Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Celebrity Endorsments

1. Oct 10, 2008 #1
    Well one of the big topics of discussion nowadays is the upcoming presedential election in the USA. Something I found odd and disturbing about American culture (I am not American) is all these celebrities publicly endorsing candidates, giving them publicity, etc. Like Oprah for Obama. Or many other vacuous celebrities who want to look intelligent supporting a democrat. Don't get me wrong, I support the democrats over the republicans any day of the week, but I do not think it is right that celebrities should publicly endorse and campaign for candidates (unless the candidates hire them in an official role). Celebrities have un-reasonable influence on some people. This influence is illegitimate and should not be brought in in issues as important as a general election! Who are celebrities that their opinions should influence elections???? How about reading intelligent commentary from scholars ho are experts in the field, and making up your own mind. What do other PFers think?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2008 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is a fundamental right to the freedom of speech. That the opinions of actors or singers carry weight is a problem with the electorate, not the celebrities.

Of course Oprah is a bit unique. She has a following that looks to her for advice about all issues in life.
  4. Oct 10, 2008 #3
    I am not saying it should be illegal. I am just saying this ideally should not take place in a sufficiently mature democracy.
  5. Oct 10, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

Yes, some people will use their ability to get into the press to back their personal choices. It's just a fact of life that some people are gullible, easily persuaded, want to copy someone else, let someone else do their thinking for them, etc...
  6. Oct 11, 2008 #5
    Barbra Streisand Endorsement
    (I was searching for Lisa Stansfield whom I listen once two years ago ... and now I need to find what was that song ;_) )

I know Madonna is also after Obama.

(Are all celebrities endorsing Obama? :rofl:)

Edit: Lisa Stansfield - The Moment (Just putting it here so I don't forget it again)
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  7. Oct 11, 2008 #6
    Does anyone, besides me, seem to think that the Obama commercials on TV are extremely long, annoying, and boring????
  8. Oct 12, 2008 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As others have pointed out, the problem isn't that the celebrities are making the endorsements, the problem is with the people who believe a celebrity's opinion about politics means anything special and listen to them. I guess it's the airheads leading the airheads. Do the candidates factor airheads into the voting demographics when planning a campaign strategy?
  9. Oct 12, 2008 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would say that has become the focus. Why do you think McCain stated that he was going negative instead of talking about the financial crisis?
  10. Oct 12, 2008 #9

Staff: Mentor

11. Oct 12, 2008 #10
    I was just watching an episode of 30 Rock. Tina Fey's character is asked, "What religion are you?" and she replies "I don't know, I just do whatever Oprah tells me to do." :rolleyes:

Cake's song Comfort Eagle:

Some people drink Pepsi
    Some people drink Coke
    The wacky morning DJ says democracy's a joke
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?