Celebrity Endorsements in US Election: Should They Matter?

• Thread starter qspeechc
  • Start date
In summary, Lisa Stansfield's song "The Moment" is about a young woman who is in love and doesn't know what to do. Tina Fey's character replies that Oprah tells her what to do. John Oliver's show "The Daily Show" talked about how in a true democracy, you want a docile and overweight population who are just too fat to be angry.
qspeechc
Well one of the big topics of discussion nowadays is the upcoming presedential election in the USA. Something I found odd and disturbing about American culture (I am not American) is all these celebrities publicly endorsing candidates, giving them publicity, etc. Like Oprah for Obama. Or many other vacuous celebrities who want to look intelligent supporting a democrat. Don't get me wrong, I support the democrats over the republicans any day of the week, but I do not think it is right that celebrities should publicly endorse and campaign for candidates (unless the candidates hire them in an official role). Celebrities have un-reasonable influence on some people. This influence is illegitimate and should not be brought in in issues as important as a general election! Who are celebrities that their opinions should influence elections? How about reading intelligent commentary from scholars ho are experts in the field, and making up your own mind. What do other PFers think?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a fundamental right to the freedom of speech. That the opinions of actors or singers carry weight is a problem with the electorate, not the celebrities.

Of course Oprah is a bit unique. She has a following that looks to her for advice about all issues in life.

I am not saying it should be illegal. I am just saying this ideally should not take place in a sufficiently mature democracy.

qspeechc said:
I am not saying it should be illegal. I am just saying this ideally should not take place in a sufficiently mature democracy.
Yes, some people will use their ability to get into the press to back their personal choices. It's just a fact of life that some people are gullible, easily persuaded, want to copy someone else, let someone else do their thinking for them, etc...

http://www.barbrastreisand.com/index.php?page=statements&n_id=934
Barbra Streisand Endorsement
(I was searching for Lisa Stansfield whom I listen once two years ago ... and now I need to find what was that song ;_) )

I know Madonna is also after Obama.

(Are all celebrities endorsing Obama? :rofl:)

Edit: Lisa Stansfield - The Moment (Just putting it here so I don't forget it again)

Last edited:
Does anyone, besides me, seem to think that the Obama commercials on TV are extremely long, annoying, and boring?

As others have pointed out, the problem isn't that the celebrities are making the endorsements, the problem is with the people who believe a celebrity's opinion about politics means anything special and listen to them. I guess it's the airheads leading the airheads. Do the candidates factor airheads into the voting demographics when planning a campaign strategy?

Moonbear said:
Do the candidates factor airheads into the voting demographics when planning a campaign strategy?

I would say that has become the focus. Why do you think McCain stated that he was going negative instead of talking about the financial crisis?

qspeechc said:

John Oliver (The Daily Show) - In a true democracy, you want a nice, docile and overweight population who are just too fat to be angry.

Oliver was interviewing Iraq's ambassador to the UN Hamid al-Bayati.
http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=187601&title=olivers-travels-iraq

Ivan Seeking said:
It is a fundamental right to the freedom of speech. That the opinions of actors or singers carry weight is a problem with the electorate, not the celebrities.

Of course Oprah is a bit unique. She has a following that looks to her for advice about all issues in life.

I was just watching an episode of 30 Rock. Tina Fey's character is asked, "What religion are you?" and she replies "I don't know, I just do whatever Oprah tells me to do." :rolleyes:

Cake's song Comfort Eagle:

Some people drink Pepsi
Some people drink Coke
The wacky morning DJ says democracy's a joke

What is a celebrity endorsement?

A celebrity endorsement is when a famous person publicly supports a candidate or political party in an election. This can include endorsements through social media, public appearances, or traditional media outlets.

Why do celebrities endorse political candidates?

Celebrities may endorse political candidates for a variety of reasons, including personal beliefs and values, financial incentives, or to increase their own visibility and influence.

Do celebrity endorsements actually influence voters?

There is no clear consensus on the impact of celebrity endorsements on voters. Some research suggests that they can increase candidate visibility and attract media attention, while others argue that they have little to no effect on actual voting behavior.

Are there any rules or regulations for celebrity endorsements in political elections?

Yes, there are rules and regulations set by the Federal Election Commission (FEC) regarding celebrity endorsements in political elections. For example, celebrities must disclose any financial contributions or in-kind donations made to a political campaign.

Should celebrity endorsements matter in US elections?

This is a highly debated and subjective question. Some argue that celebrity endorsements can bring attention to important issues and increase voter turnout, while others argue that they distract from the actual policies and qualifications of the candidates. Ultimately, the impact of celebrity endorsements on US elections is a complex and ongoing discussion.