no fun.

People are always more comfortable in a social setting if they have something in their hands, either food or a beverage. That's very well known.

When people get together it is a common courtesy to offer refreshments. You need to study up on social graces.

Because we're still human and we enjoy eating and drinking?

19. Aug 29, 2006 #18
    We Are Celebrating Our Dying Process

Mickey,

When We Celebrate With The People Who Have Accomplished, We Are Empathizing With The People Who Have Accomplished In A Setting Where We Are Conscious About Our Dying Process. In Fact, We Only Have A Short Time Before The Dying Process Is Complete And The Inevitable Experience Of Death Is Met. The People Who Have Accomplished Are Celebrating Because They Are In A Moment Of Joy From Their Encountering Success In An Otherwise Mundane Existence. Thus, They Are Joyful Even Though They Have Accepted Their Ultimate Fate, And For That Moment...they Do Not Long To Lengthen Their Time By Avoiding Junk Food, Alcohol, And Other Harmful Substances. Serving Junk Food And Alcohol Is Their Way Of Inviting The Experience Of Empathy...an Empathy Of A Nirvana Like Experience Where Death Is No Longer The End Of A Mundane Existence. We Celebrate With The Accomplished For That Moment So We Can Celebrate The Dying Process.

20. Aug 29, 2006 #19

Evo

Actually, I just like the food and drinks. Hardees Thick Angus Beef Burgers are especialy wonderful for enjoying success. And curly fries with mayonaise. :approve:

21. Aug 29, 2006 #20
    Why We Celebrate With Beer And Junk Food

When We Celebrate With The People Who Have Accomplished, We Are Empathizing With The People Who Have Accomplished In A Setting Where We Are Conscious About Our Dying Process. In Fact, We Only Have A Short Time Before The Dying Process Is Complete And The Inevitable Experience Of Death Is Met. The People Who Have Accomplished Are Celebrating Because They Are In A Moment Of Joy From Their Encountering Success In An Otherwise Mundane Existence. Thus, They Are Joyful Even Though They Have Accepted Their Ultimate Fate, And For That Moment...they Do Not Long To Lengthen Their Time By Avoiding Junk Food, Alcohol, And Other Harmful Substances. Serving Junk Food And Alcohol Is Their Way Of Inviting The Experience Of Empathy...an Empathy Of A Nirvana Like Experience Where Death Is No Longer The End Of A Mundane Existence. We Celebrate With The Accomplished For That Moment So We Can Celebrate The Dying Process.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?