Where can I find equatorial coordinates of celestial objects?

• Thread starter e2m2a
  • Start date
In summary, there are many websites available that provide equatorial coordinates for celestial objects, with Wikipedia and Google being popular options. Some websites, like Starry Night and Stellarium, also allow users to search for specific objects and provide a map of the night sky. However, caution should be taken when visiting certain websites, as there may be potential risks such as viruses.
e2m2a
Does anyone know some good websites that give the equatorial coordinates of celestial objects: double stars, nebulae, clusters, galaxies,planets,etc.? Especially any that allow you to first pick the object. For example, I put in the Andromeda galaxy and it tells me its equatorial coordinates.

Thanks in advance.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Wikipedia is pretty good for this IMO. Otherwise, a Google search will usually find the coordinates very quickly. Is there a particular reason you want the data to be on a single website?

ideasrule said:
Is there a particular reason you want the data to be on a single website?

Convenience. Much easier to go to just one website to get a general catalog than having to go to multiple sites to look up different celestial objects.

But then I guess I could create a favorite folder where I put every website in.

Thanks for the info.

There's a program called Starry Night ( with a free open-source counterpart called Stellarium). They show you a map of the night sky at a given time and place. You can put the cursor on an object to get its coords, or search on an object. They are both pretty nice programs.

phyzguy said:
There's a program called Starry Night ( with a free open-source counterpart called Stellarium). They show you a map of the night sky at a given time and place. You can put the cursor on an object to get its coords, or search on an object. They are both pretty nice programs.

Thanks for the info.

Warning! Just went to the Night Sky website and my Avast software detected and blocked a virus!

Last edited:

What is a "Celestial Objects Catalog"?

A "Celestial Objects Catalog" is a comprehensive list or database of known celestial objects such as stars, planets, galaxies, and other astronomical bodies. It includes information such as their coordinates, physical characteristics, and other relevant data.

Who creates and maintains the "Celestial Objects Catalog"?

The "Celestial Objects Catalog" is typically created and maintained by professional astronomers or organizations such as NASA or the International Astronomical Union. Amateur astronomers may also contribute to these catalogs by making observations and submitting their data.

How are celestial objects cataloged and named?

Celestial objects are often cataloged and named based on their coordinates in the sky. For example, the Messier Catalog lists objects by their right ascension and declination. Other catalogs may use a combination of letters and numbers to identify objects, such as the NGC (New General Catalogue) or IC (Index Catalogue).

Why are celestial object catalogs important?

Celestial object catalogs are important for organizing and categorizing the vast number of objects in the universe. They allow astronomers to easily locate and study specific objects, track changes over time, and make new discoveries. They also serve as a reference for future observations and missions.

How often are celestial object catalogs updated?

Celestial object catalogs are constantly being updated as new objects are discovered and more accurate data becomes available. Some catalogs may be updated on a regular basis, while others may only be updated when significant changes occur. It is important for these catalogs to be regularly maintained and updated to reflect the latest discoveries and advancements in technology.