Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Celeron or Pentium

1. Apr 18, 2005 #1
    I heard that celeron processors are much worse than pentium processors. And I even heard that celeron 2.40Ghz processors are compatible to P4 2Ghz processors. So, whats right? Is it that celerons are actually bad or..?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2005 #2
    well my personal opinion is that the celeron is primarily a processor for small lightweight low processing laptops...so for your ave person sort of deal, yes the p4 and p4 w HT is much better, the celeron can hold its own, but the P M is soon to be replaceing the celeron as the laptops primary processor i would think

4. Apr 18, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Celerons are for people who dont really use their computers. They are slower but more reliable and take less power (so there good for lapdances).

I mean laptops.

5. Apr 19, 2005 #4
    There's no evidence that Celeron processors are more reliable and take less power than Pentium. From Intel both Celeron and Pentium are good for laptops, but more appropriate is the Intel Centrino.

Of course they are compatible (x86 family) with the same instruction sets. It depends on what you mean by 'compatible'.
    Celerons, being designed for the cheap market, have performance tradeoff. They are poor in cache compared with Pentium yelding to much worse performance. I think that it is the popular name of Intel that helps with the sales of Celeron processors.

6. Apr 26, 2005 #5
    The older Celerons gave the newer ones a bad reputation. the Celeron is basically a Pentium of the same level with part of it's cache disabled and it's bus speed locked at a reduced level. Where a Pentium may have an 800 bus speed, the Celeron's bus speed is set at 400 on the newer models. In my opinion, this is a greater limitation than the lack of cache. Bus speed affects memory transfer, data transfer, printing speeds, just about everthing the computer does. Cache has a greater or lesser affect depending on what you are doing. The combination of lower bus speed with a reduced cache, really affects performance because cache is high speed, on die, memory so it forces the CPU to go to slower off die memory, via a reduced speed bus.

That being said, I've got two Celeron computers a 1.1Ghz and a 2.8 Ghz and they both work great.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?